Costa Victoria 13/1/18

alicat58

Hi everyone

Cats taken to cat hotel and cases mostly packed (56kg allowance in total:D). Actually could have 2 10kg carry on cases but someone has to cart a rucksack full of camera equipment with.

Other than in Singapore I am going to be internet and cruise critic free zone. The weather in Singapore looks dire for the next few days. Hopefully we will manage to do a few of the things on my list.

Alicat

Hi Alicat,

Have an amazing time. Please take lots of pictures- put that camera equipment to work. Relax, enjoy and soak up Asia.

Now for a short list of jobs while your onboard:

Can you please take some snaps of the dinner menus- not all just a few.

Please take a mental note of what others are wearing on Gala nights and how many you have.Especially what the guys are wearing.

Also please and I know this one is tricky if your not using them yourself- just a mental note of which ports offer ship transfers to either a beach or into the city. I know KL has an On Your Own excursion option but previous experience tells me that there are shuttles offered (for a fee) at other ports.

Stay safe and love every minute of it.

Edited by tjandluke

Hi everyone

Cats taken to cat hotel and cases mostly packed (56kg allowance in total:D). Actually could have 2 10kg carry on cases but someone has to cart a rucksack full of camera equipment with.

Other than in Singapore I am going to be internet and cruise critic free zone. The weather in Singapore looks dire for the next few days. Hopefully we will manage to do a few of the things on my list.

Alicat

Alicat, have a great cruise.

Singapore, one of my most favourite places. If you get the chance try the local dish "Chilli Crab", also next to the Harbour Front teminal there is the Vivo shopping mall, up on the roof there isa great hawker market with superb food.

Tanja, mouth is still watering since I first wrote about Chilli Crabs.

We have eaten mostly in Momma Kong (would be King Kong if dear Miwas with us) in China Town, also tried it in a couple of places in Arab Street.

We live on the beach not in the suburbs. We have a pretty constant sea breeze and its at least 10C cooler here than in the suburbs. Just too many on the beach for my liking though....We also have air conditioning but have hardly used it as the breeze comes through and its fine.

Hi Alicat,

Was one of our favourite ships & had planned to go on her after the re-fit in May.

You are quite right far to many Perla Diamante members now, with new rules & constant up-grades to suites leave the Club Dining rooms overcrowded & full.

On the Diadema over Christmas we had more guests booked in the Club Diadema than the were room for 94 seat each sitting and Maître 'd trying to fit 120 guests in, some were transferred to the Samsara restaurant, mainly cause by large families taking on suites because it was cheaper.

For the first time ever I queued outside a restaurant before doors open, (hated it) but only way we could be sure of a table at the time my wife needed to eat.

Just turned down a great deal on the Mediterranea for June no suites left.

On the Magica we were put upstairs in MDR but at least that was all suite & Perla Diamante guests and we had set table numbers during the evenings.

The new rules are ruining the Costa Club & their most loyal members, 230 days with them over twenty year 25 cruise, yet unless we can cruise three times a year we will be downgraded.

Hi peeps

Now on board and mightily peeved. Heaving with diamond pearl members and we are in the main restaurant but not free dining. First sitting at 6pm! Ship is past her prime.

Alicat

Alicat, so a great start to the cruise. I did write in previous messages that the ship would not be in a good condition but who listens to me.:(

Are you staying in Singapore for a few days after the cruise?

Have a great cruise.

Your Cheeky Sod:halo:

The new rules are ruining the Costa Club & their most loyal members, 230 days with them over twenty year 25 cruise, yet unless we can cruise three times a year we will be downgraded.

Tenpin, agree with you 100%

For Costa, loyality is a very short term of three years.

Luckily there is life after Costa, 7 weeks til we board Celebrity Millennium in Hong Kong.:D

Sorry to hear Alicat. Hope the Ports of Call make up for it.

After not cruisig for so long with Costa (last was in 2012) I assumed that I would be right back at the beginning re: Costa Club. They still have me listed as the 2nd level.

But my pet peeve with them is still the same. As there is just Luke and I that cruise- there are no children's discounts if only 1 adult goes. Discounts only kick in if there are 2 adults travelling. I have always had to pay a full fare for him even as a 4 year old- which is fine- as a single parent you know these rules and you either choose to travel or not. He does get a slight discount on the auto tips. So Costa are more than happy to take full adult fare for him but he is not eligible to be in the Costa Club and start earning his own points. So in one way he is an adult for fare purposes but not for points purposes.

Alicat,

Sorry to read the ship is not good.

I did not even know you could get mouldy lobster! YUK!

Being in Australia we are absolutely spoilt when it comes to seafood.

Hope your having a great time visiting the ports. And have met some nice cruising buddies!

Moldy lobster. Did you complain? Probably left over from the last Chinese cruise.

We were thinking about the Fortuna next year from Singapore, but if the Fortuna has gone the same way as the Victoria, then we'll look elsewhere.

Alicat owes us a FULL report when she gets back with all the gory details.

We were thinking about the Fortuna next year from Singapore, but if the Fortuna has gone the same way as the Victoria, then we'll look elsewhere.

I was in reality only about 3 days away from booking the Fortuna for December this year- departing 16th from Singapore- Christmas in Cambodia then NY in Singapore.

Im seriously thinking of holding off for a bit longer and trying to find exactly where Fortuna has been. I know she has spent some time in Asia but not as long as Victoria.

Happy lunchtime in Phuket.

TJ we've been to Sydney and visited the fish Market lots. Stunning large prawns. Yum yum.

They are scrubbing the pool deck and laying new carpets in the grand bar. Went to the pizza place last night. Pretty good at 5 euros each.

The ports make this cruise. The stays are long which is great. We are battling with the heat but heyho.

The majority of the guests are Italian. Same old same old.

We stayed in Singapore pre cruise. Straight home after an back to work the day after. That's going to be fun.

I'll write more detail when I am back home.

Alicat

Currently sitting at Changi waiting for our 23.15 flight nursing a 15 Singapore dollar beer. The wine was just outrageously expensive.

Got off the ship at 9.15ish. With the 8 hour difference to UK time it makes for a very long day. Arriving UK time 5.15 am tomorrow.

Picked up a stinking cold as well.

All is not misery though. Once I have recovered I'll tell all. Probably in too much detail.

Alicat