Rotterdam - Canada and New England cruise

Vict0riann

We are just back from a short one-week cruise on Rotterdam, and I have to agree with Hlitner's September comments on the state of the Rotterdam - or at least some of them. It's a good thing she is going in to dry dock next month!

We actually found all of the "public" spaces to be in good condition. No buckets in the Lido Market! But in the hallways to the staterooms, we saw many fans going full tilt and suspicious wires leading into rooms, even on the verandah deck. We were on the main deck, and one room near us had work going on the whole week. I'm not sure if anyone was staying in the room, but the workmen always knocked on the door before entering, so maybe..... Hope they got lots of OBC in recompense.;)

The carpets in the hallways were stained in places, but perhaps they will be changed during the dry dock. I really made an effort to pick out all the bad stuff, but it's hard when you're having fun.:)

We had a very good cruise. Captain Whitaker said there were 800 mariners on board, so there were two Mariner lunches - at least ours was a brunch, and we received our silver medallions in the dining room, as there was just one other couple getting their (bronze/copper?) medallions.

One new thing was that on the first gala night we had the "Chocolate Parade". A bunch of waiters and chefs came marching through the ship after late dinner (we were in the Explorers' Lounge listening to Adagio) passing around trays of small chocolate goodies. We got lots as we were right near the dining room of course.:D Chocolate is my weakness. That night, too, we had some rough weather, I guess, as the seasick bags were out, and we heard after that a lot of people didn't make it to dinner. Maybe that's why we got lots of chocolate! The show was canceled, for the safety of the singers and dancers. I didn't think that much of their second show, so I was sorry to have missed the first.

The piano bar was Jamm-packed every night, if you will pardon the pun. We never made it there, but walked past a few times. Mainly we went to the Explorers' Lounge, where we enjoyed the Adagio duo - and we made an amazing discovery - we were able to get our half-price decaffeinated Irish coffees from the Explorations Cafe while we sat and listened. :D The bar steward in Explorers' would go and get them for us. Oh, the joys of 5 stars!

I don't know what they will be doing during dry dock. I would hope, a thorough overhaul of the plumbing!

On the last morning, when I turned off the shower, I heard water still running. The bathroom floor was full of water. I yelled out to DH to call the Front Desk, and someone came right down, along with our steward, who quickly flushed the toilet again, and the water stopped flowing from somewhere behind the toilet. About three minutes later the water started again, and very quickly a plumber arrived and removed the toilet and did something in the wall. I think he said it was an air lock or block... Anyway, by that time there was water in the room's hallway as well, so we had workers in the room from then on. DH had to disembark dirty! I guess we were fortunate it hadn't happened earlier, but I had to wonder how the passengers coming in to our room would fare.

I can't see how they can repair the system without opening up the whole ship! I know the crew were not looking forward to two weeks without water or air conditioning.:eek:

I would like to see some updating of the fittings in the staterooms, too. New carpeting at any rate. Perhaps you can let us know the result of the dry dock, DaveOKC?

c00b5bdf40f806a306186ceaaf2ce51c.jpg

I don't recognize this floor at all. Where is it?

I haven't been on the Rotterdam since the last cruise in 2009 before her aft pool was removed, her Lido Deck aft added, and the rest of the extensive rebuilding was done. I presume that floor was added then.

I don't recognize this floor at all. Where is it?

I haven't been on the Rotterdam since the last cruise in 2009 before her aft pool was removed, her Lido Deck aft added, and the rest of the extensive rebuilding was done. I presume that floor was added then.

You had to catch me when my memory is not working. :eek: I think it is the dance floor in the corner of the Crow's Nest where they have the B.B. King's Blues Club in the evening. We always sat on the other side of the Crow's Nest, so I probably never went over there after the one visit to take the picture.

Now you have me doubting myself - maybe it was in the Ocean Bar. :eek::eek:

You had to catch me when my memory is not working. :eek: I think it is the dance floor in the corner of the Crow's Nest where they have the B.B. King's Blues Club in the evening. We always sat on the other side of the Crow's Nest, so I probably never went over there after the one visit to take the picture.

Oh, I know those 'senior moments' all too well.

I can see the bandstand, so think your idea of the Crow's Nest may be right. It makes more sense than the Ocean Bar, at least the way the Ocean Bar used to be.

Thanks for answering.

Talking about senior moments, I forgot to say we had De Librije on the Rotterdam, not le Cirque or Sel de Mer. I have to say I did not enjoy it as much as Le Cirque, but was certainly an interesting meal. The amuse bouche was just gorgeous, and a meal in itself. We had the wine pairing, and found on our account that we were charged half price for the food, and full price for the wines.

(The egg shell was painted gold - doesn't show up too well in the photo.)

.fc04e6181ab8e7af5f6be8b2f10a9a56.jpg

Glad that you and Pat had a good cruise, Ann. We are sailing on the Rotterdam in December -- post-drydock!! (which is sometime around Nov. 4, according to online deck plan info). Hopefully the ship gets a thorough refurbishment!

We had the same issue with a toilet air-lock and flooding on the Zuiderdam in Europe a couple of years back -- fortunately the toilet was clean! The maintenance worker had to go into the wall from an access panel out in the hallway. It happened while we were preparing for a gala night dinner, so we received a bottle of wine for our troubles!

Glad that you and Pat had a good cruise, Ann. We are sailing on the Rotterdam in December -- post-drydock!! (which is sometime around Nov. 4, according to online deck plan info). Hopefully the ship gets a thorough refurbishment!

I'm with you!! We too are sailing in December, the Holiday cruise. Did it last year on the Oosterdam loved it. But getting concerned regarding the Rotterdam reading various reviews. Twenty years is really not that old for a ship but plumbing seems to be the first and worst thing to go on a ship poorly maintained. Fingers crossed that the dry dock is for maintenance and not just for monetizing areas for more charges onboard.

George in NY

Looking forward to learning more about your experience. I experienced De Librije on the Eurodam. It was " an interesting" dining experience that I won't be repeating.

While all ships experience plumbing issues, I have stated on this Forum my concern as to whether HAL's vessels are dry-docked as often and for as long as they ought to be to fully correct all of the vessel's current issues.

Here is the news from the drydock log here on CC:

As part of a $300 million investment, Holland America is updating entertainment, dining and suites across its fleet between 2016 and 2018. Rotterdam will see updates this fall during a dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas. While enhancements will vary by ship, all Vista- Signature- and Rotterdam-class ships will receive new furniture, carpeting and wall covers, as well as a new quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. Suite passengers will also have access to a new interactive TV system with free movies on demand, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine, binoculars for use during the sailing, free mimosas with ensuite breakfast and more.

We sail on her in March so will be looking to hear about the results. it will be our first time on this class ship. from the photos we've seen, it really looks like a beautiful ship.

Bruce

Quite sure it is the Crow's Nest. I think your memory is just fine :)

congrats on the silver medallion Anne.

It sounds like you had fun :)

Thanks, all. I enjoyed the ship very much - perhaps she is not my absolute favourite, but as I had boarded thinking I was there on behalf of CC to look for the bad things, I really didn't find much to complain about.

The cruise itself was not one I would bother with again. A week is too short, and we had done most of it before, by car. We saw some beautiful colours and we had the obligatory lobster roll, so I can now say "Been there, done that" and concentrate on some new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the news from the drydock log here on CC:

As part of a $300 million investment, Holland America is updating entertainment, dining and suites across its fleet between 2016 and 2018. Rotterdam will see updates this fall during a dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas. While enhancements will vary by ship, all Vista- Signature- and Rotterdam-class ships will receive new furniture, carpeting and wall covers, as well as a new quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. Suite passengers will also have access to a new interactive TV system with free movies on demand, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine, binoculars for use during the sailing, free mimosas with ensuite breakfast and more.

We sail on her in March so will be looking to hear about the results. it will be our first time on this class ship. from the photos we've seen, it really looks like a beautiful ship.

Bruce

Bruce, it is a beautiful ship.

Take time to see some of the art on board, Stephen Card's paintings are on one stairwell primarily. enjoy the Terracotta warriors and the glassed in protected original pieces of art. there is art throughout and take note by the PG too.

It's lovely.