Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

We're getting ready to go on Sapphire Princess and in reading a lot of reviews, we've seen quite a number of people mention they took time to make it to Wal-Mart in PV. Why exactly would someone do this? They have that practically everywhere but folks seem to include this in their reviews. I know that in St. Thomas, one of the best places for liquor, folks claimed, was K-Mart. Does Wal-Mart in PV sell stuff it doesn't here?

We liked going to Wal Mart. It's always neat going to a store like Wal Mart in another country. Of course I went to buy the inexpensive liquor. Plus I used to work at Wal Mart so I had another reason to look at it.

• Like 2

People go to the WalMart for a number of reasons. Souvenir shopping "can" be cheaper. It has a reliable pharmacy. It has good prices on Tequila.

On the tequila - it will have a good (but not great) selection, but for the casual drinker, it is enough. The average cruise shopper will think they got a good deal, and for that, it is good. For the discriminating Tequila drinker, we tend to look for brand first and price second.

We went to Wal-Mart in PV, too! My friend wanted to go and I wasn't that excited at the notion (from the standpoint of: here I am in PV and of all the shops to visit, it's WM?!!), but I will say I'm glad we did. We went on the way back from Los Veranos for a 50-cent bus ride. (Bus ride was quite the experience in and of itself -- a cultural experience for sure.)

It was interesting to visit a "regular" store in a foreign country. I bought my vanilla there, got my daughter a sleeveless hoodie and a dress, and marveled at the low quality of clothing -- including some that was downright dirty. Daughter also wanted to try some Mexican candy. Let's just say what she chose wasn't so good and went straight to the garbage after the first taste! LOL!

~gigi

When we were in Cancun, we took the bus to Wal-Mart in downtown Cancun....I questioned my husband's sanity wanting to go to Wal Mart of ALL places, but it ended up being pretty interesting....LOL!

It was laid out exactly the SAME as my own neighborhood WM, which was really trippy, lol, as I knew where everything was, but it was also really weird to see the familiar logos and font in another language.

OK....so I"m easily amused, but it was interesting. lol

• Like 2

What better place to replenish any snacks, soda, batteries, memory cards, etc you might need or had forgotten.

Also...if tis cooler than you thoguht it might be, yo know they'll have sweatshirts or jackets for you. Also...for those who forgot to bring a bathing suit...(you all know who you are!!!) :eek:

A visit to a Walmart while on vacation is generally not out of boredom or curiosity, but of necessity!

• Like 1

For the first time ever, I agree with what each & every person said. I filled my photo card and just bought another at Walmart rather than pay a ridiculous price to empty it out. Their prices cannot be beat! I also go to stock up on chasers for the alcohol I bring along. Whenever I travel amd see a Walmart I get a sense of relief--if I forget something I can afford to replace it. I do not intentionally go there to purchase clothes, but whatever I have purchased there for whatever reason has served the purpose. So I cannot say a bad thing about the place. I LOVE YOU WALMART!!:D

• Like 1

It's air conditioned... We usually go over there because we also like the Puerta Vallarta Marina Mall which is next door and is also air-conditioned. We pick up hard candies and we look around. We have purchased many items from the mall next door, especially at the anchor store Liverpool.

The only Wal Mart I have ever been to is in PV.

First, it is right across the street from the cruise ship pier. An easy walk on nice day.

Second, it has goods that can be picked up in familiar surroundings and it is an ease "lug" back to the ship. I only went there for replacement items...not souvenirs or liquor.

Years back we did a 12 day cruise on the Spirit to Hawaii - couldn't believe the amount of people that made a run for Walmart! Guess I'm against the "norm" - I'm not going to waste my time seeing what I can see in my own backyard so to speak - to each his own LOL

I do agree that many times they have very reasonable priced souveniers.

