Pros and Cons....Do we pick RCL Oasis or MSC YC Seaside?

Europeantraveler1

7 night cruise. 2 people. Early November. Not thanksgiving! I have continued to check after booking to see if prices go down or royal suite opens up however the yacht club has remained sold out for my dates . Lots of cabins available in non YC categories though!
I would never sail non-YC on an MSC ship. It looks like a zoo at the pool, dining rooms and buffet. No thank you. That's when I would choose another line.

I'm officially shutting my trap about MSC YC! I dont want the prices to get any higher!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Yes-prices are going up. I got in a while ago, right after Thanksgiving at a great price. Did a mock booking for the same cruise next year and it is already $1,000 more.

I think I spoke about this on another thread, Prices will go up for sure I thought now that they have gotten so many to try MSC and the YC experience. Still cheaper then NCL and the Haven though.

I'd love to see a price war between the two, Good for us consumers!!:)

Still-both lines are far cheaper then Royal and Royal has nothing even close to the YC or Haven. Depending on where your suite is, you could have a long walk to that suite lounge.Nothing beats walking out your stateroom to an entire private area right at your fingertips.

• 5 weeks later...

I know you got lots of info, but here is my take.

1. How are the kids, would they prefer wow factor of Oasis or cool factor of exclusive MSC YC.

2. With wow and so much activities + 5,000 other people trying out so long lines; YC if you don't like out there you can have quiet peaceful time.

3. Cost: as many have said, MSC YC on avg will be pricing of a balcony room for Oasis which do not include deluxe drink package (pretty much all drinks except top shelf drinks and kids would live that free gelato), if you look for YC service, Royal Genie service starts at 2 bed suite, often 4-8 times the price of MSC YC.

4. Discount, even with current RCL 1/2 at 50% off can compare with MSC YC when you add the fact most of the time, kids under 17 are free (12 under are free all the time but depending on the promo under 17 are free on most of cruises, I have one coming up on Apr 2019 and kids 17 are free) Ex. For my time compare to Oasis with assuming you have 6 pax (4 adults and 15 and 17). MSC YC $8,000 ($2k avg pps with 2 kids free); Oasis $7,000 for parkave balcony room, 2 bdrm aqua theatre with Star Class (with Royal Genie Butler service) about $29k. also, if you have cruise with MSC before you will get 5% disc no matter who you book with (agent or MSC).

5. My kids (14, 16, 18, 21) are very active, we hit all the theme parks east of Chicago for the past 12 years, we had rope course membership, rock climbing club membership, seen several Cirque Soleil type show.... when I gave them a choice of exclusivity over wow factor of Oasis class boat, everyone choose MSC YC.

6. If you have cruised before many of the reviews are very subjective and different. On same cruise some will rave while some complain of everything. In my view, MSC is on par with RCL/Carnival/NCL. they struggled with first US ship Divina but things are getting better, but with service issue continue to hamper MSC as whole and the new Seaside. One thing many will agree, food diversity lacks a bit and service some are excellent some are not but most importantly your vacation is what you make of.

7. Destination experience: If you and your party have visited many of these cities, you can have shorter excursion or walk about the town etc and spend more time on the ship but if you plan for full excursion on most of the itinerary the wow factor of Oasis will fade as kids will be too tired to do anything on board.

My dime worth thoughts.

I will come back here and post our experiences in july. We have sailed royal exclusively. On oasis class, we have cruised 5 times in the crown loft suites with another booked this october. But for this july we are in yc balcony for two weeks. I know the room is smaller but for the price we arw cruising two weeks in yacht club vs one week in a crown loft. Will see if MSC wins our business for feb 2019 and beyond. Or will it be back to royal?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments! I am frequently scanning the messages on CC!! AND,.....am awaiting the opening of the full 2020 sailing season so I can judge whether our group of SEVEN will ultimately reserve YC staterooms for a W. Mediterranean cruise (June ) of that year (2020)! WHEN WILL MSC OPEN UP FOR THE FULL 2020 SEASON for those of us in the U.S.?

