Carnival shares

I dont have any , but from what I have read on the Princess board you need 100 shares, and you submit your shareholder number to Princess well in advance of your cruise, they check you are still the listed owner of said shares and give an On Board Credit.

Its a good investment if you are cruising with Princess a lot as the OBC can be considered a dividend on your investment.

One word of caution though. If buying them through a "local" broker, you would need to check whose name the shares will be held in. Many times local sharebrokers will buy US stocks/shares for you , but because of the relatively small amount of the investment they will be bought through a holding company and you could be up for double brokerage. The shares would also be held in that companies name, so Carnival would not know who you are.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

I have read quite a few threads about the americans and the shares but I don't know how an aussie would go about claiming them. I was wondering if there was anyone from australia that has actually got shares and has claimed them.

Eileen i think the person that told me about the shares is Aussie Quilter, they are from Melbourne and they know everything about them

Has anyone from Australia purchased Carnival shares? If so - how did you do it and do you get the onboard credit when you cruise and if so how do you go about requesting it?

Minimum of 100 shares required and OBC for shareholder is between $50 and $250 depending on length of cruise. i.e. $50 for cruises of less than 7 days and $250 for cruises over 14 days. But I am not sure if this 'perk' is reserved only for those from USA, not us Aussies.

Edited by NSWP

we spoke to someone on one of our princess cruises and i think they had to outlay something around the $3000 mark....we never took up the option

Current cost would be about $3300, plus brokerage/costs. And then like all shares they can go up and down. Think they were close to $5000 a year ago, so you'd have lost a fair bit if you bought then. Though that could make now a bargain... or maybe not!

But I am not sure if this 'perk' is reserved only for those from USA, not us Aussies.

It should ....It applies to Shareholders....

I would imagine that all you would need is your Captain Circle Number/Booking Reference Number.

The bigger problem would be ..

How would Julia regard it?

Is it income or a gift?

Hi Eileen

Kevin bought our 100 Carnival shares through Etrade., last year Cost us $3000 & approx $40 brokerage (I think). We have got our OBC for every cruise, including the 2 dayers we did on Princess & P & O ($50 for these 2 dayers) to get to Elite.

I just had to email a copy of our brokerage statement, along with cruise details to Carnival(after final payment)I had bookings through US & OZ & all of our a/cs had been credited with the OBC,( though it is only 1 per stateroom, so no point buying 2 lots.)

Besides the OBC, we have also got dividends & we figure its like any shares- a long term investment & since we love Princess, its a WIN WIN situation.

Cheers

Tanya

Edited by stki

Hi Eileen

Kevin bought our 100 Carnival shares through Etrade., last year Cost us $3000 & approx $40 brokerage (I think). We have got our OBC for every cruise, including the 2 dayers we did on Princess & P & O ($50 for these 2 dayers) to get to Elite.

I just had to email a copy of our brokerage statement, along with cruise details to Carnival(after final payment)I had bookings through US & OZ & all of our a/cs had been credited with the OBC,( though it is only 1 per stateroom, so no point buying 2 lots.)

Besides the OBC, we have also got dividends & we figure its like any shares- a long term investment & since we love Princess, its a WIN WIN situation.

Cheers

Tanya

Thanks Tanya.... this is what I am looking for. Have wanted to buy the shares for a while now and we are in the process of selling one of our houses and thought it was a good time to do this. Will now do more research and find out the current purchase price. The OBC is great as we intend to do much more travelling in the future seeing as we are getting nearer retirement. We are willing to risk the $3000+ as I think Carnival is just going to get bigger and bigger. I hope! :D

We are in NZ, purchased the Carnival shares through a nation wide stock broker.

We receive a dividend as well as the OBC.

Have received OBC of US$ 250.00 a few times, for cruises of 14 days or longer, plus a US$100.00 when we did a 7 day cruise.

So far, we have only cruised with Holland America, after we have paid in full for the cruise, we then apply for the OBC to be applied to our booking

number...... Send a copy of our brokerage account, with the account number crossed out, as proof of ownership.

The OBC applies to any cruise on a ship of the Carnival Corporation, e.g. Princess, Cunard, Seabourn, Costa, Holland America, Aida, Carnival etc.

I have read quite a few threads about the americans and the shares but I don't know how an aussie would go about claiming them. I was wondering if there was anyone from australia that has actually got shares and has claimed them.

I got mine this year , through Etrade (ANZ) commonwealth bank also lets you buy overseas shares havent sent my form in yet for our next cruise in Jan. apparently it is better to send it in after final payment

Hi Eileen

Cheers

Tanya

Welcome to the Black card family. Give that complimentary laundry a run!

Back to topic, thanks to you and all for information re Carnival Shares, might look at that myself, the more OBC the better.

Edited by NSWP

Welcome to the Black card family. Give that complimentary laundry a run!

Back to topic, thanks to you and all for information re Carnival Shares, might look at that myself, the more OBC the better.

Ooooh yes, that free laundry is the best! We were lucky enough to go black on our TA and Med cruise and the free laundry was just soooo wonderful, especially on such a port intensive cruise like the Med one!

We will definitely be buying the shares as we also want as much OBC as we can get. For our next cruise we already have $500 lined up, another $500 (because it is a split B2B) would be wonderful! :D

Eileen Jaws100 Jenny bought some the other day I explained to her that it would be better to go through her own bank as they all have a trading office and they do not have a minimum buy. You need to get them to purchase the USA Carnival shares and it will all be good. Good luck If you need more info e-mail me and I will give you Jenny's e-mail address Yvonne

Eileen Jaws100 Jenny bought some the other day I explained to her that it would be better to go through her own bank as they all have a trading office and they do not have a minimum buy. You need to get them to purchase the USA Carnival shares and it will all be good. Good luck If you need more info e-mail me and I will give you Jenny's e-mail address Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne.... I will get in touch with the bank. :D

Thanks for sharing this info with us....We too have thought about it but will decide after the next cruise..

Two Quick Questions

Does it complicate your tax much having shares from overseas?

And Does the Divendins (spelling) pay much for 100 shares...thanks

Thanks for sharing this info with us....We too have thought about it but will decide after the next cruise..

Two Quick Questions

Does it complicate your tax much having shares from overseas?

And Does the Divendins (spelling) pay much for 100 shares...thanks

Carnival share dividends would still have to be declared on your tax return, like any other income.