Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

I have been told that the tipping policies (gratuities) in Australia and New Zealand are different than the US. I am not talking about on the cruise where of course we will tip as on any other cruise. But we are spending 10 days in Australia before the cruise and 2 days in Auckland after, so I would like to know what is common regarding tipping in those countries.

I have been told that the tipping policies (gratuities) in Australia and New Zealand are different than the US. I am not talking about on the cruise where of course we will tip as on any other cruise. But we are spending 10 days in Australia before the cruise and 2 days in Auckland after, so I would like to know what is common regarding tipping in those countries.

The basic principal is that we don't tip. Instead the tip is included in the cost of meals and services. However if you find a situation where you believe that the person went above and beyond, you can give them a bonus tip if you like.

Shhhhushhhh. Speak quietly about tipping in Oz. least favourite topic.

Generally speaking, answer is no tipping. You can drop your small change in storefront jars etc which seems to be coming common practice or round up the taxi fare to the nearest dollar or five etc.

in other words tipping is not part of the wage structure - totally up to you but please don,t add 10-20% on everything.

We are spending 4 days in Honolulu prior to our cruise in September.

I've got a handle on tipping on the ship but not sure on how to approach it for those 4 days prior.

Where and when do we tip? Taxi, restaurant, McDonalds, Supermarket?

And how much? 10% 20% ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

From a local perspective it is not done. I don't tip here, never have and never will. In fact I did not even know there was such a practice in foreign countries until I was 20 years old!!!

What you need to understand is that in Australia we are all paid well. I am just an average worker on a workers wage and it is enough for me to take cruise holidays and save for assets etc. We are born into this way of life where we have no comprehension of what tipping is.

Just as it makes foreigners uncomfortable not to tip, it makes us uncomfortable to tip and there are many Australians who would feel very uncomfortable about taking a tip, it makes them feel dishonest and unwholesome. Where as to a foreigner its their way of life.

Tipping is not expected in Australia our workers are paid a decent wage however if you request something out of the ordinary or received absolutely outstanding service a tip is a pleasant surprise to your server. We absolutely do not want it to become part of our culture.

Sue

In Australia, a 'tip' is when someone recommends a horse to you at the races.

In general no tipping in Aust. especially at Cessnock truck stops :D That said, I have never seen anyone who was tipped made to feel dishonest and unwholesome :eek:

In pubs and bars there are sometimes tip jars in which you may leave a few coins that were your change from your purchases.

Some Auusies may tip maybe 10% in some 'fancy' restaurants, but only if it was really good service. Some may also tip the pizza or Chinese food delivery guy a couple of bucks. Some people may tip the luggage guy at high end hotels.

I guess akin to tipping is slinging people a 6 pack or carton of beer for doing a good job for you, or doing a bit extra - like a tradie or truck driver (not in Newcastle thought it seems).

Trust this assists.

I've got a handle on tipping on the ship but not sure on how to approach it for those 4 days prior.

And how much? 10% 20% ?

Having just been there, what we found was that most eating/drinking places now put the recommended tips at the bottom of the bill in terms of 5 to 15% of the total. It's already printed out on the account.

We tipped nothing at the ABC stores, McDs etc. Added 10 to 15% to the taxi. Carry heaps of $1 and 5$ bills.

Just as it makes foreigners uncomfortable not to tip, it makes us uncomfortable to tip.

This was true for me. A friend and I spent a month in Australia a number of years ago. Every time we left a restaurant I would hunch my shoulders and put my head down and slink out the door. I knew I was not expected to tip but I still felt bad.

For my next visit to Oz on the cruise I'm thinking I will be in need of a haircut and pedicure by the time I get to Sydney. The prices onboard the ship are about three times what I pay so Sydney would be a great place to have these done. No tip for the person cutting my hair or giving me a pedicure???

As others have said, no tipping required. We also don't have common place services like doormen and bellboys in most hotels unless they are top level 5 star, most people here are just used to doing these things themselves. Also room service and pizza delivery have a service charge added to the price, so you don't need to tip the person for delivering it.

