My Sort of Boring Harmony Eastern Review (12/10-12/17/16)

birdlord

Thanks for posting your review. We were on the same sailing as well as the previous one. We enjoyed all aspects of the ship except the rude, whining, or negative older guests…most of whom were transplants from NJ/NY to Florida. Because of these people we were actually glad to get off the fantastic ship and get into our quiet car where we were away from them.

With that said, we did met some wonderful people in the Suites Lounge, Diamond Lounge, and other areas of the ship.

We were on Harmony the week before and never heard any excessive complaining of anyone. Maybe a comment about the slow elevators but nothing else. We traveled with another couple and had a wonderful time. (we are in the category of "older")

All valid points with one caveat from me. Just because someone looks healthy enough to use the stairs it doesn't mean that they are capable/able to take the stairs. We too have noticed and reflected on all your other elevator points.

Thanks for bringing that up! In my case, I do try to take the stairs when I am going up/down 1 or 2 decks; however, I have had both ankles broken over the years and they have been known to be pretty unsteady at times (roll-over), which "requires" me to use the handrails (which I really hate to touch),:eek: so sometimes I do choose the option of the elevator.;) I probably look perfectly healthy enough to do the stairs but, in reality, probably should not!:rolleyes: I too wish people would take just a moment to let people exit the elevator before trying to push their way in; very rude IMO!:p

I agree with your comments except #2. Who cares? There isn't a sign on the elevator restricting it. People are on vacation and I think if they use good etiquette they should be allowed to use whatever they want. Maybe they didn't go on vacation to exercise.

I especially agree with #4 and #5 (except the remark about royalty... when I'm on a cruise they always make me feel like royalty and I dont' mind :rolleyes: )

Funny thing about #3. We will sometimes get on an elevator going the wrong way because we know it has to turn around at some point and it's sometimes the only way to get on.

Tom

Elevators!

1. There are so many I don't understand how they are sometimes so slow.

2. Why do (physically capable) people ride an elevator one floor?

3. Its not the elevators fault that you board an elevator going up, but you want to go down (no, the elevator isn't broken).

4. Wait for people to get off before you try to get on.

5. If you walk up to an elevator lobby where there are people already waiting for the elevator, wait your turn to get on when it arrives. Despite the name of the cruise line you are not actually royalty.

My wife did mention something about the women's bathrooms, but luckily the men's restrooms were fine.

We were on the Harmony the same week. I'd agree with you on most points. Although we both thought The Fine Line was pretty awesome. Grease was okay, but not really our type of show.

We didn't care for the MDR and only went once. The specialty dining was mostly excellent though.

To me the Rising Tide Bar seems like a waste of space. I rarely saw more than a handful of people inside of it.

The number of rude people (in our experience) was out of control. Not the Harmony staff, but the actual cruisers. Especially within the senior cruisers. Their behavior was just unbelievable. I went into the cruise thinking kids might be an issue, but their politeness was leaps and bounds ahead of the 65+ crowd. Line cutting, seat saving, seat stealing, rude comments, hitting us with wheelchairs/motorized carts, yelling at each other during and after shows, standing in the middle of hallways and walkways and refusing to move, complaining... constant complaints about everything. I'm about a patient a person as you'll find, but by the end of the cruise I was at my limit. We enjoyed the cruise, but in the future I would much prefer a younger, more well behaved cruise community.

We totally agree with you on the above statement; For all the complaining that older folks do relating to younger persons we think they are worse and an awful lot of them think they are entitled for everything. We much rather go on a spring break time frame when their are families and the age factor is substantially less. BTW we are 69 and 61 and still like to have fun and see other families building memories.

Wifey and I were on this sailing too and agree with your comments regarding the rude older folks. To be even more specific, they were all from NYNY and had a very twangy, annoying NY accent. Super loud and obnoxious.

One night in the MDR the couple one table over from us came over and told us they were going to be talking to the staff about these obnoxious people.

