in-suite TVs

Jeronimo

Just leaving Mariner and found those awful Anomi TVs have been replaced by Samsung series 477 in 32" and 40" varieties.

These have USB inputs as well as 9 pin DIN and 3 off HDMIs BUT...

Whilst they are not locked into hotel mode like the old Anomis the Regent branded remotes are missing the one vital button to select an input.

So it's still not easy to display your own pictures on the TV but it's not impossible.

If you have a tablet with an IR port then it's easy to emulate a proper Samsung remote and then displaying pictures from your USB stick is easy or the cheat way out is to borrow a proper Samsung remote (from a laundrette).

It's a great shame that regent saved a few dollars by buying the 477 series instead of the 690 series as the latter have AllShareCast (aka Mediacast) built in which would enable wireless connection from any tablet and any phone to the TV, so easy to see your pictures on the big screen.

Now that would have been 6 star service!

Part of the problem would then be needing to provide staff to help those who think they have the right equipment to interface with the TV but in reality don't. Then there are those who may have the right equipment but then don't know what they're doing with it who will need help. Then there's the potential malicious use of such a system. Or increased maintenance needs from customers jamming cables into places they're not supposed to go.

We are total troglodytes when it comes to technology-- can work a computer, but that's about it. Question: Does the new system still have the capacity to play a CD? We often enjoy falling asleep to quiet jazz, and that was the way we got music in the past.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Two ways to easily use the HDMI ports:

1. Use the DVD player remote--there is a small set of button in the upper right for the Samsung TV. The "input" button there is enabled.

2. A bit trickier. All the Samsung TVs have a little button on the bottom right of the back of the TV. It pushes in and also moved in all four direction. Push it in, then after the menu comes on the TV, push it to the left (your left) and you'll be able to access all TV functions including input.

Thanks, Michael.

The kind of jazz we listen to is almost like soft adagios or chants. It soothes us to sleep. I've always been an insomniac, but it's gotten worse as I've aged. So these calming jazz pieces (not an oxymoron, really) or our Bach at Bedtime CD's really do help. Also Carlos Nakai and the like. I'm relieved to know that we'll still be able to indulge that pleasure, though I'll say, too, that we often sleep better onboard than most other places, certainly better than at hotels.

• 1 year later...

The Voyager now has the Samsung 690 series TVs.

These support AllShareCast (aka Mediacast) and so you can watch and listen to your movies stored on your phone, tablet or laptop on the Samsung TV - no wired connection required.

Unfortunately the Regent remote will not let you select AllSharecast as an input so you either need a proper Samsung remote or you can use your phone or tablet as a remote provided it has an ir port.

Plays mp4s. (The button on the back of the TV , see post #4 above, is inoperative in hotel mode and there are no CD or DVD players supplied)

The two USB ports on the rear can also be used to show pictures or movies. Just make sure you plug the USB in once the TV is powered on; then a selection menu will automatically appear allowing you to choose videos or pictures. (can also play mp3s this way too.) The Regent remote is fine for this.

The 2 USB ports can also be used for charging (max 500m/a) phones, tablets etc. even with the TV switched off.

I believe that streaming movies is intentionally blocked on the ships. Not sure but do know that anything that uses up bandwidth can be blocked. It seems that if Regent wanted these functions to be available to passengers, they would give instructions and advise us that it is available.

Just off the Navigator and there was an Input option on the main screen (along with the other menu options). Just need to scroll to that menu and select your source.

I'm going to assume that the TV and other technology on all of the other ships besides the Mariner are more up to date because they have been upgraded and the Mariner has not been, but will be during its upcoming dry dock. Since I will be on the Mariner in a few weeks, what "tools", cables, remote, etc would be good to take along in case we need to hook up anything to the TV?

Irishwitchy

The Mariner has the 477 Samsungs so no AllShareCast but you should be able to connect to the tv with hdmi as you can with the Regent remote select "dvd input".

If you want to use USB input then take a mobile phone with ir port and an app to emulate remote controls. You may not need this as depending on setting in hotel mode the tv may auto announce when a USB stick is plugged in.

I must be getting old as I don't really understand the need to take movies along to watch on a cruise...I can usually find better things to do on one of Regent's ships. And if I want to watch movies, the ones they have on board are more than sufficient for my plebian tastes. I know, different strokes and all that...

That said, though - I usually transfer my photos each day to my iPad and set that up for a slideshow so I can get a recap of our pictures throughout the trip. Always fun to have those playing while we're having a drink or getting ready for dinner, a show, etc. Now THAT would be nice to stream to the TV instead of watching it on the iPad, IMO.

Bill, I had to laugh at your response. I know I wont be putting the TV on at all - I barely watch it at home. It is the spouse that may want that!

Honestly, I only ever use it for the bridge cam, dinner menu, or route information. Maybe a lecture. Just not my thing, I guess.

(Plus, I get tired of the Hollywood gang, too. That might influence my viewing habits.)