Twenty-one Days Aboard the Rotterdam: Inconsequential Observations

Ruth, glad you enjoyed your cruise. We will be back on the Rotterdam in June for our Baltic cruise. We enjoyed meeting you & Bob. Happy cruising.

Lynne & Ken

That's an absolutely wonderful cruise. Enjoy every minute.

We're switching to Princess for our winter cruise.

Ruth

Entertainment, interesting difference.Recently on the Oosterdam, venue now called Lincoln Center, with four strings and one piano.Seven PM show was always full. The :"O" is a larger ship and there were many changes made in last drydock.

• For the first time ever, our experience in a surcharge restaurant, on any line, was a negative one. I’m probably overly sensitive,but found service focussed on passengers known by staff. We’d prepaid for another dinner but cancelled rather than being snubbed a second time. Of course the food, as expected, was excellent.
HAL has a large number of repeat cruisers, and a lot of long-serving staff as well. We find ourselves having "reunions" with staff throughout the ship on every trip. That being said, you should have received the service you rightly expected. On my way out, I would have expressed my enjoyment of the food to the Maitre d, and then my service concerns. I question the cancelling of your second visit as you would have been "passengers known by staff", and after your conversation with the Maitre d, I would be surprised if you didn't get super service on your next visit.

I question the cancelling of your second visit as you would have been "passengers known by staff", and after your conversation with the Maitre d, I would be surprised if you didn't get super service on your next visit.

The poor service was on our 21 day Caribbean cruise but the update from the Canada New England cruise noted it was fine.

But you're correct, regular HAL cruisers do get known by staff.

We're fickle cruisers and rotate among HAL, Princess and Celebrity.

Ruth

We were also surprised at the numbers enjoying far more formal wear on our last Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in the Caribbean, after being noticed here it would be more casual on "gala night". I guess more people still enjoy the opportunity to "dress up" on cruise vacations than expected after the new dress guidelines were relaxed.

So not sure this is a factor of a ship being a "co-flag ship". Mainly if one still wants to enjoy dressing up, go for it. You will not be alone.

The co- flag ships of HAL are Rotterdam and Amsterdam, , not, Nieuw Amsterdam. :) Sorry but I felt the correction okay to point out,