Everglades Airboat Excursion - do you see any wildlife?

iluvdonuts

Hello!

We are booked for a NCL Escape cruise in March and thinking about signing up for the Everglades Airboat Excursion once we return to the Port of Miami. I've read some reviews on other travel sites about how wildlife is hard to see from the airboat because the animals hide once there are too many visitors. Has anyone taken this excursion and can you share your experience with me? I am traveling with my family of four, including two boys (age 9 and 12) who would love to see Everglades wildlife. As an alternative, we may also consider just renting a car and taking a day trip to the Everglades national park ourselves. Our flight does not depart until the late afternoon (and I can still change it to even later). I do like the convenience of getting off the ship earlier and transporting all of us plus our luggage to and from the Everglades and then to the airport. However, we do not mind renting a car if it means better time spent at the National Park.

Thanks very much for any insight!

Yes, we saw alligators, birds and turtles. On the land part of the park there are crocodiles and other alligators to be seen from the pathways. There is also the 'show' with a guy who will work with 3 or 4 gators in the spectator area. You will also have an opportunity to hold a baby.

I really enjoyed this excursion, I've done it twice and would do it again.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
Unable to upload photos .... sorry

I did the Everglades park a few years ago. We did it on our own with a rental car. But the airboat ride is a set ride so don’t think you get any more time if you do it on ur own; just more economical.

We definitely saw lots of birds and a few alligators.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like anyplace with wildlife it is always hit or miss. However as a FL native I have been in the glades a few times on airboats and almost every time have seen wildlife.

DarkJedi,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like everyone has been able to see wildlife from the airboat except right after the hurricane. Hmm. Something to consider. Thanks!

Yes, we saw alligators, birds and turtles. On the land part of the park there are crocodiles and other alligators to be seen from the pathways. There is also the 'show' with a guy who will work with 3 or 4 gators in the spectator area. You will also have an opportunity to hold a baby.

I really enjoyed this excursion, I've done it twice and would do it again.

That sounds promising! My kids would love to hold a baby alligator, too! (Or maybe not!). Thanks for your reply.

Yes! We saw tons of 'gators and beautiful birds. Well worth it if you love nature :)

FirstRodeo,

Thanks for your reply! We do love watching animals in their natural habitat so hopefully the hurricane hasn't disturbed their surroundings too much!

We went on this tour in October not long after the hurricane. We didn’t see any wildlife from the airboat. Apparently the gators relocated - don’t know if they are back now.

Herdingdogmom,

Thanks for your reply. What a bummer you didn't see any wildlife from the airboat. That is definitely something to consider!

I did the Everglades park a few years ago. We did it on our own with a rental car. But the airboat ride is a set ride so don’t think you get any more time if you do it on ur own; just more economical.

We definitely saw lots of birds and a few alligators.

Sanger727,

Having a rental car is a definite consideration and we like how it is more economical! Thanks for your reply.

• 2 months later...
FirstRodeo,

Thanks for your reply! We do love watching animals in their natural habitat so hopefully the hurricane hasn't disturbed their surroundings too much!

We will be in Miami on The Sun in May and are considering this excursion. Was it a small boat or were there so many people on it so that viewing was impossible? Thanks!

Other than the occasional bird, you probably will not see much else. Maybe a gator or two.

It is fun to ride the airboat, specially the small ones, 6 to 8 people, but don't do it for the wild life.

You will do way better going to the park's Anhinga trail walk, about 5 0 6 miles from the entrance of the park, or just go west on Tamiami Trail, us41, to the Shark Valley entrance of the park, they have a tram that takes you in a 10 mile loop, or just drive a little further west to the Tamiami Trail Everglades Visitor's center, they have a walk there with some gators.

If you do decide on the boat, go past the first three concessions, go west another ten miles or so to Osceola's Miccosukee Indian concession, less tourists and smaller boats.

If you go in the afternoon, take a raincoat with you, chances are if it get very hot, in May you will see rain.

Cheers.

We did this excursion last week and had a good time. It was a fun and easy way to get us and our luggage to FLL for a late flight. The guide was informative on the way and made the drive interesting. There were different sized airboats - the one we were on had 5 rows that we sat 6 across on. Luckily we were on the side, rather than the middle, but unfortunately it seemed like most of the 'gators were on the side we weren't on! The driver would point them out. "Gator on the left" or "gator on the right."

This was one of the worst excursus we ever did with NCL. The air boats they put you on are not the small 6-8 ones, but hold 30 plus people. The small boats were given ear protectors and we were offered toilet paper to put in our ears! They had way too few bathrooms at the location for the amount of busses that arrived, my DM and DML stood in line for over 30 minutes. Finally, the facility did not do a great job with the care of the animals they have.

We love the Everglades and were so excited to share it with the rest of our family and it just was so disappointing. Rent a car. Go to the real National Park or a small airboat provider. It will be cheaper and so much better!

We saw many alligators in the end of September after the hurricane. Remember, alligators are cold blooded animals and will hibernate when a cold front comes through. We also saw many birds and a few large iguanas in the trees. We had gators swimming within 3 feet of the boat and the guide would turn the boat around so everybody on all sides could have an equal view. Great time!

If it is cold when you are going, (pretty rarely) do not plan on seeing many alligators.

This is so helpful! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to tell me about your airboat experiences. I think we’ll just rent a car then decide what we’re going to do as we travel. Thank you very much!