Crown Princess

niborHS

We have been on about 20 cruises through the years. Only 1 on Princess over 10 years ago, most have been Celebrity, some HAL more recently. To start off I will say that cruising now is not what it once was, neither the service or food is like the old days. The Crown has a 5 night that will work perfectly for us because it brings up back to Ft. Lauderdale exactly when we have to be there for a family event. I don't care about the ports, we were in Roatan the first year a ship was allowed there, and have been since also. Don't remember the other port, Cozumel maybe? I've been there probably 6 or 7 times, so same thoughts. Tell me what I am going to think about Princess. How is the food? How much do they get you for on the specialty restaurants and are they worth it? I remember them having a bigger variety of shows than Celebrity or HAL,is that still the case? I am thinking of the mini-suite.

"How much do they get you for...?" Really?

While I thoroughly enjoy both Crown Grill and Crab Shack (should it be offered on your Short Getaway cruise) it sure looks like you have already decided that your $29 would be better spent elsewhere--or not at all, else any other self-fulfilling prophecy you seem destined for comes true.

Both MDR and buffet have much better variety on Princess. And if you prefer to dine late there is still entertainment and live music running into the night, unlike my one Celebrity cruise where emerging from late sitting dinner was like being on the Mary Celeste.

Edited by fishywood

We have been on about 20 cruises through the years. Only 1 on Princess over 10 years ago, most have been Celebrity, some HAL more recently. To start off I will say that cruising now is not what it once was, neither the service or food is like the old days. The Crown has a 5 night that will work perfectly for us because it brings up back to Ft. Lauderdale exactly when we have to be there for a family event. I don't care about the ports, we were in Roatan the first year a ship was allowed there, and have been since also. Don't remember the other port, Cozumel maybe? I've been there probably 6 or 7 times, so same thoughts.

Why even bother with a cruise?

As for why I said "what do they get you for", it's because I think they have gotten way out of hand as far as add-ons for specialty dining. The Tuscan Grille on Celebrity is $45, maybe more now. I am from NY, I am used to paying a lot for dinner, however, paying an extra $45 for what is not the greatest anyway, when I can eat in the dining room, is not worth it in my opinion. If I were going on vacation only for the food, I would pick a city and dine out. $29 is reasonable. I do think the specialty restaurants on cruise ships have better food overall than the dining room, I do have my limits, regardless of what I spend at home for a very good meal out.

Why we go on a cruise, if we don't care about the ports? It's relaxing, everything is there for you, there are things to do, if I am not with my husband every hour of the day I am perfectly happy, people are generally friendlier to each other than you would ever get at a resort, and you can't beat the price, even for a mini-suite it's a bargain.

We have been on may 12 cruises over the years and even the worst of them was AWESOME. Always something to remember and laugh about. Seeing the wonders of the world and people in it. I cannot wait to go on the next adventure. It is hard to believe but there is so much more to cruising then whether your lobster is 9 or 12 ounces.

The specialty restaurants are $29/pax. There will be a Crown Grill (steaks or lobster) and a SHARE with their multi-course meal. SHARE normally is $39/pax but on our most recent (last month) cruise on Ruby they had lowered the price to $29/pax. It has not been a very well received dining option. There also is a Crab Shack at $29/person that comes and goes so check the patter. On sea days they will have a pub lunch (included in fare) which is usually well attended.

We find the food to be good and have no complaints. We usually do a specialty restaurant once per week as the food is better as is the service. The pizzeria puts out a great pizza for being at sea (better than CCL and RCI). Your other port is most likely Cozumel since all cruise ships seen to stop there.

I can understand your just wanting to cruise. We have done the western Caribbean many times over the years - usually once per year. So we have been to Mahogany Bay Roatan, Belize and Cozumel at least 10+ times such that we stay in port just walking around or on the ship in the case of Belize (tender port). How can one go wrong with 24 hour food, 2x/day room cleaning, 24 hour room service and entertainment every night in a floating hotel?

