SPIRIT lost our luggage

PittyBoon

Hi there...we just got back yesterday from the Spirit. Wonderful trip. However, The disembarkation was a nightmare and to top it off they lost my mom's luggage. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? They said they would cover 100.00, which barely covers the cost of her suitcase. Do all cruise lines have that big room that everyone just goes in gets their own luggage? It was so chaotic, and stressful, and there were a number of guests who were missing luggage. It was either left on the boat, or taken by another passenger.

Any advice, or experiences? I feel so bad for my mom right now!

i feel bad for your mom, also.

good lesson for others reading this..

yes, that's how the ships do it...yes, someone can walk off with the wrong luggage. hopefully, the person who took your mom's will call the cruiseline and let them know. i put my address and phone IN the luggage as well as on a tag, on the handle. airlines and cruiselines have very limited replacement on luggage..i know it hurts, but it covers them from the people who say they lost thousands of dollar in jewelry.

i hope she had all her personal stuff in a carry-on, with her.

the porters double check the luggage, when they are helping someone. but some people, like me, don't use the porters.

i gather you filled out a report?

this is the reason some do "express" disembarking, but then you have to carry ALL your own luggage off and that's not easy for some of us.

let us know what happens, i hope it's returned soon.

Hi there...we just got back yesterday from the Spirit. Wonderful trip. However, The disembarkation was a nightmare and to top it off they lost my mom's luggage. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? They said they would cover 100.00, which barely covers the cost of her suitcase. Do all cruise lines have that big room that everyone just goes in gets their own luggage? It was so chaotic, and stressful, and there were a number of guests who were missing luggage. It was either left on the boat, or taken by another passenger.

The same thing happened to us in Dover. We were on the Dream. What happened was, my wife's suit case fell off the conveyor belt and nobody found it for an hour. We had one of the NCL reps look for it. He said it fell off by the corner in the back. It made us very late. We couldn't get on our original bus. We had to take another one. We missed our flight back for Heathrow, but it wasn't because of the the lost luggage at the port. Then British Airways lost our luggage . It took us 3 days to get our luggage back.

We had a great cruise though.

Had a near loss of luggage off the Dawn once in NY. We couldn't find one piece (of course it was the largest carrying the most)..Found it as we finally gave up and were leaving the luggage area. Seems another passenger must have taken it and when they neared the exit, realized that it wasn't there and just left it:mad: Should be happy that they did, but come on, return it to where you found it! Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do to make sure that your luggage remains in the luggage area til you get there..... unless you buy really ugly luggage:D

Had a near loss of luggage off the Dawn once in NY. We couldn't find one piece (of course it was the largest carrying the most)..Found it as we finally gave up and were leaving the luggage area. Seems another passenger must have taken it and when they neared the exit, realized that it wasn't there and just left it:mad: Should be happy that they did, but come on, return it to where you found it! Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do to make sure that your luggage remains in the luggage area til you get there..... unless you buy really ugly luggage:D

Exactly the same thing happened to us on a RCCL cruise years back. Someone must have mistakenly took it and dropped it at the exit door(nowhere near the conveyor belt). Although, we were relieved to have found it. Hope all works out well for you and your Mom. This happens on airlines too(Misplaced/mistakenly taken)

Just happened to us coming off the Gem on 1/26/2008. We were among the first off the ship at 9:30 am, with the VIP group, yet still experienced having someone take my bag by mistake. He even had the assistance of the Concierge, though not sure to what extent. I know that because "Claudio" tried to help us locate our missing bag, and when he saw a "lonely" bag the other guy left behind standing next to our other three bags, he told us that he had just seen that guy off.

We were fortunate for a few things: 1. The guy left his bag behind; 2. My cell phone was on a separate luggage tag on my bag, as the NCL tag requests "Home Phone". 3. The guy lived in NJ. about 45 minutes away. 4. The guy was honest and cared to get the bag back to me ASAP.

The whole ordeal cost us about 3 hours of our time, and caused a significant disturbance on the home front in Connecticut, where each of our 3 adult children's families were disrupted by the inconvenience, as each altered their Saturday afternoon plans to tend to "missions" related to our late arrival. One factor we were most grateful for was to arrive home with souvenirs for our three grandkids, who are always happy to have us home, and who are also very appreciative for receiving our "traditional" trinkets upon return. The "guys" in the family were also appreciative of the Caribbean Rum we brought home for them!!

