TSA Security

klfrodo

Also have the issue in smaller check areas, Terminal A LGA, where there is only one machine. So you have to take your laptop and 311 bag out as the TSO looking at the screen can not tell the bag belongs to a known traveler.

Happens every time I fly out of Marine Air Terminal.

That helps, but people who fly infrequently are still confused. The agent directs them and they go in the regular line and are told to take stuff off and out of their bags. The next year they happen to get Pre and are sent to that line, not knowing the difference. The agent is yelling about what to leave on but they are totally confused because it doesn't jive with what they've been told on their past flights so they start wondering if they heard right. I know, because I've listened to countless conversations among travel companions ahead of me in line. "Wait- what did he say?" "Leave your belts on." "But we always have to take them off." "I don't know, that's what he said." I still think we need to take them off." Begins to remove belt and promptly gets yelled at. Now flustered and embarrassed, and still confused, and so forgets to take keys out of pocket etc etc. Honestly, I've seen it play out more times than I can count- agents yelling about what not to do, and then pax doing exactly that after consulting their companion and agreeing that they are confused. I even watched a lady take her cell phone out of her purse to put it separately in the bin. I told her she can leave her phone in her purse in the bin, but she said something about being yelled at last time about something she didn't do so she wasn't taking any chances no matter they were telling her. :rolleyes:

This has happened far too often.

It should really be a comedy routine in some movie (has it?) or on Saturday Night Live.

It would be funny IF it didn't take up so much time.

Plus, it doesn't help anyone, because the novice flyers still don't know "what happens in which line".

Or... "which line is necessarily which"...

And as noted elsewhere, the rules for each type of line can change, due to merging lines or, poorly trained or, um, irritated TSA agents.

And frankly the TSA also adds to that confusion by being inconsistent at Pre Check. At some airports they have still told people to remove shoes -- others keep them on. And then there is the issue of light jackets, sweaters and scarves -- sometimes it is leave on other times it is take it off.

I have always thought that the inconsistency was purposeful.

Plus, it doesn't help anyone, because the novice flyers still don't know "what happens in which line".

Or... "which line is necessarily which"...

Exactly.

I have always thought that the inconsistency was purposeful.

The person with Pre who randomly doesn't get it? Yes, that sort of thing is purposeful. But if you fly enough and watch some of the TSO's, with their swagger, and their "look at me, I have a badge" attitude? I mean, they are hiring unskilled workers by the thousands to keep the positions filled, and you aren't exactly getting the cream of the crop when you do that, and I think sometimes they don't even know the difference between the 2 lines. They work in the regular line for a while telling people to take stuff off/out, and they have that routine down pretty good. Then one day they have to sub over to the Pre line and they remember something about laptops stay in and shoes stay on but they really don't remember that light jackets can stay on so there they are, yelling at women to take off their cardigan sweaters, and screaming at someone with metal studded boots to leave them on because it's Pre, even though the pax swears they'll alarm the metal detector.

Exactly.

The person with Pre who randomly doesn't get it? Yes, that sort of thing is purposeful. But if you fly enough and watch some of the TSO's, with their swagger, and their "look at me, I have a badge" attitude? I mean, they are hiring unskilled workers by the thousands to keep the positions filled, and you aren't exactly getting the cream of the crop when you do that, and I think sometimes they don't even know the difference between the 2 lines. They work in the regular line for a while telling people to take stuff off/out, and they have that routine down pretty good. Then one day they have to sub over to the Pre line and they remember something about laptops stay in and shoes stay on but they really don't remember that light jackets can stay on so there they are, yelling at women to take off their cardigan sweaters, and screaming at someone with metal studded boots to leave them on because it's Pre, even though the pax swears they'll alarm the metal detector.

AMEN. Don't forget they also advertise for smurfs on pizza box lids in some areas (TRUE). Most of their training comes on the job, so we, the traveling public, get to suffer while inexperienced or just plain incompetent staff attempt to process us (they get 2 weeks of class). Turnover is horrific, so we are subjected to more and more new staff instead of staff who get "seasoned" and understand what it would be like to properly and professionally staff a checkpoint.

And frankly the TSA also adds to that confusion by being inconsistent at Pre Check. At some airports they have still told people to remove shoes -- others keep them on. And then there is the issue of light jackets, sweaters and scarves -- sometimes it is leave on other times it is take it off.

The only times I have seen removal of shoes being required for those with TSA PreCheck is in airports that just have "precheck light."

However, this was the Pre-Check lane

It would have helped if you had specified this in your first post, as it commonly happens in a regular lane, but not so often in a pre-check lane.

