Dollars vs. Pesos

Wisconsin Travelers

Taking our first Mexico cruise in December, although we've been in Cozumel and Costa Maya several times on Caribbean itineraries. In those ports it was easy to use dollars - no need to change money. What has been your experience in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta? In particular, I want to buy vanilla at the WalMart which is across from the dock in Puerto Vallarta. Do you think WalMart takes U.S. dollars, and should I plan to exchange for pesos? Thanks.

I can't remember what Walmart takes but we just use our credit card there that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. If you don't have such a credit card Capital One offered one without an annual fee. We have purchased items from this Walmart at all of our stops at Puerto Vallarta.

We don't exchange money and have not had problems. We found that USA currency was readily accepted.

Keith

Walmart takes US dollars. They may give you pesos for change unless you ask for,US money.

There is a Soriano market a couple of blocks from Walmart on the main road toward PV if you don't find what you want at Walmart or Sams Club.

US COINS are not readily accepted in Mexico, but dollars are accepted at all three ports by merchants and tour guides who deal with tourists.

Only places we’ve truly felt like we’ve needed to pay in pesos have been in the mercado and the food stalls along the streets and Malecon. Everywhere else takes USD. The exchange rate will be displayed though a few times we’ve simply asked for the bill to be in both USD and Pesos.

If you end up just using USD, you’re not going to be losing that much. One meal the difference was about a dollar. One cruise we figured we lost about $3. We eat at the cheaper places, less than $60 for three of us at 5 ports.

Many times our first stop in PV has been Walmart to pick up some things and to get change in Pesos. They’ve cracked down on large bills for small purchases but we’ve never had an issue using US$20.

Please tip the bag boy/girl at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SadieN

Not only does Walmart take dollars (or credit cards), but they generally post their daily exchange rate on a visible sign (inside the store) and give an excellent rate. But that is not the case everywhere, so it often pays to have some Pesos...which you can easily obtain from ATMs.

Hank

Only places we’ve truly felt like we’ve needed to pay in pesos have been in the mercado and the food stalls along the streets and Malecon. Everywhere else takes USD...

Please tip the bag boy/girl at Walmart.

I have personally never seen anyone in Mexico in any location unwilling to take "dolares." The question is just a mater of how bad an exchange rate you are likely to get and your change may come back in pesos.

You are absolutely right to suggest that people tip the bag help at any store in Mexico. These people, like many service staff in Mexico, work for tips only.

Taking our first Mexico cruise in December, although we've been in Cozumel and Costa Maya several times on Caribbean itineraries. In those ports it was easy to use dollars - no need to change money. What has been your experience in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta? In particular, I want to buy vanilla at the WalMart which is across from the dock in Puerto Vallarta. Do you think WalMart takes U.S. dollars, and should I plan to exchange for pesos? Thanks.

Before you purchase Mexican vanilla, you should Google "Mexican Vanilla", "coumarin", and "castor beans".

A tiny percentage of Mexican Vanilla is actually vanilla. The real thing is very good, and more expensive than what you would pay in the USA.

Most cheap Mexican Vanilla is something else entirely - and quite dangerous.

Last time I checked, Mexico was a sovereign nation with its own currency. If for no other reason that would be the reason that I'd use the Peso for cash transactions.

In theory, you are correct, however in reality, the merchants who deal with tourists regularly will happily accept whatever currency you use to make the transaction.

If you recall, our government gives billions of US dollars to sovereign nations all over the world.

Last time I checked, Mexico was a sovereign nation with its own currency. If for no other reason that would be the reason that I'd use the Peso for cash transactions.

You are correct. It is a courtesy of vendors and shops to accept US$. In general donot expect a good exchange rate for your US$. Only shops like Walmart, Soriano, Sam's etc. in general give a decent exchange rate. However apart from Sam's expect change in Pesos.

Everyone will be willing to take the US dollar, but when in Mexico, I only deal in the peso. It's over 19 to 1 right now and if I have pesos in my pocket, I will always get a better deal than someone only carrying US. I also like to use the currency of the country I am visiting.

As far as vanilla goes, Costco in the US has it and it will be better than whatever you buy in Walmart. That Walmart does have good donuts though and I'm not a donut eater.

• 2 months later...

I travel this itinerary often, and most tourist places will accept U.S. dollars with no issue. You'll most likely be paying more for things than if you used pesos, and you'll most likely get your change in pesos too. If you're planning on hitting some local spots (taco stands, food markets, truly local shops), you'll want pesos. It's easy to get them at any ATM in town (unless it's a Saturday and the banks are closed). Use your ATM card just like you would at home (inform your bank before your trip, and take out as much money as you think you'll need in one transaction to save on ATM fees). Easy, and it's far better to use the foreign currency when in a foreign country -- you'll get better deals and are less likely to get ripped off.