My bottom line to this is that I can't really think of a "fool proof" alternative to their methodology, as much as I tried over the course of the three hours we searched and waited in the terminal, and after. There could be some cumbersome and time consuming baggage ticketing and accounting system set up, but there would still be problems. I do take away from this the importance of putting your cell phone number on the luggage, as well as inside, despite NCL reminders to remove "all other tags". I will also look into my insurance coverage prior to our next cruise, as you are certainly right about the $100 being insufficient.

I can't help but also mention here that the staff in the terminal were most helpful and dedicated to trying to find my bag, from the NCL staff located there to the porters to the "Cruise Link" staff employed at the terminal to provide assistance to the embarkation and debarkation process. Though they were not involved with the "discovery", they couldn't have done a better job. Even though I "overtipped" the porter because he lost time helping us with our bags because we also had the other guy's bag, and had to go to our car and return, etc., I'm sure he lost out on tips because of it.

Misery does love company, but it doesn't really help solve the problem.

I think I'll invent luggage with GPS tracking devices......

But one way to seriously discourage someone mistakenly taking your luggage is to mark it to be unique. We use purple duct tape on the handles and neon TSA locks. I wouldn't recommend shower poofs as I heard some like to use. They come off but can also get caught in the many conveyors belts, especially if you're flying.

this problem is becoming more common all the time it seems. Luckily we have never lost a piece and to be offered only $100 doesn't seem very fair. Of course if you had insurance which you didn't mention, everything will be different. Hopefully whoever picked your mom's luggage up will find a way of notifying you and all will end happily.

Nita

I think I'll invent luggage with GPS tracking devices......

But one way to seriously discourage someone mistakenly taking your luggage is to mark it to be unique. We use purple duct tape on the handles and neon TSA locks. I wouldn't recommend shower poofs as I heard some like to use. They come off but can also get caught in the many conveyors belts, especially if you're flying.

I agree! I have some red and silver metalic curly Xmas ribbon on the top handle and on the side handle I have a hidious colored scarf. Nobody would want my luggage as they'd be scared I have the same awful taste in clothing as that ugly scarf! :eek:

OP.. so sorry for your loss of luggage. Better they lost it after the trip than before but I do feel bad for your Mom.

Winnie

Sorry you lost your luggage but it is not really fair to blame NCL. Once the luggage is put on the pallets to be taken off the ship the responsibility goes over to the port for your luggage. Most likely the luggage was taken by someone with something similar. Sad part is that it is gone, but it is not fair to blame NCL unless you know that it never left the ship.

This is one of my biggest fears. No, My biggest fear is that it will not get to my room on the ship, then the fear of it not being there when I get off. On our last cruise someone lost their carry on with all their medication. The never saw it from the pier. I have no idea how you get your pikks on a ship. (I would keep mine in my reach at all times)

Learned a few valuable things from reading about Tomct's trials and tribulations.

From now on, we'll put our cellphone on the tag. Have always put the home number instead.

Will look for something colorful to mark the bags individually.

Actually we had the reverse happen. One of our bags didn't show up at the room. Much later on the stewards delicately asked me if I "had any bottles in it.";) (no)

Much much looking ensued and it seemed they had a whole team hunting down the bag. Finally found it with the unmarked untagged luggage even though all 3 bags got the "official" luggage tags put on right at embarkation and the other 2 made it. The bag on the last one was completely off.:eek:

It took quite a few extra hours to find it but I finally got it later that evening.:D

Some folks have gone to the "extra precaution" measure to ensure they don't lose their luggage. The wife of a couple we know, purchased new, expensive set of luggage for their cruise to Alaska. Husband of couple thought "Oh no! Someone will surely steal our luggage because it's very expensive and we'll lose everything!" Wife comes home one evening to find brand new luggage outside with the family name SPRAY PAINTED IN ORANGE on both sides of each piece!!!!! Husband quite pleased with his handiwork, less pleased with wife's FOOTWORK!:eek: BTW They did have a wonderful time on the Alaskian Cruise and NOBODY took their luggage, lots looked but no one touched.

