Azamara now calling up pushing land discoveries

uktog

Just had a first - a call from Azamara (right in the middle of an online work meeting grrrr) pushing land discoveries for my cruise in two weeks time asking had I thought of booking some more (we have two booked that will be replaced by OBC onboard). They were also pushing signing up for the Azamazing Evening (when we had already done this).

Not at all keen on this kind of marketing, smacks of desperation.

For Brits, the current exchange rate applied to Land Discoveries in £ is not great given the currently improving £ rates...

Anyone else had calls like this from Azamara, sounded like Guatemala

I had one about 2 weeks before our 09.09.16 TA on Quest.

I told them I had no intention of booking Land Discoveries at their inflated prices.

The only one I had pondered over was the ‘Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society,’ where visits were made to places mentioned in the book, but we took the road train instead. All other ports were easily accessible as port transfers were complimentary.

We have just received a letter from Richard Twyman advertising Pursuits cruise from Barcelona to Southampton and the round trip cruise to Iceland from Southampton.

First time we have ever had anything like that, the letter did also wish us a Merry Christmas.

I suppose what rattled me was the opener was a long speech about the Azamazing evening and what it was. Er we had actually signed up though he said we had not (maybe a systems issue) and secondly unless they have suddenly changed the rules, there is no need to sign up until onboard.

The Azamazing evening was being used as a route in to push for more.

Granted he recognised we already had two booked, but the line was haven't you thought about booking more.....

I was contacted about two weeks ago asking if I wanted to upgrade the drinks package or book shore ex for my upcoming Quest cruise. The caller also seemed to want to tell me about Pursuit and to see if I wanted to book anything on it. Maybe sales aren't so good for Pursuit.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I had a call about two weeks ago about the "wonderful deals" on Pursuit and taking advantage of them while I could, as prices will certainly rise in 2018! This was from a gentleman called Luis who was clearly not fluent in English, so I'm thinking he was based in Guatemala.

I told him that I didn't consider any of the current prices on Pursuit "wonderful deals" and if he was having to ring around previous passengers to drum up interest, then maybe none of us did! He just said Goodbye and then hung up.

They should consider going back to early booking discounts. A no brainer IMHO

Totally with you on that one but they will need the OBC booking engine or there will be complaints that its not fair fi bookers want to use OBC - I think thats one reason it got killed off last time.

I would also have no problem if some were non refundable (only refundable if you cancel the cruise) in return for a discount. I have read posts here of people who book loads (dollar bookers of course as its no cost to them) and then post, I've booked them but am still to decide which ones I will keep.... the perennial problem.

Totally with you on that one but they will need the OBC booking engine or there will be complaints that its not fair fi bookers want to use OBC - I think thats one reason it got killed off last time.

I would also have no problem if some were non refundable (only refundable if you cancel the cruise) in return for a discount. I have read posts here of people who book loads (dollar bookers of course as its no cost to them) and then post, I've booked them but am still to decide which ones I will keep.... the perennial problem.

There are many different ways to do this. Non refundable would certainly be an alternative. Most hotels give you 25-40% on non refundable deals. If you want full flexibility you pay the full price. Same could be done using OBC.

Can someone who has done this before explain how 'bookings' are handled with regard to when one pays?

With Seabourn the money comes off your credit card the moment you upload a request to go on an excursion. With Silver Seas they add the amount to your onboard account which you settle on the final day of the cruise.

Both allow people to cancel if they decide not to take an excursion but clearly the Seabourn route to get your money back is more confusing for them to handle. On our July Seabourn voyage we used the laundry twice and one was added to our account and the other directly taken off our card (for reasons nobody seemed to understand).

I've looked at a couple of thousand dollars worth of trips for our December cruise. If I pop them on to the Amazara site now will they be off my credit card today - or when our cruise finishes a month tomorrow?

The other 'problem' as a Brit is caused when dollars are converted to sterling and back. Many credit cards charge up to 3% each time. I have a Caxton Currency card where the deal is better - but clearly the fewer times one changes the less costly it becomes.

Caxton discourage the use of their cards as a 'hotel deposit' as people like hotels and car hire companies lock off sometimes quite substantial amounts on cards submitted so they know they are covered. I had a hotel and car rental charge on my Caxton card for about thirty days before the two organisations released it. That is infuriating as it stops you moving currencies around on the card. If I register my Caxton card with Amazara am I likely to find them provisionally protecting themselves?

Tony

With Azamara, if you book an excursion before you go on a cruise it is charged to your card immediately. If you book it whilst on the cruise it is part of your end of cruise bill and charged at the end of the cruise.

Here is the wording on the invoice “Cancellations made onboard may be subject to a cancellation fee. Cancellations made prior to sailing are not subject to a cancellation fee. Refunds issued online prior to sailing will be credited to the credit card on which the original charge was made and in the currency of the guest's cruise booking. Refunds made during the cruise will be issued to the guests' Seapass account in GBP.”

I agree with you about the potential costs of cancelling, although we have a card that gives market rate and makes no charge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you about the potential costs of cancelling, although we have a card that gives market rate and makes no charge.

As does Caxton - which I mention for anyone following this thread and cheekily as we know the people who started it! Good pals of ours.

Tony

Thanks for the above.

You quote Refunds made during the cruise will be issued to the guests' Seapass account in GBP

Is the accounting on the boat in GBP then and not dollars?

Tony

No, I guess the Ts & Cs I quoted mention GBP because I paid for my excursion in GBP. The accounting on the ship is in dollars. I think a refund would possibly show the GBP refund, then it’s dollar equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the above.

You quote Refunds made during the cruise will be issued to the guests' Seapass account in GBP

Is the accounting on the boat in GBP then and not dollars?

Tony

No it’s in dollars. Interesting quoted terms, not sure if the poster has ever had to cancel tours onboard but we have and I can assure you the refunds are in dollars based on the dollar selling price at the time you booked the excursion. The refund is made to your onboard account and if you have a credit balance on your account that’s refundable (a cancelled excursion is) this is paid back to your card.

When checking in make sure you select the option that your card issuer will do the conversion not Azamara (very bad rate)

The biggest problem is when booking land discoveries for our December cruise the conversion being applied by Azamara is 1.21. That’s why we might risk waiting until onboard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When checking in make sure you select the option that your card issuer will do the conversion not Azamara (very bad rate)

The biggest problem is when booking land discoveries for our December cruise the conversion being applied by Azamara is 1.21. That’s why we might risk waiting until onboard

I see. My downloaded .pdf of excursions is quoted in GBP. If I booked and cancelled one of those Amazara would refund me 1.21 USD per pound whereas my Caxton chums would give me 1.31 USD

Tricky.

But then if you cancel on the boat you may get a cancellation fee.

Still tricky.

Tony

I see. My downloaded .pdf of excursions is quoted in GBP. If I booked and cancelled one of those Amazara would refund me 1.21 USD per pound whereas my Caxton chums would give me 1.31 USD

Tricky.

But then if you cancel on the boat you may get a cancellation fee.

Still tricky.

Tony

No you are refunded in dollars. Let’s say your excursion cost $121 dollars. Azamara will charge you £100 on purchase. On refund the current by back rate is 1.36 so your refund will be around £88. That’s why we are waiting until onboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums