Has anyone done the Kennedy Space Center excursion?

cruisingirls

My husband and I have been looking at this excursion. We are "mildly" interested in the space program, but are by no means space buffs. Since we are going to Port Canaveral we would hate to miss the space center, but the excursion is for 7 hours-which seems like a long time. Will there be enough there to hold our interest for that long?

Thanks

I'm not sure which excursion you are looking at, but we did this five years ago, so it may have changed.

We went on our own, by taxi, and took the tour offered by the space center. It may have changed, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I am by no means a space buff, but the information presented about the construction of the rockets, etc., was unknown (It just never occurred to me how *heavy* they are and that the roads need to be reinforced) and the simulated space launch was captivating.

If you want to spend less time, you can go on your own as we did. There are taxis at the Center to take you back.

el henry

I would agree with taking a taxi. KSC is huge, there are several tours and you could go at your own pace and see what interests you. We have been there three times, each time it has gotten bigger. We grabbed a cab just as we got off the ship. The cab driver gave us her card and we called her when we wanted to leave and she picked us up no problem. It was about $50 (I think, it may have been less) for a return trip.

It was really interesting and worth spending a day there. Check out their website to see what tours are offered.

I hope that helps!

My husband and I have been looking at this excursion. We are "mildly" interested in the space program, but are by no means space buffs. Since we are going to Port Canaveral we would hate to miss the space center, but the excursion is for 7 hours-which seems like a long time. Will there be enough there to hold our interest for that long?

Thanks

:)

We did the Space Center in 06 & 08 .There is enough to keep you busy for two days , maybe longer.

:)

We just got off of the RCCL Soveriegn of the Seas last Friday morning in Port Canaveral and had most of the day to spend in the area before our 6;30pm flight home from Orlando.

I dropped my DW off at the Mall at Merritt Island and eagerly headed up to the Space Centre. It was packed but, not surprising since it was Daytona 500 weekend (I guess all of the Good ol' Boys do the touristy things, too). I believe that if I had stayed in line it would have taken close to an hour to pay and get in.

The minimum admission is $38 and includes all of the museum stuff and a basic bus tour.

There are two $58 tours; one covers more of the Nasa historic stuff (Mercury, Gemini and Apollo) and the other is slanted toward the more modern Shuttle and Space station stuff. Each has a more detailed bus tour.

I only had three hours and knew that it wouldn't be enough time. So I left the line and sadly got into my car.

There is a ton there that is interesting. I really enjoyed the tour and the two IMAX movies. I don't think I got to see everything and could have used more time.

However I have a caution about taking a taxi. I shared a taxi out with another couple. There were not alot of people going on their own and it seemed relatively expensive to get a cab out. The driver wanted us to prepay for him to return to take us back. We were told there would be plenty of cabs there to take us back if we did not. We elected not to prepay but got his card anyways. At the end of the day there were no cabs there to take us back. We called the driver who said he had another fare and could not come to get us. Luckily another person had one coming from his hotel and we managed to hitch a ride back to the ship but it was the only vehicle in the parking lot at the end of the day that was not a private car. So you may want to take an excursion and not worry about it. It turned out that with the price of the two cabs (one out and one back) + the tour it was pretty close to having paid for the excursion and would have been less stress.

Cheers,

Michelle

DH and I visited the KSC a few years ago during the lull in flying after the Columbia disaster. We loved every minute we were there. There a bus tour that is a get off and on at your pace that takes you to various stops in the complex. The first stop when we were there was as close as we could get to the launch pads. Another stop was all about the Appolo program and had a simulated launch of the Saturn 5 for the moon landings in the actual control room. There were scheduled talks by astronauts during the day. Most events are included in your admission price.

We could have spent another full day there trying to see and do everything.

• Administrators

Thanks

I'm a huge space buff. I took my first trip to "Cape Kennedy" (before they tweaked the names back to the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral) in June 1969, before Apollo 11 launched. I still have a blow up of a photo from that trip on my wall, and "earthrise" from Apollo 8 is on my mousepad. In the last ten years I've spent right at 96 total hours at KSC, another 50 or so at the Johnson Space Center (Mission Control at Houston, as in "Houston, we have a problem"), about half a day at the Stennis space facility in Mississippi, and about 6 hours at the Huntsville, Alabama rocket facility.

For me, I love KSC. I think the VAB (the Vehicle Assembly Building, which is so high it creates its own weather) is just fascinating. I love standing next to the unused Saturn 5's left behind when Apollo was cancelled and realizing just what was involved in sending men to the moon. I love the rocket garden, the Astronauts Memorial, the IMAX films... well, I could go on, but basically I love it. :) I do recommend taking at least one of the bus tours to visit launch pads and other facilities.

That doesn't mean everyone will, or should, love it as I do. There is downtime in the KSC day, some things aren't as interesting as others, and if you aren't a space buff at all, it might bore you beyond words. I guess my question would be... what will you do instead that day? If there's something that would appeal to you more, go for it. I'm not an evangelist, just a disciple. :)

Thanks

There were two tours when we went, do the long one it is fantastic. We ended up in the education unit, the lady gave us a lot of literature to take back to school, the day was all too short.

I've been there many times and never tire of it. THe last time we went afew months ago we went on what they called a VIP Tour. First time I ever saw the landing strip the shuttle uses. CLoser look at the launch pads etc. Plus a great tour guide. Being a big fan of th space progam I even got to mention a couple things to her whic she appreciated. As mentioned by another poster above, the Saturn display is probably the top thing there. It still gives me a chill when I think about the magnitude of that project and it's great to see a fitting reminder of it.

We booked on the 7 hour tour with the extra features on our Gem cruise starting March 1st. DH is more of a space buff than I am but I think this is a great opportunity to see something that we have never seen before. And as the previous poster said what esle would you do? We've been to Disney too many times.

I do have one question, the description of he excursion does not mention that lunch is included. Do they give you time to get lunch on your own?

I do have one question, the description of he excursion does not mention that lunch is included. Do they give you time to get lunch on your own?

Ther are a number of places to eat while at KSC. There are some in the main area as well as one at the Saturn/Appolo display.

We enjoyed it all very much expecially the Close Up Tour so now we have a much better impression of what is ging on.

We were very dissapointed in the Shuttle Launch Simulator so if you do not have much time do not stand in line for it.

We can highly recommend the Astronaut's Hall of Fame with many, many items used during flights. This is included in the cost for the general admission. Also note that general admission gives you admission for 2 days.

Archived