Explorer of the Seas Alaska Questions

I'll be on the September 8 sailing to Alaska from Seattle. I've always done Caribbean cruises so this is all very new to me so I hope some of you can answer questions for me.

1. Is the drink package worth it? It's on sale right now and I'm considering getting it.

2. What do they do for dinner on the nights you don't get back from port until 8:30-9:00? Most dining rooms and buffets are closed at 9.

3. Are there shows on those nights?

4. I see they took the nightclub out. Is there ANY nightlife that a 30 year old single woman would enjoy?

5. Do they offer the same drinks that are on caribbean cruises? I don't care if its cold. I want a pina colada!

6. Is this type of cruise going to be mainly older people?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I love cruising for the buffets, drink and hot tubs, Watching karaoke and going to comedy shows at night along with the club are my favorite things and just not sure if this cruise is going to be what I'm used to :)

I'll be on the September 8 sailing to Alaska from Seattle. I've always done Caribbean cruises so this is all very new to me so I hope some of you can answer questions for me.

1. Is the drink package worth it? It's on sale right now and I'm considering getting it.

2. What do they do for dinner on the nights you don't get back from port until 8:30-9:00? Most dining rooms and buffets are closed at 9.

3. Are there shows on those nights?

4. I see they took the nightclub out. Is there ANY nightlife that a 30 year old single woman would enjoy?

5. Do they offer the same drinks that are on caribbean cruises? I don't care if its cold. I want a pina colada!

6. Is this type of cruise going to be mainly older people?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I love cruising for the buffets, drink and hot tubs, Watching karaoke and going to comedy shows at night along with the club are my favorite things and just not sure if this cruise is going to be what I'm used to :)

I did this same cruise in July and had also previously sailed to the Caribbean. It will be mostly what you are used to, but some things will be different. The main difference for me was not being out on deck a lot like you would in the warmer weather.

1. I had the drink package. I made it worth it for me between at least 2 coffee drinks a day, bottled water ,soda ,and alcohol spread throughout the day. Most drinks are I would say between 9-12, with some as much as 14. I like that I can pre budget for it and it's so fun to not worry and just hand your card over !

2. I think the latest I saw all aboard was 8:30. The buffet stays open later than 9. Possibly 10 or 10:30? And there is cafe promenade. They have sandwiches,pizza, soup, and desserts. Room service is also an option but they charge now and it was the worst thing we ate one the ship.

3. There were shows every night, except maybe 1? (I gave my mom my compasses to look at or I would check). There was always some sort of entertainment at night.

4. In the Viking Crown Lounge there is an area where they have a dj and dancing every night. It's a fun place to hang out and they had decent music (dh and I are close to your age if that helps).

5. Yes any drink you want they can do at any bar!

6. We saw a wide range of cruisers. Lots of families but maybe less when you go in September due to school being in.

You will have a great time. We actually booked again for next year!

And watch out for the hot tubs, they were not always very hot on our trip. Maybe 50/50. Not sure why. Everyone who was in them said the same thing.

All the on board activities you mentioned will be the same so enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We sailed on Explorer in June and had a great time. It is going to be pretty cold during most of the cruise make sure you have some warm clothes, it was mostly in high 40's to mid 50's when we went but you could have some warm days, in the 60's . Not a lot of outdoor activities on pool deck other than movies showing and selling warm weather clothes,which we did get some gloves and beenie caps.

We enjoyed it very much and very different than a Caribbean cruise. The scenery is breathtaking and well worth it in my opinion.

We sailed on Explorer in June and had a great time. It is going to be pretty cold during most of the cruise make sure you have some warm clothes, it was mostly in high 40's to mid 50's when we went but you could have some warm days, in the 60's . Not a lot of outdoor activities on pool deck other than movies showing and selling warm weather clothes,which we did get some gloves and beenie caps.

We enjoyed it very much and very different than a Caribbean cruise. The scenery is breathtaking and well worth it in my opinion.

Do they sell or rent wet suits in case the flowrider is operational? If it does open up, I know my teenager will want to try it.

Do they sell or rent wet suits in case the flowrider is operational? If it does open up, I know my teenager will want to try it.

I've not seen wet suits for rent. Possibly for sale if the dive shop was staffed, but I would not be surprised if it was closed for the Alaska season.

During our sailing the FlowRider most of the time was closed due to being too cold, low 50's. Not really sure if I was ever open at all but we didn't go up there but only a couple of times. The wind was bone chilling, prob in 30's with wind chill.

During our sailing the FlowRider most of the time was closed due to being too cold, low 50's. Not really sure if I was ever open at all but we didn't go up there but only a couple of times. The wind was bone chilling, prob in 30's with wind chill.