Usually what I do in a restaurant, if it is just me and DH we put the meal on a credit card and pay what the bill says. There is almost never a space to write what the tip amount is (you will get this in American style restaurants though). If we pay cash I usually just round it up to the next bill and don't collect the change. Same if we are in a group, everyone throws in a bill and the change is left for the waiter.

Same with a taxi, just round up the bill. Even if he helps you with bags he won't stand there clearing his throat at you if you don't give him money.

Because we aren't a tipping culture though, be prepared for some differences in service that you may be used to at home. In a restaurant, you may not have a dedicated server, one person may take your order, another the drinks, then someone else will bring your food and clear the table. If you need something extra just grab whatever waiter is walking past, it doesn't need to be "your" one. Also some casual restaurants and faces will often not have table service, you will need to go to the counter to order. These places usually have a sign over the counter or it will be on the menu. Almost all bars will not have drinks waiters, you must order at the bar.

And as I said earlier, majority of hotels don't have doormen and bellboys, be prepared to move your luggage and open doors yourself.

As others have said, no tipping required. We also don't have common place services like doormen and bellboys in most hotels unless they are top level 5 star, most people here are just used to doing these things themselves. Also room service and pizza delivery have a service charge added to the price, so you don't need to tip the person for delivering it.

Usually what I do in a restaurant, if it is just me and DH we put the meal on a credit card and pay what the bill says. There is almost never a space to write what the tip amount is (you will get this in American style restaurants though). If we pay cash I usually just round it up to the next bill and don't collect the change. Same if we are in a group, everyone throws in a bill and the change is left for the waiter.

Same with a taxi, just round up the bill. Even if he helps you with bags he won't stand there clearing his throat at you if you don't give him money.

Because we aren't a tipping culture though, be prepared for some differences in service that you may be used to at home. In a restaurant, you may not have a dedicated server, one person may take your order, another the drinks, then someone else will bring your food and clear the table. If you need something extra just grab whatever waiter is walking past, it doesn't need to be "your" one. Also some casual restaurants and faces will often not have table service, you will need to go to the counter to order. These places usually have a sign over the counter or it will be on the menu. Almost all bars will not have drinks waiters, you must order at the bar.

And as I said earlier, majority of hotels don't have doormen and bellboys, be prepared to move your luggage and open doors yourself.

And the same applies to New Zealand. Same culture just a different country! Often referred to East Island by the Aussies, as we refer to Australia as West Island:D

And how much? 10% 20% ?

Just add 20% to everything that you do in the US - you won't go wrong that way. Their lower paid workers do not get the kind of wages there that they would get here - in fact nothing like it.

Barry

No tip for the person cutting my hair or giving me a pedicure???

Why would there be? They display their prices (which aren't negotiable) at the front door - so that is how much they want to cut your hair. They make you that offer - you accept that offer - it's a contract :)

Barry

For my next visit to Oz on the cruise I'm thinking I will be in need of a haircut and pedicure by the time I get to Sydney. The prices onboard the ship are about three times what I pay so Sydney would be a great place to have these done. No tip for the person cutting my hair or giving me a pedicure???

What a good plan to get your hair cut in port in Australia. Definitely NO tip required whatsoever. If the bill comes to, for example, $29, if it makes your life easier you can say "keep the change", but it's more for the convenience of the customer who can't be bothered carrying to much change. Our $1s and $2s are coins, not notes, and our purses can get pretty full sometimes. :D

That's the most common way for an Australian to "tip". Just round up to the greatest dollar or five dollar amount and not be bothered with change.

And rest easy. Our waiters, hairdressers, etc. get a mostly decent wage. The hourly income is around the $12 mark for low income earners. Compared to only a few dollars I've heard for the base rate in America, they're not doing badly. You're not depriving anyone by not tipping.

Oh, and if you do choose to tip, the money is usually pooled by all the staff and put on a bar tab for their Christmas party, or for Friday night drinks, not for rent or grocery shopping! Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

And the same applies to New Zealand. Same culture just a different country! Often referred to East Island by the Aussies, as we refer to Australia as West Island:D

So does that make it East-North Island and East-South island or the other way around? :D

Tipping is becoming more common despite the view of many that Australia is not a tipping country and many who cry foul of tipping. The main difference though is that it is generally confined to restaurants and taxis, sometimes hotels. Hairdressers, masseuses, nail technicians, car mechanics etc are not tipped. As well if it is a fast food restaurant there is no tip expected; likewise if you order and pay at the counter you mostly do not tip.

