Azamara 2018 British Open Shore Excursion

pickypicky

The question of value for price has been raised on our roll calls, so I'm posting here in hopes that Bonnie will see and be able to shed some light on the subject. The price is $399 for the day of July 22. The description only mentions the ticket and transportation (30 min. each way) by bus. This is a group tour, presumably with no "guide". I called Azamara to ask if they could elaborate on what is included, since surely there is more (lunch, perhaps?), but they say the description is accurate.

We don't usually do ship excursions, but (a) have shipboard credit to use and (b) we're talking about the final day, and sail away is at 9PM, so I'd like to choose this excursion for the security aspect. However, I feel like an idiot paying that much for it as written. Bonnie, can you find out if they've just failed to accurately describe the tour? Am I missing something?:confused:

Based on what we heard on our 2017 British Open cruise, the Azamara excursion only includes one departure and return time, so you are there for the entire day. No lunch or snack was included.

we also did the British Open tour a couple of years ago. Worse part was bus left before final pairing on Sunday reached the 17th hole. Also bus was pulling away at scheduled time as a few people were running to reach it. 5 minutes later they would have missed the bus.

Tickets can be purchased in advance or on the day at entry gate; prices for 22nd are showing £80 if purchased before end April ( c 112 dollars) and £90 after that, so the price you are being quoted seems quite expensive if just transport and entry for day. Maybe you could hire a taxi with others to take you there and back? Enjoy!

Thanks for all the replies.

I had checked out the price of tickets online, and agree that Azamara's is a ridiculous amount to pay just for transportation. That's why I had hoped that Bonnie could shed some light on what else, if anything, is included.

My personal justification for the price was partially that the bus wouldn't depart until it was over...very discouraging to hear that they might leave before the winner is declared!!!:mad: I had (stupidly?) assumed that part of the advantage of being on the Azamara transportation would be to see the end and not risk missing the ship's departure.

Also, if we go it on our own, how easy is it going to be to find transportation back to the ship, amid a throng of others doing the same? It seems fraught.

I have just booked the England cruise July 11 - 24

I am interested in playing golf one or 2 times during the trip (not necessarily at St. Andrews which would be almost impossible at this time)

has anyone booked/arranged for day golf, or are interested? If you have already made arrangements do you have room for a single?

If not, can you please advise how and with whom you have made the arrangements

I have just booked the England cruise July 11 - 24

I am interested in playing golf one or 2 times during the trip (not necessarily at St. Andrews which would be almost impossible at this time)

has anyone booked/arranged for day golf, or are interested? If you have already made arrangements do you have room for a single?

If not, can you please advise how and with whom you have made the arrangements

This would be better posted on your cruise’s Roll-Call at https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2540658&page=5

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely post on roll call as there will be a large Perry Golf group on board this cruise (we did this in 2016). While this group has all purchased a package deal which includes 5/6 golf rounds and final day of British Open, depending on what destinations you are looking at you might find some of them interested in playing additional rounds. The Perry Golf website will tell you want days/locations they will be playing.

Pickypicky, -- You might check out Perry Golf. They will have a large group on board this cruise and they have a "non-golfer" add on package for the final day of the British Open that is $295 pp which although not inexpensive, is significantly less than the Azamara excursion. If the bus isn't full, they might let you join the group for the day. My husband was on this package in 2016 and we are going again in 2019. I could be mistaken, but I think their cost includes lunch as well.

Pickypicky, -- You might check out Perry Golf. They will have a large group on board this cruise and they have a "non-golfer" add on package for the final day of the British Open that is $295 pp which although not inexpensive, is significantly less than the Azamara excursion. If the bus isn't full, they might let you join the group for the day. My husband was on this package in 2016 and we are going again in 2019. I could be mistaken, but I think their cost includes lunch as well.

thanks Allison

I have contacted Perry Golf to see if they had daily excursions for golf rather than having to purchase the entire package, but it is all or nothing. The explanation it is much of a bother to organize pick ups and drop offs and tee times for daily golf. I may contact some courses directly to see if they have a pick up and drop off program.

Howard