We will be going in August so hopefully we will have warrmer weather. I had read on here that the air temp needs to be above 50 for it to be operational.

I did this same cruise in July and had also previously sailed to the Caribbean. It will be mostly what you are used to, but some things will be different. The main difference for me was not being out on deck a lot like you would in the warmer weather.

1. I had the drink package. I made it worth it for me between at least 2 coffee drinks a day, bottled water ,soda ,and alcohol spread throughout the day. Most drinks are I would say between 9-12, with some as much as 14. I like that I can pre budget for it and it's so fun to not worry and just hand your card over !

2. I think the latest I saw all aboard was 8:30. The buffet stays open later than 9. Possibly 10 or 10:30? And there is cafe promenade. They have sandwiches,pizza, soup, and desserts. Room service is also an option but they charge now and it was the worst thing we ate one the ship.

3. There were shows every night, except maybe 1? (I gave my mom my compasses to look at or I would check). There was always some sort of entertainment at night.

4. In the Viking Crown Lounge there is an area where they have a dj and dancing every night. It's a fun place to hang out and they had decent music (dh and I are close to your age if that helps).

5. Yes any drink you want they can do at any bar!

6. We saw a wide range of cruisers. Lots of families but maybe less when you go in September due to school being in.

You will have a great time. We actually booked again for next year!

And watch out for the hot tubs, they were not always very hot on our trip. Maybe 50/50. Not sure why. Everyone who was in them said the same thing.

All the on board activities you mentioned will be the same so enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

That is very helpful! I know On past cruises the buffets were closed by 9 so that's good there are options. Im glad to hear about the dj!

We will be going in August so hopefully we will have warrmer weather. I had read on here that the air temp needs to be above 50 for it to be operational.

The official number I was quoted by the staff was 11C (or 52F), but at the same time they said it was subjective. They might have it open if it's sunny and no wind and 50F, but close it if it's raining, windy and 60F.

Also, don't assume the ride is closed if you don't see it operating. At least twice I had the ride all to myself. Walked back there and only one staff member was bundled up in the sign up booth - which you couldn't see from anywhere else. Turned on the unit for me, I rode till I got tired and then he turned it off.

Going next year and have been reading as much as I can about clothes. I get the layer part, but I was curious as to what most people pack for rain gear. We are a family of 4 and at this point we don't really have other uses for a full set of gear, so I cant see going out and spending a lot of money. Did yall buy new stuff for one cruise, or did you find a good, cheap alternative?

Going next year and have been reading as much as I can about clothes. I get the layer part, but I was curious as to what most people pack for rain gear. We are a family of 4 and at this point we don't really have other uses for a full set of gear, so I cant see going out and spending a lot of money. Did yall buy new stuff for one cruise, or did you find a good, cheap alternative?

We had a lightweight waterproof windbreaker type outer layer, with hoods. We also had real cheap ponchos we could use if it got really bad.

We cruised on the Explorer the first week in September this past year out of Seattle. We were lucky in the weather department and didn't need rain gear. We brought a lightweight rain jacket just in case and hiking boots. There weren't a lot of kids on board and the crowd was mostly older. The stores in the ports are getting ready to close for the season, so there are a lot of sales. On days we departed late, we ate in port and grabbed a snack back on ship.

Krystal, hello fellow Charlestonian!!! I'm on the cruise before you! I'm going to try to post while on board, so stay tuned!

What is the makeup of your CC group? Have you looked in the "book" to see if anyone has a chat there? Our date has a group there so I've gotten to see everyone's face. We are an eclectic group of all ages. I've seen all the compasses and they have evening singles parties and lunch get togethers.

Do you have MTD? I've booked later dining reservations on the evenings we are in port.

Older people can be lots of fun, too!!!

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheryl

I was on the June 30th cruise and I thought the nightlife was good (I'm 32, so I figure we have the same age range preferences).

Karaoke was always crowded and fun. They have the typical karaoke nights and then one big karaoke “contest” event in Studio B.

“DJ Wells” was all right. Though there was one night in Dizzy’s (Deck 14) that was so packed and crowded, it felt like a real nightclub. I was shocked and impressed, and of course, got my dance on. However, on the last night, nobody was really there, so I guess it’s hit or miss.

The Quest game was about half full of participants, but still fun.

There was lots of stuff to do and I was never bored, thanks to the awesome Cruise Director’s Staff. I don't want to overhype her, but Silvia is the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back from Explorer of the Seas, Aug 18- 25th. Go say hi to Jose and Francisco for me on the 5th deck (bartenders).

Drink package is worth it! Cruise is for all ages! You'll be on the ship more often than not (cruising). Did i say drink package is worth it, lol yes it is!!!!!!;)