Also regarding the whistling noise in the cabins. We had the same issue. The problem was the poor French craftmanship of the sliding door seals. After calling down to maintenance they came up and applied a piece of thick tape to reinforce the gap between the glass and the frame.

And regarding the craftmanship, STX France can't build a ship as well as STX Finland (Allure and Oasis). It really showed in the fit and finish.

</2cents>

Glad you brought up #2. I found that quite baffling as well. Also I got in the elevator on 16 to go down to 6 with coffee or I would have taken the stairs and a mother got in with a stroller, which was fine but her husband and 2 other kids squeezed in to to go down one floor :eek:

Ladies in heels on formal night use the elevators, I've seen a bunch of heels get caught on those staircases.

Elevators!

1. There are so many I don't understand how they are sometimes so slow.

2. Why do (physically capable) people ride an elevator one floor?

3. Its not the elevators fault that you board an elevator going up, but you want to go down (no, the elevator isn't broken).

4. Wait for people to get off before you try to get on.

5. If you walk up to an elevator lobby where there are people already waiting for the elevator, wait your turn to get on when it arrives. Despite the name of the cruise line you are not actually royalty.

My wife did mention something about the women's bathrooms, but luckily the men's restrooms were fine.

I am going to respond to your item #2 by simply saying, not everyone who appears 'physically capable' can handle even walking between even a single deck. I am quite physically capable most of the time of walking several sets of steps between decks on a ship.....and then there are times, when my arthritic ankles and knee have a different opinion and it is 'elevator time'......so don't make a judgement, just by someones appearance.

We were on the HOTS last week, also. Our family of 5 paid the upcharge for texting/chatting and it worked beautifully all week. Well, worth the $7.95 charge for us.

The OP did not mention anything about the waterslides. Did anyone in your group go on them? If so what were they like. I sail on Harmony in February and am looking forward to them.

I am going to respond to your item #2 by simply saying, not everyone who appears 'physically capable' can handle even walking between even a single deck. I am quite physically capable most of the time of walking several sets of steps between decks on a ship.....and then there are times, when my arthritic ankles and knee have a different opinion and it is 'elevator time'......so don't make a judgement, just by someones appearance.

I agree 100%, I'm 51, look physically fit, but due to a riding injury years ago, I have a bad knee. I still get around fine, but my limit is 3 flights up or 5 down. Unless I am in heels, then sorry, I will take elevator.

The OP did not mention anything about the waterslides. Did anyone in your group go on them? If so what were they like. I sail on Harmony in February and am looking forward to them.

The waterslides are really cool, both myself & my 13yo son enjoyed them. Darker and faster than expected!

The Abyss on the other hand I found to be kind of anticlimactic. For me, the scariest part was the entry platform (due to my fear of heights), after that the slide itself was not so dark and not so fast or exciting.

how do you know these people are healthy enough to take the stairs. There are many people, young and old that look healthy but have issues that are not always visible, such as heart problems

Maybe that's why they have heart problems. Too much elevator!

On the Harmony TA I assumed they built the stairs just for us. We very rarely passed other passengers on the stairs.

It was very tough on the wheelchairs to get elevators as others have said. Passengers would just cut in front of them. Saw it many times....

I agree with your comments except #2. Who cares? There isn't a sign on the elevator restricting it. People are on vacation and I think if they use good etiquette they should be allowed to use whatever they want. Maybe they didn't go on vacation to exercise.

The people that "care" are the people that actually need to take the elevator. . normally, it's not a problem but at peak times, when the elevator crowds are out of control, why not just take the stairs a couple of decks and help out a few of your fellow passengers that actually need to use it. :)

Who gets to decide the people that need to use it?

I take the stairs most of the time. I like the exercise. But, I know people who look perfectly fit who still can't make it up the stairs regularly. There are probably some who could hobble up the stairs with a little effort, but prefer the ease of the elevator. They are on vacation after all.

How do you tell?

It seems to me that good etiquette is the best policy.

