Payment Question

jhenry1

i have a question regarding final payment. I have cruised many times and never had this issue. I booked 2 suites one for my husband and I and one for my daughter. I have made the deposit but I just realized when the final payment is due that the remainder of the payment is more than the limit on my Visa card. I do not want to raise the limit and I want to pay on this card so I get the points for travel. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so what is the solution? I thought that I might could pay part of the remainder a week or two before the final payment and once it is posted go make a credit card payment and then pay the balance on the card. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kandy

It's not a problem to make multiple payments in advance of the actual final payment due-date. That's exactly what we did for our upcoming World Cruise; I think I spread the final payment amount over a period of 6 months since my preferred card did not have a credit limit high enough for the understandably large final payment.

i have a question regarding final payment. I have cruised many times and never had this issue. I booked 2 suites one for my husband and I and one for my daughter. I have made the deposit but I just realized when the final payment is due that the remainder of the payment is more than the limit on my Visa card. I do not want to raise the limit and I want to pay on this card so I get the points for travel. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so what is the solution? I thought that I might could pay part of the remainder a week or two before the final payment and once it is posted go make a credit card payment and then pay the balance on the card. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kandy

We did exactly what you are asking about. Booked the 2917 World Cruise about 3 1/2 weeks before final payment was due. We were using a TA for the cruise. Told her what we needed to do and she simply made three charges to our credit card about a week apart, allowing each charge and pay off to post before making the next charge to the card. Worked like a charm and kept us below our credit limit! DH followed the transactions on-line to get the timing right.

You might want to check with your bank that your type of credit card does not have a "points limit" - some of the reward cards out there state in their T&C that while you can make multiple charges and payments during a billing cycle, you will only earn the points of your credit limit, e.g.,, if your credit limit is $15,000 and you make three charges of $15,000 and three payments of $15,000 in one billing cycle, you will only earn 15,000 points for the month.

gnomie :)

You might want to check with your bank that your type of credit card does not have a "points limit" - some of the reward cards out there state in their T&C that while you can make multiple charges and payments during a billing cycle, you will only earn the points of your credit limit, e.g.,, if your credit limit is $15,000 and you make three charges of $15,000 and three payments of $15,000 in one billing cycle, you will only earn 15,000 points for the month.

gnomie :)

Our credit card gave us the full point value for the total cost of the WC. Since it was a travel charge we also got extra points. Those points and the cash back from our TA really made the price too good to pass up.

We took the air credit from Regent and used some of the points earned to buy round trip1st class air and extra hotel nights in LA as we have not been there before.

We did exactly what you are asking about. Booked the 2917 World Cruise about 3 1/2 weeks before final payment was due. We were using a TA for the cruise. Told her what we needed to do and she simply made three charges to our credit card about a week apart, allowing each charge and pay off to post before making the next charge to the card. Worked like a charm and kept us below our credit limit! DH followed the transactions on-line to get the timing right.

WOW ... 2917 ... THAT is quite the booking. Are cruise ships flying in 2917? Just curious. :')

WOW ... 2917 ... THAT is quite the booking. Are cruise ships flying in 2917? Just curious. :')

That would be a feat!! I don't know how I missed that typo..as I did proof the post! Sorry, of course, should have been 2018!