RCI Newb.Please answer some (lots) silly questions!

South Carolina
1,090 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We sailed Allure in 2016. She is one of the sister ships to Oasis. While many areas of the ship are inward focused, I feel there are plenty of areas where you can enjoy the ocean views. As you said, you are wanting a balcony cabin. That's certainly a great way to enjoy the views.
Someone else mentioned the few chairs at the aft of the deck with the running track. I loved that particular location. It was fairly quiet, and a great place to get away from the crowds. That was my "go to" when we came back from a port and I wanted to watch the people coming back.
The Boardwalk "neighborhood" offers really great views of the ocean. Yes, they are focused to the aft of the ship, but it was my favorite neighborhood. We had a Boardwalk view balcony cabin relatively close to the aft of the ship. I think we were probably 6 or 7 balconies forward of the most aft cabins. We still had a great view.

I do think that there is a certain disconnect if you enjoy the "indoor areas" of the ship. There are not as many opportunities to sit in the comfort of the A/C with the view of the ocean. Not really what cruising is about, but.... just an observation. I missed the view of ocean sitting in the Schooner Bar or many of the other interior areas of the ship. On most ships, you can find a window somewhere if you don't want to go outside. That's not quite as easy on the Allure or Oasis. You have to be a bit more deliberate about choosing your locations to the "sea view."

There was nothing so "disconnected" that would prevent me from going on an Oasis class ship again. There is more than enough opportunity to enjoy the ocean. Go and enjoy your experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majesty of the Seas- Honeymoon cruise-1995
Mariner of the Seas - Family Cruises 2006 and 2008
Celebrity Solstice- Family Cruises 2010 and 2012
Freedom of the Seas- 20th Anniversary Cruise-2015
Allure of the Seas- Family Cruise-2016
Perpetual Flip-Flop State
7,005 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We have been 23 cruises, 2 of them on Oasis class... despite my 'thoughts' that I might not like the large ships, Oasis and Allure became my favorites!!

If you want many tips on Oasis class ships, read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224751

I agree that you should book soon. Royal has limited 3-person cabins. We cruise as a family of 3 and we usually get the best deals by booking early.

The aft area that others referred to is in that thread... here are a couple of pictures of that area. More elaborate info can be found in my review:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Instagram: apdmomcruzr
Up Next:

Adventure of the Seas (June 2018) Review
Norwegian Epic (March 2018) Review
Navigator of the Seas (Nov 2017) Review
Oasis of the Seas (June 2017) Review
Freedom of the Seas (March 2017)Review
CCL Magic (November 2016)Review&FunTimes
NCL Escape (July2016) Review&Dailies
Allure of the Seas (May 2016) Photo Review/Tips
Navigator of the Seas (March 2016) Review
Freedom of the Seas (November 2015) Review
Oasis of the Seas (June 2015) Review
Freedom of the Seas (Dec 2014); CCL Liberty (June 2014); Independence of the Seas (March 2014); Freedom of the Seas (June 2013); CCL Freedom (March 2013); CCL Fascination (July 2012); CCL Liberty (June 2012); NCL Dawn (A Caribbean Christmas 2011); CCL Legend (June 2011); CCL Dream (March 2011); X Infinity (July 2010); Costa Atlantica (April 2010); NCL Dawn (April 2009); Majesty of the Seas (July 2006); Enchantment of the Seas (October 2005); CCL Fantasy (April 2004)
Still to come...

184 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I have booked Allure not Oasis but if you are booking a balcony for 3 it is more comfortable to book one with a couch bed and not a pullman. The diagrams will tell you which is which with symbols. I think the cabin class might be Superior Balcony. The third person in the cabin is usually much cheaper than the first two so if you split costs evenly between the 3 you all share a discount. We had MyTime dining and booked before the trip times based on ports and were able to have a table for just the 3 of us with the same wait staff every night. I loved the size of the Allure, especially on sea days as it never felt crowded.

I should add I never had a problem booking a cabin for 3. The balcony's seem to all come with either the pullman or the couch. The junior suites are limited, however, so if you are wanting one of those then yes, book early.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9/2013 RCL Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Mediterranean
9.2015 RCL Allure of the Seas - Western Mediterranean
10/2016 Carnival Victory - Nassau
jacksonville fl usa
4,508 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
My favorite food thing on Oasis is Park Cafe. I get a roast beef sandwich with double meat. They will add horseradish if you want. I grab a bag of potato chips, a bottle of cold water my my fridge and eat lunch on the balcony. Priceless!
Park Cafe is free! Johnny Rocket's and Wipeout Cafe free breakfast and Wipeout free lunch. The entertainment at night are worlds away from what you'll see elsewhere.
These are things Oasis class offers that are great!
I spend a lot of time on my balcony so my ocean watching is a major part of my cruise. Try it, you'll like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Columbus, OH
1,075 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by djny1077
Also, by the rock climbing walls, are any of those aft balconies public or are they are private?
There used to be two public balconies on each side on the higher decks but those were converted to cabins.

HOWEVER when we were on Allure in 2015, they were only running one of the rock climbing walls on the port side. The area on the starboard side was unused and had about eight chairs up there. It was nice and quiet and no foot traffic walking past. You could just sit there and read a book as the ocean passed you by.

Walk out onto the board walk, head left as you are nearing the Aqua theater, and walk up the steps. There is a door there that goes into the hallway on deck 7 I believe but we never went that direction.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
(Completed or Upcoming cruises) Click on the Ship Name for a review or the Room # to see a pic:
2011-06-24 Monarch 3110; 2012-12-15 Enchantment 3604; 2013-10-05 Jewel 3600; 2014-04-27 Navigator 9305 (Virtual Balcony);
2015-01-03 Independence 6305 (Ben & Jerry's Sweet); 2015-10-25 Allure 11537; 2016-01-09 Adventure 9307; 2017-06-02 Radiance 7600 (Hump Balcony);
2018-04-29 Rhapsody 4543;
2018-11-03 Anthem; 2019-04-13 Empress
2,035 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
We sailed the Oasis 2 years ago, and I felt that I had no connection with the sea. Don't get me wrong--we loved the ship! It's beautiful, has a lot of activities, great food---I could go on and on. The neighborhoods were nice, especially Central Park, but where was that "at sea" feeling? This past January, we sailed the NCL Getaway, a slightly smaller ship with about 4500 passengers, as opposed to Oasis' 6000 passengers. We fell in love!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Waterfront! We could sit out there for hours! Hell, the jogging track on the Oasis is even inside!! Granted, I'm sure RCCL has a lot of things going for it, and even I loved their Promenade, but for now, the sea calls me, and I rebooked the Getaway for next January. If the feel of sea breezes is what you love, you made a good choice booking a balcony, because you will not get that on the Oasis. But please enjoy the Oasis for the great ship she is! You will have a wonderful time! BTW---great gaucomole and Margaritas at Sabor!! And sitting out in Central Park late in evening, having a nightcap under the twinkle lights in bushes and trees, and the sound of (fake) crickets. Loved that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
Carnival Ecstasy 2/7/2000
Carnival Destiny 12/9/2001
Carnival Spirit 11/16/2002
Carnival Victory 9/6/2004
Carnival Triumph 1/6/2007
RCCL Independence of the Seas February 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas February 2015
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Carnival Breeze March 2, 2019
Carnival Magic April 11, 2020
2,035 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
bobmacliberty---thanks for adding the free food venues. But I have to say that RCCL cannot beat NCL for their free food venues.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
2,035 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
About Oasis entertainment---stay away from CATs!! Horrible!! And too long! Most people left during intermission and never returned! We sailed the Oasis 2 years ago, and my adult children and their families STILL joke about that play! It doesn't belong on a cruise ship! Something shorter and more fun and up lifting would be a better choice!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Cleveland
67 Posts
Joined May 2010
I didn't read all of the other comments, but there are plenty of great ocean spots other than your oceanview balcony. We we recently on deck nine, forward (near the elevator bank) and the view was great. There's a fantastic spot on Deck 5 in the back to sit and watch the ocean, it isn't usually crowded. There is also the Sun Deck on Deck 14 (can't remember port vs starboard) all the way forward down a stateroom hall, it's above the bridge and is fantastic and kind of a hidden gem.
There are also nice places up on the pool deck and sports deck for ocean views but they are a little more active. You'll want to bring your drink with you to the Deck 5 and Deck 14 spots since there aren't bars nearby them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scheduled:
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 9/10/17

