Recent Southampton embarkation times

minikiss

I'm wondering what every ones experiences are with checkin times at the moment.

We are sailing this Saturday on Ventura from Southampton Ocean berth and we have a 2.30 check in time.

Normally i'd stick to the times, but with possible weather warnings for the weekend i'm wanting to get there early in case of hold ups. I'd rather get there early then get stuck and be late.

So what i'm wondering is how strict are they at the moment, sticking to the times or being flexible.

It would be nice to think if we arrived early we would not be made to wait to long but if we do I guess we will have to.

If it helps I was aiming to arrive around 1pm.... and we aren't any loyalty level as this is only our second time with P&O.

Thanks in advance Jules

I had a hotel check out time of 12pm in Southampton, so arrived at Mayflower long before my alloted check in time of 2.30pm. There were already a lot of people there. However, they went through the check in card colours quickly, and I was on board by 1pm.

Worst case scenario is they might make you sit in the terminal for a while, but I saw no-one being prevented from having a seat because they were early.

Currently on Arcadia. Our checkin time when we left Southampton was 3:00. Arrived just before 1 and were on board just after 2. Main hold up was the slow progress through security.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Which is caused by too many people arriving at the same time!!

I think it depends on how many of your fellow cruisers also decide to arrive early due to the forecasted bad weather. If you all think it would be a good idea there is a good chance you will be waiting. If a lot are waiting you may or may not get a seat. Priority (high tier loyalty and suites) will begin boarding about 12 midday so it will be after that.

On our recent Ventura cruise, we had a check in time of 3.30. As we had a two hour plus journey, we had to allow for traffic congestion and arrived at 12.30 as there were no delays.

We were happy to be there, warm, comfortable and able to have a coffee and a wee and were prepared to read our books for as long as it took to embark.

As it happened, we were in the Glass House having lunch by 1.30!!!

It is certainly the case that they are checking in earlier that when the new rules came in. Top tiers are being checked in well before 12.00 so that when boarding starts they go straight to security and on to the ship. That means that those lower down the embarkation list are moved up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is certainly the case that they are checking in earlier that when the new rules came in. Top tiers are being checked in well before 12.00 so that when boarding starts they go straight to security and on to the ship. That means that those lower down the embarkation list are moved up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We meet again daiB - same subject. :p:p

We are also on this cruise with you kisskiss (B2B)- same problem, as we have a 3.30 boarding, which no-one in their right mind would arrange to arrive at - especially when dealing with motorways etc. and especially in view of the weather forecast and Christmas madhouse shopping traffic in Soham.

Anyway, we hope to arrive at about 12 midday - my mother is a very physically frail 102 year old - and I have been given the name of a person who will hopefully, expedite her transfer to the cabin as quickly as possible. I will bring her lunch, she can then have her rest and be rejuvenated (hopefully!) in time for lifeboat drill!

Its really interesting that I am finding across all cruise lines, that onboard staff are more willing to please and be helpful to their guests, than those on shore. I had to ask the lovely Tiffany at Pando to email the Hotel Manager - who did remember me:halo: - and hopefully his advice will ensure mother a problem free transfer to the ship. Once onboard, I hope that we won't disembark at all for 26 days. Gangways and ports are a no-no these days - the ship is our destination.

See you on the 10th!!

Hi BMT

I'd say you'll have no problems as you will get assisted boarding.

Wow your mum is doing really well for her age, I can see why you'd not want to get off with her, best stay safe and warm on board.

We have snow here but i'm hoping to be driving away from it.

I'm still hoping to get there around 1pm anyway if i'm made to wait well so be it, i'll be there dry and warm hopefully sitting down. If my Guardian angel works her normal magic i'll be on fairly quick.

See you to on the 10th.

Jules

• 2 weeks later...
Which is caused by too many people arriving at the same time!!
No, that was not the problem. The issue was that more people were being processed (cruise cards issued etc) than could be screened by security. If the number of people being processed had been the same number as could be screened, there would have been no lengthy wait to pass through the scanners. If everyone had arrived at their allotted times, there would still have been security queues.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app