Thanks for your comments! I am frequently scanning the messages on CC!! AND,.....am awaiting the opening of the full 2020 sailing season so I can judge whether our group of SEVEN will ultimately reserve YC staterooms for a W. Mediterranean cruise (June ) of that year (2020)! WHEN WILL MSC OPEN UP FOR THE FULL 2020 SEASON for those of us in the U.S.?

========

They should be open on monthly basis. So for sailing June 2020, check around late June to July 1 2018 for MSC; June for RCL.

An interesting discussion on the royal forum about trying to drink beer on your balcony: no drink packages include the mini-bar and you only can have one drink from a bar, at one time. MSC's comped mini-bar would make YC the better bet, if you like drinks in your cabin, or balcony.

So true gk. The first time I had a Royal Suite on RCI they came and stocked the bar for me. By the time I had the Royal Suite the third time...you could not get anything to put on the bar. What's the point of having a wet bar in your suite if they won't let you stock it??

I will take Yacht Club over the Royal Suite anytime!!

Prices for YC still the same in my opinion. Just booked YC for a cruise during same period next year and it actually was $100/pp less than I paid for last months cruise before deducting the 5% Voyagers member discount

I so agree with the above poster. You would have to give your opinion to the OP of someone who has stayed in the YC.

Example-

Left Royal for NCL haven. Hands down NCL. Royal has nothing like the Haven either. If I was not staying in the Haven-price would of been the deciding factor. Although the layout on NCL pool deck is not as good as Royals.

My thoughts on teenage cruisers:

Everyone seems to say Oasis with kids.

Oasis has ice skating. Seaside does not

Both Oasis and Seaside have:

sports court

water park

zip line

Arcade

Oasis has a flow rider- Seaside has water slides

Oasis has a rock wall- Seaside has an obstacle course

Oasis has a carousel- Seaside has bowling

For adults

Seaside has the YC :D

Oasis does not! Price check those high end suite on Oasis!! :eek:

Everyone-please feel free to add what I missed.

Oasis also has water show

Seaside had better dancing and music venues, every night

Seaside has shorter, but still high quality shows every night

Seaside has YC, Oasis had the Diamond lounge and they were building new suite lounge I heard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oasis also has water show

Seaside had better dancing and music venues, every night

Seaside has shorter, but still high quality shows every night

Seaside has YC, Oasis had the Diamond lounge and they were building new suite lounge I heard

Oasis has a suite lounge and coastal kitchen dining venue for suite guests. I believe it has been 3 or 4 years ago when these were installed.

Oasis has a suite lounge and coastal kitchen dining venue for suite guests. I believe it has been 3 or 4 years ago when these were installed.

Yes, but comparing that to the yacht club and all the perks that come with booking a yacht club stateroom is night and day IMHO.

Yes, but comparing that to the yacht club and all the perks that come with booking a yacht club stateroom is night and day IMHO.
Please show me where did i compare rcl and msc yacht club? I was pointing out to another poster that the suite lounge was done years ago and not under construction as they thought.

Yes I know difference about rcl suite and msc yacht club. That is the reason why we are trying yacht club for 2 weeks in july instead of our usual crown loft suite on oasis class. But we will be back aboard allure in Oct to see if we stay with royal or sail more with msc. We enjoy the two story floor to ceiling crown loft windows, quiet hallways, private dining, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Please show me where did i compare rcl and msc yacht club? I was pointing out to another poster that the suite lounge was done years ago and not under construction as they thought.

Yes I know difference about rcl suite and msc yacht club. That is the reason why we are trying yacht club for 2 weeks in july instead of our usual crown loft suite on oasis class. But we will be back aboard allure in Oct to see if we stay with royal or sail more with msc. We enjoy the two story floor to ceiling crown loft windows, quiet hallways, private dining, etc.

ooops-sorry. Did not mean you did not know the difference.:(

Just some people may not understand the difference-and prices to Royals suite class. I was just thinking that it is really hard to compare Royals, even highest suite class to the private venue and included offerings in the YC.

again-my apologies.

ooops-sorry. Did not mean you did not know the difference.:(

Just some people may not understand the difference-and prices to Royals suite class. I was just thinking that it is really hard to compare Royals, even highest suite class to the private venue and included offerings in the YC.

again-my apologies.