Sailed:
Freedom of the Seas, Western Caribbean 9/13/09
Freedom of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 10/10/10
Allure of the Seas, Honeymoon! 6/5/11
Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean 9/22/13
Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean 10/27/14

Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean 2/26/17

Personal blog:

probablyrachel.com
Moore, Ok. (Tornado Alley)
87 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
On Oasis go all the way forward to solarium and get in one of the big 360 degree loungers. They look out over front of ship. Best view on board and best napping, reading or chill to spot on the ship. Got to get there early though to get one before they're all taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
255 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by ProbablyRachel
I didn't read all of the other comments, but there are plenty of great ocean spots other than your oceanview balcony. We we recently on deck nine, forward (near the elevator bank) and the view was great. There's a fantastic spot on Deck 5 in the back to sit and watch the ocean, it isn't usually crowded. There is also the Sun Deck on Deck 14 (can't remember port vs starboard) all the way forward down a stateroom hall, it's above the bridge and is fantastic and kind of a hidden gem.
There are also nice places up on the pool deck and sports deck for ocean views but they are a little more active. You'll want to bring your drink with you to the Deck 5 and Deck 14 spots since there aren't bars nearby them.
Deck 14 is a great spot! I would never have known about it if I hadn't seen it from the helipad.

Allure of the Seas February 2017
Freedom of the Seas February 2018
Harmony of the Seas February 2019
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RSSC Voyager - November 2005
Allure of the Seas - February 2017
NCL Sky - December 2017
Carnival Vista - July 2018
Harmony of the Seas - February 2019
KY
585 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oasis is a great ship. Looks like most things have been covered. Nothing like the wonderful waterfront on the Oasis but there is lots of places to have a drink with an ocean view. The chairs off the walking track in the rear under Aqua stage are great and close to the water. Many other places especially up top.

Park Cafe is great for Breakfast and Lunch no charge. Johnny Rockets has a great free breakfast. Love the pancakes. Also second the Cats review. It is well produced but is the very long full Broadway show. I think to long for a cruise ship unless you really like Broadway show.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4,269 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
When everyone says CATS is too long....How many hours are we talking about?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Review Links:
My Adventure of the Seas Review
Southern Caribbean Cruise (Aruba Route):
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275038

My Enchantment Of The Seas Review
Bahama Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185385

My Freedom of the Seas Review
Western Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934831

My Serenade of the Seas Review
Southern Caribbean Cruise (Barbados Route):
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297487

Previous Cruises:
Oasis - Western / Adventure (Southern) - Aruba Route / Enchantment - Bahamas / Freedom - Western /
Serenade (Southern)- Barbados Route / Sovereign - Bahamas

Long Island
230 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Thank you everyone for all the great comments, advice, photos etc! I'll be sure to check out all the reviews and threads mentioned. It does sound like there can be some disconnect to the water, but everything else she has to offer outweighs that. And since I'll have an ocean view balcony, I'll always have that to retreat to if I feel I need some one-on-one time with the ocean haha Looks like I have some research ahead of me!

Does the Solarium get hot? Do you feel like you're outside, is there a breeze? Just curious because it looks enclosed/shielded from the elements but still open air. It does look like a great space and I'm happy to hear its pretty low-key.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for all the great tips. It has me pretty excited and really hoping we can work it out! The original date we wanted was priced a bit out of reach but if we can work it out to go the month before it is totally doable!
Central Illinois
135,048 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by bigque
The schedule says 150 minutes. Not sure if that includes the intermission.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
NY
1,515 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by KG1924
I don't feel any less connected to the ocean on the Oasis class then any other ship I've been on but I've really only sailed on larger ships (always hear the Radiance class has more/better views) but like you, we enjoy staring out on our balcony watching the ocean go by. The running track does have a few chairs at the very aft of the ship (or is it forward....I literally can't remember now lol!)I do know that it curves around one end of the ship and then cuts through with access to the gym up a set of stairs on the other end of the "loop". It's definitely quiet down there and the views are great because you're closer to the water. Other wise the pool deck has great views (obviously lol) and we liked sitting by the aquatheater when shows weren't going on. There's a bar nearby and then there is shuffle board and some chairs and the way back behind the "theater" itself. At least they were there on the Oasis in 2010...we never checked on the Allure last year. There you can get great aft views-I love watching the wake from the back.