You will not be pursued if you do not tip in a restaurant or taxi but many people now either add about 10% to the bill or add some change to a tip jar on the counter. If service has been not so great we will write - No tip - on the bill to show we are less than pleased.

Taxis - we often give the driver a couple of dollars on top of the fare, which may not be what shows on the meter until the driver stops and adds things like tolls or airport pick up fee.

The only times we tip hotel staff are to leave a bit of change in the bathroom for the housemaid (as I have a friend who worked in the industry and it was hard work for low pay) and if our bags are brought up to the room in a swish hotel. In many hotels you take your own luggage.

The comment by Jacs on different levels of service is very pertinent.

At a Restaurant it is not uncommon to round up a bill and that is the Tip.

You get a bill for $93 and give them $100 but that only works with cash, the way its heading hardly anyone pays in Cash nowadays and its less likely a customer will add something to the payment when using credit or eftpos.

. No tip for the person cutting my hair or giving me a pedicure???

Gawd no my Dear. You do that you will have acrowd outside the parlour laughing at you. :eek:

Only joking.

But that is how different it is here. No one, would dream of tipping a hairdresser anymore than you would tip a shop assistant for serving you.

Nor do we tip any barmen/attendants - well not that I have seen anyway.

Why would there be? They display their prices (which aren't negotiable) at the front door - so that is how much they want to cut your hair. They make you that offer - you accept that offer - it's a contract :)

Barry

Which brings me to the point that in Australia & NZ you pay the ticket price - tax is included. So if a coffee price is displayed on the board as $3.50 then that is the final price - not plus tax, plus tips.

One of the frequent discussions here is Australian prices with comments that it is soooo expensive here. Well yes, if you buy in swish hotels and shops. I mentioned the price of a coffee. A medium size coffee (US tall - I think 12oz) is $3.50 to $4 in most places - even on the ship. When we were in Honolulu this year, the price was exactly the same -$3.75 plus tax at the Hyatt Regency and the tip jar was placed right where you grab your coffee:rolleyes:

Another thing to note here in Australia is that the price on something in a store is the actual price, they don't add tax on at the checkout.

We like it simple & up front, no surprises.:)

You beat me to it by seconds:D

How's the Alaska planning going? Take a wad of small notes:p

Hugh

It does seem simpler. For the person going to Hawaii, it is not simple! More folks to tip than work in the city:p I also need to warn you about a new and more increasingly used practice of "resort fees" for newspaper and bottle of water (watch they are $5 or so) parking on property and breathing while on property! The room fare is stated but then upped by $30US at the final bill. No way to decline or get rid of the fee. Airport car rentals have so many fees and add ons that the per day bill can almost double the car rental. Seems this is acceptable because the local governments make all car rentals add these fees.

BE VERY AWARE Govts. now make millions off of red light cameras and box zone cameras and speeding cameras. Follow the rules to the very number and try to avoid these $75 to $150 US . You get the fine in the mail 3 weeks later and never have to deal with a person. We Americans proudly have found something worst than tipping to spread around the world.:D

Obviously nobody here has ever driven a taxi, worked in a bar or restaurant, or in a hotel.

Tipping may not be the "norm" but if someone has gone above and beyond the minimum service standard than you should tip.

If you want to get exceptional service in a bar then tip, otherwise expect to wait your turn and have to order your drinks time and time again.

If you are staying or eating in the same place more than once then a tip will help them remember you.

Tipping may not be the norm in the Australian service industry, but neither are rude customers expected to be the norm also.

I could go on to mention the state that some people leave their tables and their rooms but Im sure you can imagine how disgusting some people can be.

If you expect a taxi driver to assist with your bags thens you should expect to tip.

Just my $0.02 or $1.02 with tip.

Archived