I completely agree with you. The price difference alone is a joke. Royal has absolutely stunning suites but the benefits to cost ratio of YC blows Royal away in every other category, in my opinion.

What’s the price difference between Oasis and YC Seaside? We are sailing on the MSC Meraviglia in the Mediterranean in an Aurea Duplex Suite. The cost for a family of 4 is roughly $4K. A cruise in a Crown Loft Suite (the equivalent accommodation on an Oasis ship on Royal) would’ve been $17K! [emoji33]

Hi Tapi. I always respect your point of views on every ship you sail, as they are always fair. We also have the Meraviglia booked for next year. Would love to hear your perspective after you return. When are you going this year?

Edited by champagne123

On the Oasis Class Vessels, suite guests (JR Suites Dinner) get to dine in CA Kitchen and have free drinks in the lounge. Higher categories, do have the Royal Genies, which do some things, like a butler. But, these are $$$$++, and the pricing is not for the faint of heart: $85,000 for the Royal Family Suite!

Royal does have Star class suites. Which are just as good and probably better than YC. They included the minibar that everyone is complaining about. Yes, they are not as cheap as YC but they do have everything that YC offers and more.

Royal does have Star class suites. Which are just as good and probably better than YC. They included the minibar that everyone is complaining about. Yes, they are not as cheap as YC but they do have everything that YC offers and more.

The suites are not the issue - I'm sure other ships have much more beautiful suites. Even the YC Royals are pretty boring. The issue is the cost to benefit ratio. YC can't be beat. So many benefits to YC that other lines either don't have or cost extra. Hey, I'd stay in that $85K suite any day - if someone else was paying! But for my money I'm getting the best bargain I can find.

I stayed in a star class suite on Royal with eight people and it was $18000. Just posting that Royal does have suites that do offer the same stuff. Yes, On average are more than msc. Royal must be doing something right, if most Star class suites are sold out months in advance.

I will come back here and post our experiences in july. We have sailed royal exclusively. On oasis class, we have cruised 5 times in the crown loft suites with another booked this october. But for this july we are in yc balcony for two weeks. I know the room is smaller but for the price we arw cruising two weeks in yacht club vs one week in a crown loft. Will see if MSC wins our business for feb 2019 and beyond. Or will it be back to royal?

I just looked up those loft suites, they look incredible. I have YC booked for 2019, I will be interested to see what you think is better, I'm all over the place with what to book for 2020.

What is odd/sad, is that the best suites on MSC, are often not YC. Example, the duplex suite, with outdoor Jacuzzi: what gives, any other line, this would be the top suite category?
I agree completely.

What is odd/sad, is that the best suites on MSC, are often not YC. Example, the duplex suite, with outdoor Jacuzzi: what gives, any other line, this would be the top suite category?

I believe that the MSC mentality is that the cabin, suite or stateroomt, whatever you call it, is one thing, and the experience is something totally different. I kind of like this setup as it offers many different choices for the cruiser. For my first MSC cruise, June 18 on the Seaview, I booked an interior Fantastica, as I am going solo and don't need a big cabin, as I do not plan to do much other than sleep and shower in it. But after reading and learning so much on this site, I decided to splurge and upgrade and got myself an interior Yacht Club (Accessible) #18033. I was suprised that I was able to get an accessible cabin, but was told that MSC holds them only for so long for who needs them, and then anyone can book it. I like it as it is larger than a normal interior and has a large bathroom! Now I have the best of both worlds.

How do the Royal Caribean suite lounges, suite restaurant, and suite pool compare to those on the MSC YC?