Almost any category of Ocean View balconies would give you an unobstructed view. We personally prefer being close to the stairs (those hallways can feel like a VERY long walk on such a big ship) and generally like decks 6-8 more for being close to the promenade deck. Our most recent trip was on the Allure and we had a deck 14 balcony right by the aft elevators. It was fine and it was nice to be close to the pool deck, but if I had an option I would prefer a little lower to be closer to the activities at night. Those martinis catch up to me at night, so it's nice to not have to stumble too far

We did MTD w/ 8 on Allure, regular dining w/ 50 people on Oasis, so my experience would be different. We did not make reservations for MTD because we booked a little last minute so the only available options were very early or very late. By night 3 we found a great staff that we really liked and they were able to get us a standing reservation each night after for 8pm. If you want just the 3 of you each night, try to make reservations ahead if you can. If your schedule changes you can always try to adjust it on the ship or just wait a little bit.
Not to highjack this thread, but I was wondering if you were all able to get tables near each other in the MDR? We are booked for the Oasis next summer and we will probably have too many people for one table, but we would like to have tables next to each other. We have traditional early seating.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

]
Chicago metro area
1,374 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We love the Oasis and Allure. Those ships are huge, but you can find spots to relax and see the ocean. A quiet place to sit and enjoy the ocean is right outside the Solarium. Lots of open chairs that people rarely use. The Solarium is nice, but it can get a little warm in there. There's a nice breeze when sitting outside the Solarium.

As for a cabin, I would book a JS on the hump for the larger balcony. We enjoy our balcony and the hump gives you more space with two loungers plus a table with 2 chairs. We prefer deck 8 and usually stay in cabin 8640. Deck 8 gives you great access to Central Park, the restaurants/bars in CP, plus it's a great way to cut across the ship especially when the Promenade deck is crowded.

Enjoy your cruise!
2,035 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by bigque
Not sure how long it runs total, as we left at intermission (along with 90% of everyone else!) and that was around 90 minutes. We suffered long enough!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Columbus, OH USA
30,809 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by KG1924
The running track does have a few chairs at the very aft of the ship (or is it forward....I literally can't remember now lol!)I do know that it curves around one end of the ship and then cuts through with access to the gym up a set of stairs on the other end of the "loop".
Those chairs are at the back of the ship. The front of the tracks turns inward into a tunnel at the front where you can go up to the gym.

Bill - 60 miles on Oasis class tracks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1st cruise 4/29/06 RCCL Voyager of the Seas. - Eastern Caribbean.
2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas. MOTHER'S day cruise!
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas Halloween in Key West
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
11th cruise 4/26/15 Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean
12th cruise 4/30/16 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
13th cruise 10/17/16 Majesty of the Seas 4 day from Bahamas
14th cruise 4/29/17 Adventure of the Seas ABC islands.
15th cruise 9/18/17 Majesty of the Seas Irma shortened cruise
16th cruise 4/27/18 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean

91 nights at Sea
8 different ships
21 days on an Oasis class, 19 days on a Voyager class, 19 days on a Radiance class,
19 days on a Sovereign class ship, 14 days on a Freedom class, .

Canada
42 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We were in 6664, no lifeboat. Perfect place to be actually, I would book deck six again, because you can easily go outside onto the boardwalk. We used to go on the aft deck near the shuffleboard when we came into port, it was great, especially for Puerto Rico. You also have quick access to deck five, the promenade because there is a staircase right there to go down to the promenade. It comes out right near the rising tide bar. The solarium does fill up quickly, at least in our experience. I too spend a lot of time on the balcony and I found that balcony really great, I love the balcony size on those ships....I just got off pride of America and it gives me better appreciation for royal Caribbean balconies. I could see the ocean well and hear the waves on Oasis....it was a good cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app