Kinsale or Cork City

jshli

We are stopping on our cruise at the port of Cobh next year and are debating whether to take the 4 hour Irish countryside and Kinsale shore excursion which allows 1 hour in Kinsale and then spend the rest of the time exploring Cobh. The alternative is to take the train to Cork city and spend the morning there and the afternoon exploring Cobh. We have been to Ireland before so have been to the Blarney Stone etc, and trying to figure out the best use of our time. Any feedback is most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
We are stopping on our cruise at the port of Cobh next year and are debating whether to take the 4 hour Irish countryside and Kinsale shore excursion which allows 1 hour in Kinsale and then spend the rest of the time exploring Cobh. The alternative is to take the train to Cork city and spend the morning there and the afternoon exploring Cobh. We have been to Ireland before so have been to the Blarney Stone etc, and trying to figure out the best use of our time. Any feedback is most appreciated.

I’d go for the train to Cork option. We did a do it yourself Walking tour of Cork but there is a guided tour if you prefer. There’s also a hop on hop off bus.

As an alternative, the last time we were there ( last year) I arranged a private excursion through Butlers Coaches. This was to visit the gardens of Lismore Castle ( apart from the tearoom / art gallery the Castle itself is not open to the public) We took, from memory, a 16 seater coach and booked the Head Gardener for a private tour. On the way back the driver took us to Cobh Cathedral before returning to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the info. Our ship docks in Cobh at 9:00AM and leaves at 8:00PM. Would this allow us enough time to take a train to Cork, walk around the city and take the train back to Cobh with time to explore the town, or is this trying to do too much with not not enough time in either location?

Thank you for the info. Our ship docks in Cobh at 9:00AM and leaves at 8:00PM. Would this allow us enough time to take a train to Cork, walk around the city and take the train back to Cobh with time to explore the town, or is this trying to do too much with not not enough time in either location?

Yes, you will have ample time — Cobh itself is not a very big place but does of course have Titanic interests which are within easy walking distance of where you are likely to be berthed — which conveniently is right beside the railway station.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm putting in another vote for Butler Tours. Although we did the typical bus tour with them (Blarney Castle, Blarney Woolen Mills, Charles Fort, Kinsale, Cathedral), our driver Kevin was such a great tour guide and I loved seeing the countryside on the way to Kinsale. I'm sure they would package you a custom tour.