What card did she book her cruise with? It might be worth looking into. Also, some homeowners policies will cover her loss.

I also have these giant hideous neon flower luggage tags on all of our bags, with both my cell and DH's cell on them. Ugly, yes, but easy to pick out of a crowd.;)

Hope it turns out ok...

Cell phone on all tags, going and coming.

Multiple tags are good idea.

Name INSIDE luggage as well.

Since bags have to get off the ship for 1000+ people,the big room is gonna happen. No way around it unless you carry them off yourself. Luckily most people do NOT do that. Imagine THAT mess.

Could be NCL's fault, but just as well could be someone else.

Let us know how it turns out.

Wow, thank you all for the insight on what to do! We will take out 1st cruise in August and I am on here getting ALL the info that I need. LOTS of great ideas and hints on here! Anyone else cruising the NCL Spirit 08-31 out of NY?

We have a 4 year old and are looking for anything that will make this a great cruise! Any info, hints, tips or ideas are HIGHLY welcomed!:p

Wow, thank you all for the insight on what to do! We will take out 1st cruise in August and I am on here getting ALL the info that I need. LOTS of great ideas and hints on here! Anyone else cruising the NCL Spirit 08-31 out of NY?

We have a 4 year old and are looking for anything that will make this a great cruise! Any info, hints, tips or ideas are HIGHLY welcomed!:p

You might want to check to see if there's a roll call started for your cruise. That's a great place to get acquainted with people ahead of the cruise. By the time you meet up on the ship, it's like seeing old friends again (except you won't know what they look like unless you exchange photos!). Roll calls are also great for finding out about other children on your sailing and the excursions every one is interested in.

We won't be on the Spirit until 1/11/09 our of NOLA.

I picked up this tip from the boards:

On our last cruise, I took a small roll of clear packing tape and scissors(in a checked bag, of course). I covered the luggage tags for boarding and cut them off and replaced with the colored tags for disembarkation. No way those tags were accidently coming off my bags.

I noticed people checking out my fancy luggage tags when the bags were piled in the hall.

I think most missing luggage is the result of honest mistakes and/or missing tags. (almost)Noone wants YOUR luggage, only their own.

Good luck to the OP's mom - unfortunately, sometimes our problems only serve as a lesson to others :), but thanks for posting since this thread will probably help many.

I had never thought to put my cell number on the tags.

We had it happen when we were in Disney world. We stayed at the Contemporary and had checked our luggage at the front desk until we boarded the bus to the airport. When we boarded the bus all our luggage was there except for one of my brother's bags.

It turned out that they accidently put it on the cart with the luggage of someone checking in. The people left it in their room the whole week until they checked out. We are still trying to figure out why you would hold on to someone's luggage for a week before turning it in. :confused:

the other thing, put both names or all names of the family. sometimes the luggage had my name, but if they were looking for my DH's name..they might miss it. (common last name...could be several on the ship) now i put both names on the tags and both names on the paper in the luggage.

i, also, put his business card..with his work number. if they miss us on the cell, they can get the receptionist at work.

my FIL had red yarn on his old luggage, when he visited us..he was laughing. seems every piece of luggage, on his flight, had red yarn!

printed clearly...or type it.

We have a couple things we do to make things a little nicer if luggage gets lost on the way to the cruise or delayed getting to the cabin. My husband and I split up our clothes and pack half in each of two suitcases. That way if one gets lost we at least have part of our clothing to get by with.

Also, we always pack our important toiletries and one change of clothing and bathing suit in the carryon. Thanks goodness my husband followed that rule when he flew to Paris to meet me on a business trip. His luggage was lost for 24 hours but he didn't really get inconvenienced that much.

On a funny note, we always wondered if the porters ever drop luggage into the water. Our friend had that happen to her on Carnival! The ship was really great about it and got all her clothes dry cleaned and gave her some clothes from the gift shop. All her makeup was ruined though and she felt rather unfinished for the rest of the cruise. She's the type to just laugh about it so it didn't ruin her cruise.

Archived