Tom

The people that "care" are the people that actually need to take the elevator. . normally, it's not a problem but at peak times, when the elevator crowds are out of control, why not just take the stairs a couple of decks and help out a few of your fellow passengers that actually need to use it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The waterslides are really cool, both myself & my 13yo son enjoyed them. Darker and faster than expected!

The Abyss on the other hand I found to be kind of anticlimactic. For me, the scariest part was the entry platform (due to my fear of heights), after that the slide itself was not so dark and not so fast or exciting.

We have waterslides at our local city pool, which have you end up in a pool of water, not just a 'soft landing pad that is filled with water'. I might be a little uncomfortable with the darkness, but probably not the speed. How do the slides end? I have little interest in the Abyss, at all.

We have waterslides at our local city pool, which have you end up in a pool of water, not just a 'soft landing pad that is filled with water'. I might be a little uncomfortable with the darkness, but probably not the speed. How do the slides end? I have little interest in the Abyss, at all.

'landing pad' is about accurate, more like a chute/channel...

No they do not exit into a pool.

The darkness was a bit weird at first. Don't get me wrong -- they're not super impressive, but fun anyways. One of them puts you in a big bowl midway through (think of a giant toilet) ;) but most people get stuck or slow down a lot, so you don't go spinning through like you might think.

'landing pad' is about accurate, more like a chute/channel...

No they do not exit into a pool.

The darkness was a bit weird at first. Don't get me wrong -- they're not super impressive, but fun anyways. One of them puts you in a big bowl midway through (think of a giant toilet) ;) but most people get stuck or slow down a lot, so you don't go spinning through like you might think.

OK on the description of 'chute/channel'. I am just looking for enjoyable.....and it sounds like it will be! Are their lounge chairs near where the waterslides end?

Didn't I mention the slides? We did them. My husband loved them. I got stuck on one that moved sort of slow...Just momentarily but it was in the pitch black...Just a second of panic, but I just scooted and then kept moving. Girl at the bottom who radios up the all clear immediately knew...I'm not sure how, but she asked me if I was OK and said it happened a couple times and was my clothes (?? I was in a bathing suit??). Maybe a half hour later, I heard a little girl telling her mom the same thing happened to her. This is all not to say anything negative...Just my story. I thought the slides were a fun addition. The "toilet bowl" one moves the fastest and had no issues with that one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Didn't I mention the slides? We did them. My husband loved them. I got stuck on one that moved sort of slow...Just momentarily but it was in the pitch black...Just a second of panic, but I just scooted and then kept moving. Girl at the bottom who radios up the all clear immediately knew...I'm not sure how, but she asked me if I was OK and said it happened a couple times and was my clothes (?? I was in a bathing suit??). Maybe a half hour later, I heard a little girl telling her mom the same thing happened to her. This is all not to say anything negative...Just my story. I thought the slides were a fun addition. The "toilet bowl" one moves the fastest and had no issues with that one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Glad that you have come back with your input on the slides. Even on the slides at my local pool, your skin can stick to the plastic and cause a problem. When the attendant said your clothes, she may have meant the style of bathing suit you were wearing, especially if it had 'high cut legs'.

But I digress....sounds like you did enjoy them, and I am so looking forward to them....not really interested in the Abyss slide -- non water and of little interest to me.

The more fabric, the slower you go. Long board shorts and a long sleeved sun shirt? Got stuck every time on the 2 slides on the right, about 20% of the way down. If this happens, put both arms down to dam up water behind you and get pushed by the flood building up behind you. On the toilet bowl one on the left, was lucky to make it 1/2 way around.

Talking to the attendants they confirm skin is in if you wanna go fast. Lost the sun shirt (I'm a dude), hiked up the board shorts and zooooomed on all 3 slides. Made it two full times around on the far left bowl.

These slides are not steep enough and/or not enough water volume to allow anyone and everyone to go thru with no slowdowns and even hard stops. The ones on NCL's Epic and Breakaway did not have these issues.

I loved the slides! Went many times. Just saying the egghead engineers sitting at some computer should go take a ride on what they designed. Or maybe see if the amount of water per minute they required for their design is in fact being delivered.