The shows are good and a variety with music, comedy and magic being the most presented. We like the entertainment (music) in the Piazza down in the central part of the ship. There will be two bands aboard every night that plays popular music in one venue and jazz/dancing music in another plus of course the piano bar.

There is no SHARE by Curtis Stone on Crown Princess. (Only on Ruby, Emerald and Sun).

Upcharge dining options on Crown include Sabatini's. Crown Grill. Salty Dog Gastropub, Chef's Table, Crab Shack, and Ultimate Balcony Dining. If I was on my PC rather than my phone I could post the document file from the Princess site listing all venues prices and hours by ship.

I am glad the OP clarified their position. They should be very happy with the Crown, attitude reflected in their choice of words notwithstanding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think Sabatini's is worth dining at, at least once. The service, the food, and the ambiance have always been awesome in that venue. On any of the princess fleet. My only recommendation is to be sure to be hungry when you go :D

Princess is one of my favorite lines. They do a great job. Enjoy your cruise!:cool:

A five night cruise will be much more of a party cruise than longer voyages. Probably younger demographic. A lot more lively than HAL. Lots of live music around the ship every evening in all the different venues. Late night DJ in Skywalker's. Crooner's should be hoppin'. Beleive the Crown will have the show Magic to Do. It isn't a magic show. It is a musical show with illusions within the show. Arrive 30 to 40 mins early for the 8pm show, maybe 30 mins early for the 10pm show.

A five night cruise will be much more of a party cruise than longer voyages. Probably younger demographic. A lot more lively than HAL. Lots of live music around the ship every evening in all the different venues. Late night DJ in Skywalker's. Crooner's should be hoppin'. Beleive the Crown will have the show Magic to Do. It isn't a magic show. It is a musical show with illusions within the show. Arrive 30 to 40 mins early for the 8pm show, maybe 30 mins early for the 10pm show.

Totally agree. We were on the Crown for 35 days this past summer and loved it. The only seven day cruise was much "younger" and more active. Loved Sabatini's. We were in Skywalkers every night for the music and happy hour. Enjoy!

My mistake about SHARE. We love Sabatini's and what they offer and indeed go hungry because it can be a lot of fun and delicious. It all depends on when the 5 days are in the week as to who is aboard and whether it is a non-stop party aboard. Our last 5 day cruise out of PE which was a continuation of a 19 day cruise was not all that much of constant party. Quite a few were doing the cruise as part of a b2b for the following cruise. As I used to tell my customers, it all depends.

We've cruised on HAL & X but sort of like Princess a bit better.

Crown Princess is one of our favorite ships. :D

No problem with the food on Princess. Do be sure to give IC (International Cafe) a try ... open 24 hours with a variety of tasty things. ;)

We are the Crown now - no complaints. We use the MDR for diner and deck 15 options at breakfast/lunch - all as expected.

This week the average age is down a bit from last week but few children either week. Doing a 5 day next week just before Christmas - will see then how much demographics change.

We are the Crown now - no complaints. We use the MDR for diner and deck 15 options at breakfast/lunch - all as expected.

This week the average age is down a bit from last week but few children either week. Doing a 5 day next week just before Christmas - will see then how much demographics change.

hey, glad to hear your enjoying your time on the Crown.. ive searched all around for pictures of the main dining room menus for the crown and have had no luck finding any recent ones.. is there any chance you can take pics of the daily dinner menus and post them up?

Just FYI - the Crown is going in for refurbishment in April. If you go on the cruise before then, you may notice things that needs to be replaced like carpets, upholstery, etc. and the buffet will be re-done then too I think. ;)

Not only that but you will notice crews aboard working/replacing things in advance of the dry dock.

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic but not new to cruising. We were recently on the Crown and thought the food was very good. We especially like the Crown Grill and feel the $29 charge is worth it. We would have to pay a lot more for this type of meal at home. Also, considering she is going into drydock soon, she looked very nice and our room was quite comfortable.