While WalMart may look the same as your neighborhood Walmart, they do stock many items you will never find back home as well as things you would. It has a huge selection of Mexican items, from food to housewares and souvenirs, candy, nuts and good prices on liquor, as well as a well stocked farmacia. Typical labor politics do not apply here as the Mexican labor laws are quite different and WalMart de Mexico adheres to them.

On cruise days it is busier than normal but if you need to restock or buy something you forgot, it is easy and convenient to do so there. There is also a money exchange (with not the best rates) and a couple of ATM machines. They accept US Dollars (not Canadian) and all cash back is in Pesos as required by law, so please do not ask for US Dollars back in change, it's not a bank and they do not "carry" US Dollars, they just have on hand what each cashier has exchanged. They do not accept $100 US bills nor does Sam's Club.

This is a great place to pick up candy, salsas, spices and other Mexican food stuff that you cannot always find at home and at great prices. Mexican oregano is awesome and so are the cinnamon sticks. Some people like the chocolate para la mesa which is small blocks of chocolate which is melted down and mixed with hot milk to make Mexican hot chocolate- good stuff in the winter! (Found in the coffee area by the chocolate- La Abuelita is the most popular brand)

• Like 1

Trust me, there is always something I forget like conditioner for the hair (ship has shampoo but no conditioner) or razors etc. The cost on the ship is outrageous. My daughter got bit by a bee last cruise in Mazatlan and it swelled up. Walmart to the rescue for benadryl. Souverniers were really cheap too although I didn't know the currency conversion so I wasn't sure what I was paying. After I got my credit card statement, I was pleasantly surprised at all I got for my $44. It was also cool to see the expression on my sons face as he saw the price in pesos for stuff. His eyes about popped out when he saw shampoo price with a dollar sign next to it lol. We're guilty of stopping at Walmart. Plus people flying in can't carry on soda/bottled water etc due to airlines so this is a necessity for some. Not everyone likes Coke products that the ship serves.

My DW and I always go to both Walmart and Sam's Club. We have purchased bottled Vanilla, saffron (unbelievablely low price) and canned abalone (only about $8 a can). It's very interesting, because there are no Walmart or Sam's in San Francisco, the ones in Puerto Vallarta are closer than any we can drive to at home.

While WalMart may look the same as your neighborhood Walmart, they do stock many items you will never find back home as well as things you would. It has a huge selection of Mexican items, from food to housewares and souvenirs, candy, nuts and good prices on liquor, as well as a well stocked farmacia. Typical labor politics do not apply here as the Mexican labor laws are quite different and WalMart de Mexico adheres to them.

Generally, I would agree with you however nothing is ever perfect. I know the WalMart in Cabo had a brief (1-2 days I think) labor stoppage when the store first opened. Don't remember the exact reason, just that it did happen.

When we were in Cancun, we took the bus to Wal-Mart in downtown Cancun....I questioned my husband's sanity wanting to go to Wal Mart of ALL places, but it ended up being pretty interesting....LOL!

It was laid out exactly the SAME as my own neighborhood WM, which was really trippy, lol, as I knew where everything was, but it was also really weird to see the familiar logos and font in another language.

OK....so I"m easily amused, but it was interesting. lol

So, where was the cottage cheese??????????????? They have a weird sense of humor in their placement of things. There is NO WAY you knew where everything was.......just saying from experience.

SDPadreFan,

That is different, that could have been because of permits, etc. I was just pointing out that in Mexico, with Mexicans, WalMart is not known as the "Evil Empire" and does have different labor practices.

WalMart also has the generic drug program, similar to the U.S.... many RX drugs are 39 Pesos or less. Not all items are available. You can purchase any NON-NARCOTIC drug without an RX in Mexico, at WalMart or any farmacia although WalMart usually has the best price.

If you do not know the Spanish name, you can google most drugs and find the English/Spanish names or at least Latin name. Be sure to write it down to show the pharmacist.

I get a generic Lasix and it is 11 Pesos for 20 tablets, so less than $1.00 US Dollar. On the other hand, band names and new drugs are often about the same price.