NCL Newbie with a few questions

cruisingirls

I have cruised 2 times previously with RCI-we we love, but we are 90% convinced that we are going to book an upcoming cruise on NCL Gem. I just have a couple of questions:

1-other than the obvious, freestyle dining, are there any big differences between NCL and RCI cruises?

2-We are considering booking an obstructed oceanview cabin-is it worth it? On my first cruise I had an inside cabin and the 2 most recent we had balconies. I think the price difference between inside and obstructed is $20/pp-so no big deal, but how obstructed is it? I am guessing that it will be enough to let in natural light and let us know whether it is day or night out, but we probably can't see anything, correct?

3-??? I had a 3rd question when I started this post, but I can't remember it now!! I'm sure it will come back to me!

Thanks for your input.

The only real difference is Freestyle (as in dining times and dress codes). Since you can dine whenever, you can also be flexible with the shows (usually two stage shows each night). For instance, on our recent RCL cruise, some of the specialty shows (Newlywed, etc) took place during our set dining time (so we missed them). On NCL, you can adjust your meal times to suit the rest of your evening plans.

We had an obstructed view on the Dawn which had very little obstruction (5%). It was great. At the time, someone here on Cruise Critic gave us a link to a site that shows the percentage obstruction for each cabin. Of course, I can't find it now! Hopefully someone else will still have the link. If you're using a good TA, they might be abe to tell you the percentage. At any rate, you will get some natural light.

Archived