Will Princess ditch OM

antsp

I’m going to say 100% no. They have already invested probably millions and as I’ve stated on other threads - RFID tracking and retail analytics is the tech of “better get onboard or get left behind” your competitors. And sorry no major tech rollout happens smoothly. I am just trying to get a new office up (small 30 person office) and AT&T ”accidentally” reset the timer on my voice order and now delayed me by 6 weeks. Let me repeat that - super simple task. Small uncomplicated thing. 1 vendor idiot. 6 week delay. Cruise ship all new tech rollout/networking/security/meeting regulatory compliance - very complicated.

With all the hype that was created, the industry was just on the sideline monitoring the progress. I guess shelving the project would be the very least on Princess’ mind as it may be negatively affect its reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not even a teeny tiny chance. They will figure it out. I worked for the State of California and have seen some pretty "rough" rollouts of technology. Eventually even the state gets better at what they have put out "live" in the field.

To characterize the ***** program as a complete disaster is not correct. It is a big somewhat complicated roll out of existing technology now applied to cruise ships. It is working on the Regal but with some hiccups which is as expected. I worked in IT and no major update is without problems plus it guaranteed me a job. Princess will work out the problems in the not too distant future. Implementation on other ships will go smoother now that they have a firm grip on the issues. It is the wave of the future.

There is no upside to bailing out on this program. When issues get resolved, which should be soon, the negatives will go away quickly once the public sees the features it provides. When totally implemented, it will provide a seamless journey from the time you leave your home until you return. This will be a great marketing feature for Princess and other Carnival ships to have.

This will be a great marketing feature for Princess and other Carnival ships to have.

Though - RCCL's family of lines will be receiving facial recognition technology. I think this is going to work better than Princess's ***** long term. Their technology has always been more advanced than Princess's.

Though - RCCL's family of lines will be receiving facial recognition technology. I think this is going to work better than Princess's ***** long term. Their technology has always been more advanced than Princess's.

Facial recognition may be a good solution, but for the vision plan of where and how the RFID system is going to be used, facial recognition won't compare.

Facial recognition may be a good solution, but for the vision plan of where and how the RFID system is going to be used, facial recognition won't compare.

I see both. I do think RCCL has an edge with technology. I have a friend who saw RCCL's recently and was impressed with it. Princess has always been behind in technology and this roll out sounds disastrous.

does the Royal have the upgraded ***** internet experience yet?

As of last week's five night cruise, no. Though internet performance was a bit more reliable than on Ruby and Emerald the past couple years, my Android did not stay connected to the Princess at Sea intranet any better than before.

And re the Medallion: the timetable may currently be a shambles, but it will arrive on at the very least every ship that has been announced. And eventually more ships as well. You can't compare the Medallion issues to, say, Curtis Stone's SHARE coming to a halt after only three ships; the Medallion program is as other have already mentioned a Carnival Corporate project that after all the press that was cultivated will be finished no matter the time and/or cost overruns.

There is no upside to bailing out on this program. When issues get resolved, which should be soon, the negatives will go away quickly once the public sees the features it provides. When totally implemented, it will provide a seamless journey from the time you leave your home until you return. This will be a great marketing feature for Princess and other Carnival ships to have.

Agree.

Princess had face recognition for photos to purchase in the photo shop you would stand at the computer, touch view photos(or something like that) and it was supposed to pull up all the photos taken on board of you but, it never worked for us.

It never worked for anyone. On Royal, they removed all the monitors that it used.

It's pretty ugly now -- just the mounting hardware.

It never worked for anyone. On Royal, they removed all the monitors that it used.

It's pretty ugly now -- just the mounting hardware.

I noticed that when we sailed in October, you would think they would tidy that area up. Looks like they've been stolen

Although I can't predict the future like some others here can, I think it's entirely possible that ***** could go the way of the Segway, possibly surviving in some scaled-down or significantly-modified form. And its current sorry state could get even worse before it gets better as it tries to go ship-wide, then fleet-wide, then CCL-wide, and is handed-off to the regular ship-board staff to try to make it work. By the time the "bugs" are worked out, if ever, it might be outdated technology. And the mess could cost Arnold Donald his job, and a new CEO might want to go in a different direction.

Retro fitting anything into ships, cars, trucks, buildings etc etc always has problems. MSC's new ship is being built now and they are integrating their version of ***** into it as they build the ship. Like building your new car, build all the features into it before it leaves the factory, makes for a smooth operation. IMO.

I had a chuckle when I read this. I guess you have not spent much time on Celebrity’s website. And their current one is new and improved!

I am currently on the Regal now. There are issues but every day I see improvement. as Ben we first got on board internet was up and down. The last two days I have had no breaks in service, the speed is excellent.

Seriously my only complaint is I can't poke a hole in my card to put it on my lanyard because it's wired for the Medallion. Not a big issue.

We have spoken to several people both apple and android user and the can chat, do FB etc no problem. The only person we ran into with an issue had a Cricket and it appears he needed to be connected to his celluar program to get text messages and couldn't do it it in airplane mode. Understand I'm not a techie so I might not have explain that correctly.

I cannot see them ditching it it and even though I am not medallion, I am very happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk