First time cruiser, booking private excursions?

caramel37

This will be my first time cruising and I'll have 13 and 18 yr. old boys with me. THe excursions through the cruise line are expensive. This being said, I would like to save some money, but is booking private excursions a smart idea for the first timer. I wouldn't want to screw up and miss my boat or something like that.

Thanks,

Tanesha

We recently book through Peat Taylor tours. He was great and very accomodating. You can look at his website for tour ideas and prices. I found it very reasonable for the day and much more private. You got to do what you wanted to do.

if you book through a reputable company (there are a ton listed on this board), you won't miss your ship. the tour companies know their chance of future business (and their reputation in general) depends on not just the quality of the tour, but whether you get back to your ship on time. the cruise line folks will use that to try to scare you into booking through them ebcause excursions are a big moneymaker for them, but honestly, a personal tour with a private company is better than going somewhere with 200 people from your ship.

have fun!

I have booked nearly all of the excursions for my family privately and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, our very first excursion was with Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios. We are planning to be in Jamaica again this April and are hoping to do another tour with him.

Like a previous poster said, do your homework on these boards and you will be fine. :cool:

I have always booked private excursions. Just know what time you have to be back, and have a wrist-watch on you. Keep it on ship time.

Just read thru lots of posts on the different operators. Don't let one or two bad reviews skew you, but if it is more than a few, pay attention, and maybe focus on a different operator.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived