Age groups on Carnival

cmp03

There is a post from a few years ago where a representative from Carnival stated that its Carnival's policy that if the child is within 6 months of the higher age group, they would likely allow them to move to that age group (I assume it depends on number of kids on board)? Is this still the policy?

We did a Carnival Cruise in May 2012 where my daughter would have turned 6 in less then 2 months so they let her move to the 6-8 instead of 2-5 group. We are doing one in March and instead of being in the 9-11 yr old age group, she would prefer the 12-14 group but it will 3-4 months before her 12th birthday.

Its not a big deal either way, she just doesn't like how in the younger program, you have to do the specific activity planned at that time instead of having open play (where she could say, play video games or other board games they have). I believe the 12-14 age group is less structured right? If the 12-14 group is unstructured and they allow her, this could save me money in the arcade since that's where she spent all her free time on our cruise last year, but at 10 I would never expect her to be able to go with the 12-14 yr olds hahaha.

• 3 weeks later...

My Son was 11.5 and while on the cruise we went to the Circle-C and they allowed him to participate there. There were organized activities and group games, (They were not allowed to play video games all day) but I think that there was also some unstructured time. He loved it and was out with them until 1:00 AM most nights.

We did cruise in January when there were not that many kids on board. My understanding it that they are more strict with the age groups when there are more kids.

The 12-14 group is the most awkward and my older son put it best when he said that Circle C will sink or swim depending on how good the counselors are that are assigned to it. Because mom and dad are no longer deciding on sign or our out privileges, you have to be parent that is comfortable giving your child free reign on the ship (with rules of course). It is critical that they go the first evening, because that is when the groups form, and they often only use Circle C as a place to meet up - they spend very little time there. Being a tween is hard and neither of my sons cared for Circle C, at least when they were 12. This cruise past cruise my youngest was almost 14 and met a group of friends and enjoyed the cruise very much; last year at still 12 he hated it.

As for moving up, the best advice I have read on hear is assume that it will not be allowed; if it is, then you have a pleasant surprise and if it is not no one is disappointed.