Croatia

Been living here in the Dubrovnik area for the past 10 years. I find it to be a good choice for me, some may not. Very low crime rate, good weather and a clean and safe sea for swimming, note that our fresh seafood is some of the best in Europe. I can afford to live nicely here, if I returned to the USA I would be probably be homeless. Not by choice but by my limited income. Other than poor drivers here, I love it.

Been living here in the Dubrovnik area for the past 10 years. I find it to be a good choice for me, some may not. Very low crime rate, good weather and a clean and safe sea for swimming, note that our fresh seafood is some of the best in Europe. I can afford to live nicely here, if I returned to the USA I would be probably be homeless. Not by choice but by my limited income. Other than poor drivers here, I love it.

Eeeeek! Poor drivers? 😱 Do I need to worry about a private excursion with a driver? Your village is one we'll be visiting.

There are poor drivers all over the world, we have our fair share. Dubrovnik is not a village, a very large town or small city. Our tours drivers are some of the best, they drive the roads daily and often many times a day. There is no need to be concerned about your excursion at all.

Thanks for all the information. I have been thinking of driving in this area, but wasn't sure best way to do it. I knew we couldn't take a car from Italy, so a bus or ferry or fly in. Slovenia and Istria are high on my list. We have visited Dubrovnik several times on cruises and found it pretty but too touristy and expensive compared to Split. I also was deliberately shortchanged by a transit official so that colours my feeling.

I also would highly recommend Portugal, it was better than I expected. Great food, incredible scenery and nice people. The pousadas are amazing government run hotels in beautiful palaces. Well worth two or three weeks of time. Very good roads.

Of course, you can only get Croatian Kuna from our ATM machines. It is the legal currency of the country.

Thank you. Can you tell me how much I'd need for the wall access and a decent lunch for 2? Roughly of course.

The entrance fee for the wall is 150 Kuna, per person. You can pay with credit or debit card, no problem and NO foreign currency. As for lunch, depends on the restaurant, most of them will accept credit cards. we do have some small sandwich shops, they of course do not take credit cards. A pizza will run from 60 to 120 Kuna, depending on size and ingredients. A sandwich can run from 40 to 100 Kuna, again depends on what you choose to add. Most restaurants will have a menu with prices available for viewing. Stay off the main promenade when picking a place to eat, you will find better meals and deals on the side streets.

The entrance fee for the wall is 150 Kuna, per person. You can pay with credit or debit card, no problem and NO foreign currency. As for lunch, depends on the restaurant, most of them will accept credit cards. we do have some small sandwich shops, they of course do not take credit cards. A pizza will run from 60 to 120 Kuna, depending on size and ingredients. A sandwich can run from 40 to 100 Kuna, again depends on what you choose to add. Most restaurants will have a menu with prices available for viewing. Stay off the main promenade when picking a place to eat, you will find better meals and deals on the side streets.

Can you recommend a few that you think are really good and possibly what street they are on?

Can you recommend a few that you think are really good and possibly what street they are on?

Sorry but since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. That being said I will state that you will find many of the menus very similar, prices almost the same and the nicer the view, the more food costs.

Sorry but since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. That being said I will state that you will find many of the menus very similar, prices almost the same and the nicer the view, the more food costs.

Strange....I see recommendations on cruise critic all the time.

Yes, you do but they are from cruisers and not local residents. Check the guidelines for residents of any of the ports of call, no personal recommendations.

Oh goodness...love cruise critic but some people of the rules make me think :confused:.. mrs gumbah at aol dot com. I would love more info.

Would you return to Croatia as a vacation destination in itself? Is it clean? Is it safe (we are seasoned travellers, so I mean beyond the obvious cautions...)? Thank you.

Croatia is a wonderfull safe country with lovely people . Mostly unspoilt you will really enjoy. Dont miss out on their wines .

Yes, you do but they are from cruisers and not local residents. Check the guidelines for residents of any of the ports of call, no personal recommendations.

Residents in the U.K. Recommend restaurants all the time on the UK board, particularly in Southampton.

Yes, that's a rule.

It's to avoid folk recommending their own business. A classic was a Vietnamese whose only posts were those recommending a particular tour operator - a safe bet that it's his own business ;)

But the rule is applied with common sense.

Members like you and I post on a variety of subjects, and when I suggest local restaurants and transfer operators and such I usually offer a number of alternatives, together with the negatives as well as the positives. I've never had a post removed because I'm a local.

On some subjects, like tour operators, a cruise visitor's recommendation is probably more worthwhile than a local's.

But locals are far more likely to have a rounded view of local restaurants.

No worries :)

Mgugs - some ships moor off the walled city and passengers are tendered to the pier in the shadow of the wall - you couldn't get much closer.

But most berth in the port about (2?) miles north of the walled city. A bit too far for most folk to walk, and the walk is pretty boring. There are local buses, a shared taxi is pretty economical, or most (all?) ships offer a shuttle-bus - usually payable. The drop-point for shuttle-buses, and probably local buses and taxis, is a few yards outside the Pile/Pila Gate.

From here the walled city is very easy to explore independently.

The bottom station for the cablecar to the top of the hill overlooking the city isn't far from the Pile/Pila Gate, but it's up quite a steep road. A super view from behind a cold beer at the top station. :)

JB :)

We do not tender at this port, so there will be taxis available to take us to the wall? I don't mind cost, I usually prefer to travel with just my wife and myself, so I don't mind spending extra for private transfers.

I assume also taxis are available to get back to the port?

We do not tender at this port, so there will be taxis available to take us to the wall? I don't mind cost, I usually prefer to travel with just my wife and myself, so I don't mind spending extra for private transfers.

I assume also taxis are available to get back to the port?

Yes and yes. :)

Whether there'll be more punters than taxis is a risk, which might cost you some time.

And if taxis are in short supply, you might be unpopular if you decline to share.

It's only a short distance, so it won't be expensive.

But I don't know whether taxi drivers will accept euros or plastic, or will only accept kuna. Perhaps others can say.

JB :)

• 4 months later...