Actually stating it was Pre-Check really doesn't help. TSA still gives PreCheck randomly to quite a few random travelers unfortunately. Kind of a bummer on several counts - slows down the line for those who pay for it and know how to proceed, cheapens the experience for those who paid to be in that line, etc. Fewer people in that line than at one time (no longer elite members of airline FF programs usually get it and not as many randoms) but it still is an issue.

We have had Precheck for sometime. First through being United elite flyers and then as part of our Global Entry. On a recent trip to Philly with four flights DH was told in the Precheck line one of of the flights to remove his shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't figure out the way pre-check is figured. My Sister who never flies (1x in 20 years) gets pre check then holds up the line because she has some stupid credit card knife in her wallet. She forgot her boyfriend had given it to her years ago. She had enough c!@p in her purse that it took TSA 20 minutes to clear her. Kudo's to the TSA though, they found the knife, but it was a PITA for the other 3 of us waiting on the other side of security. TSA should have the infrequent or slow lines for those needing extra time.

The person with Pre who randomly doesn't get it?

The only times I have seen removal of shoes being required for those with TSA PreCheck is in airports that just have "precheck light."

Shoes with a lot of metal on them (large buckles, decorative chains or studs, etc.) or with a metal shank in the sole may alarm the metal detector and require removal. Different from a blanket order for everyone to remove their shoes but still happens often enough.

TSA should have the infrequent or slow lines for those needing extra time.

For those who have good memories, at one time (2008 aka pre pre check) they had such an setup. They divided it into three groups; for "expert" travellers, for "casual" passengers, and a third group for families with kids and elderly that would need more time. They even used the graphics from ski trails, with the experienced flyers having a black diamond on the background of their signs. Here they are:

blackdiamond.jpg

However, the fatal flaw was that people self-selected into the three lines. People thought that they would get through faster if they picked a higher level line. Thus, the black diamond line got longer and longer. And only those who really needed the time used the green line. So then it became a case of back and forth trying to game the system, looking at what line is the shortest, defeating the original purpose. It lasted for a short while, then TSA scrapped it for the single line (with an elite shortcut).

More on the project HERE.

I don't care who it is, man or woman, young or old: unless you've been living in a cave somewhere, you know the "rules". If a woman is wearing jewelry, for gosh sakes, take it off BEFORE you get in line and put it in a ziplock bag so you can put it back on AFTER you leave the checkpoint. If you are a man, for gosh sakes, take off that big ole' watch and belt and put in a bag in your carryon BEFORE you get in line so you can put it back on AFTER you leave the checkpoint.

If you are woman, know that the underwire in your bra MAY trigger, so please wear a wireless for your trip - the boobs aren't going to suffer for a few hours.

If you are an infrequent flyer and get the free pass to the PreCheck line, ASK what you need to do in this "special" line.

Yep, people not aware of what is special about the PreCheck line and go about it as if it is the normal line and take their good ole time stripping down do bother me.

Hmm, wondering what kind of jewelry is setting off the metal detector.

WHAT WERE WE THINKING!

We, the people, demanded that the US Government take over airport security. The airlines clearly were not doing a good enough job.

We got what we asked for.

Where do we see the biggest problem? The low wages don't necessarily attract the most professional, dedicated personnel.

Whos going to vote for higher taxes to pay for a more professional TSA security checkpoint?

Exactly.

I traveled once wearing a zip shirt. They wanted me to take it off, I said NO, unless you want me to flash you.

Hmm, wondering what kind of jewelry is setting off the metal detector.

Stuff made from the same base metals that the metal on shoes alert to. Not all jewelry is made from silver and gold... The "power" of the magnetometer is not static, so what passed the last time you went through my not pass the next time. Plus, as I am one who prefers to opt out if the nude-o-scope is the only option available, I find it easier to just have the jewelry off than have the groper touching and tugging at it.

WHAT WERE WE THINKING!

We, the people, demanded that the US Government take over airport security. The airlines clearly were not doing a good enough job.

We got what we asked for.

Where do we see the biggest problem? The low wages don't necessarily attract the most professional, dedicated personnel.

Whos going to vote for higher taxes to pay for a more professional TSA security checkpoint?

Each airline ticket has a "fee" of $5.60 per segment, up to a maximum of $11.20 per ticket. Raises about $3.5 billion annually.

Which actually makes it more expensive to buy connecting flights as one-ways rather than a round-trip.

Hi,for me at MIA recently there is a language barrier for us Brits.I was being yelled at by a woman with a fast southern accent,I didnt know what she was asking.It works both ways,if I ask for a diet coke in a clear distinct Brit accent and the server looks at me as if I was from Mars
MIA? Was she speaking Spanish?

MIA? Was she speaking Spanish?

LOL.that reminds me when I pulled into a gas station in Miami in the 80s.The Cuban guy serving me said "dont you speak english". I said,hang on pal I am english.I think things have got worse since then,cheers,Brian,