NYC Departure - Flying into LGA Nov 14th

East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:13 PM.
#1
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
This will be our first time in NYC. Booked on an 11 night from Nov 15 - 26th with NCL.

Our flights are booked through points coming into LGA through Toronto on the 14th and arriving around noon. Our flight out is on the 27th at around 1pm.

I've spent the past hour reading various hotel threads, and the majority recommend staying in and around the cruise terminal. Checking pricing on the various hotels I see recommended here on the 14th, they all seem to be around $500-600/night, I'm assuming likely because of the proximity to Thanksgiving.

I'm considering grabbing a hotel near LGA since the pricing is much more reasonable (~$200/night), but would still like to do some sight-seeing. Which attractions specifically we haven't decided yet. Are there any hotels in this area that are recommended more than others or any that I should specifically avoid? I often stay at Best Westerns.

Is there an easy way into the city when staying out by the airport?
How much time should I allow in the morning to make it to the port and what would be the best method to use?
#2
Long Island, NY
7,346 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Where are you looking? I went to the official Best Western website and the price is $339 USD for nov 14. Plus an ad pops up if you book today 10% off. This is the property on East 49 Street in Manhattan. Very close to ship and walkable distance to many tourist sites. If you’re considering a non Manhattan property please ask here first. Some are in sketchy areas while others are not close to public transportation


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
Big Apple
7,815 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Concur with above post ... I see La Quinta @ W. 32nd Street near Macy's, for about $200/nite + taxes/fees - an easy & short taxi (Uber, etc.) ride to the NCL terminal (Pier 88) ~ $15 w. tips, walk to Times Square. There's no reason to book/stay near the pier, area known as Hell's Kitchen ... if you wish to be on/off Broadway, then, rates will be higher but still should not be $500 to $600 unless you are referring to CAD ??

How many in your group & beddings needed, folks here can easily recommend a few more for your weekday stay ... with 1/2 to 3/4 day-evening left for sightseeing, coming up with a short/bucket list of "must" or to-do's would assist to zoom in the choice for the hotel hunt. Hotels across the East River in Long Island City area are 1 to 4 or 5, maybe 6 subway train stops to Times Square but their rates aren't necessary cheaper - and those don't offer free airport shuttle rides - I would not recommend any, based on what I read on thus far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/28/18) Review, Pix, Dailies, MDR menus, FAQ, etc.
NCL Breakaway Semi Live 10/29-11/3/17 Halloween Storm Special Take #2 Link w. Dailies
Latest - NCL's iConcierge App, WiFi, FAQ/guides, tips/extras, etc. GSC cellular services & WiFi.
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/29/17) Pix, Dailies, MDR menu, FAQ, WiFi & Extras. CC Gem review.
NCL Breakaway - 7D Bermuda (5/22/16) Semi Live Quick Update, Pix & Extras - Link
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (3/22/15) Pix Review, FAQ & Extras
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/Bahamas (3/23/14) Sailaway (photos,) Inside/Balcony, FAQ, Dining & Review
CCL Splendor 8D E. Caribbean (9/22/13) Pix Review - *8B* Balcony 8417 & 8419 PDF Links: FunTimes, Internet & some Menus **
NCL Gem - 9D E.Caribbean Review (11/7/2012) post Hurricane Sandy NYC Dailies, Maps, & Specials.
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Bermuda 5D - May 5, 2012) Review
NCL Jewel: (Bahamas 7D - Feb. 13, 2011) Freestyle Daily schedules
NCLA Pride of America - 7D Hawaii May 2009 Review Road to Hana (video) photos (u/l from NCL Star: Mexico Rivera, March 2009 & Alaska, Sept 2009)
NCL Crown, Bermuda 2007 & 2006, NCL Dawn 2005 & 2003, NCL Sea 2001
RCCL Voyager of the Seas (Canada/NE 2004)
Premier Cruises SS Sea Breeze (1998) Prince of Fundy Cruises MS Scotia Prince (1993, 95)
#4
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
Where are you looking? I went to the official Best Western website and the price is $339 USD for nov 14. Plus an ad pops up if you book today 10% off. This is the property on East 49 Street in Manhattan. Very close to ship and walkable distance to many tourist sites. If you’re considering a non Manhattan property please ask here first. Some are in sketchy areas while others are not close to public transportation


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
The official BW website does offer much better pricing than all the popular travel sites. They have the same property at $479. Makes me wonder if I'd find the same searching all the hotel chains individually.

But at the same time I still look at that vs BW LGA that the official site has at $139. It's a significant difference in price. If I'm able to hop on a public bus or subway and head to the tourist sites that way, is it worth the price difference to stay closer?
#5
Long Island, NY
7,346 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by IronRobi
The official BW website does offer much better pricing than all the popular travel sites. They have the same property at $479. Makes me wonder if I'd find the same searching all the hotel chains individually.



But at the same time I still look at that vs BW LGA that the official site has at $139. It's a significant difference in price. If I'm able to hop on a public bus or subway and head to the tourist sites that way, is it worth the price difference to stay closer?
What’s the exact address of the one that says LaG?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#6
Boston area
20,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Don't get hung up on staying at a BW in Manhattan. mking8288 is right on the money about the LaQuinta. $180 plus tax = $210. This is a great deal and comes with free breakfast and free internet in a great Manhattan location near Herald Square (Macy's), the Empire State and multiple subway line access right at 32nd & 6th. I stayed there in Jan and would stay there again.

You have limited time in NYC. Don't waste it trying to figure out how to take a bus plus perhaps multiple subways to get yourself between a LGA hotel and Manhattan. There's not enough of a price difference between the La Quinta and the BW at LGA to justify staying in Queens.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol




#7
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
What’s the exact address of the one that says LaG?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
112-26 Roosevelt Avenue
Corona, New York 11368
#8
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by 138east
Don't get hung up on staying at a BW in Manhattan. mking8288 is right on the money about the LaQuinta. $180 plus tax = $210. This is a great deal and comes with free breakfast and free internet in a great Manhattan location near Herald Square (Macy's), the Empire State and multiple subway line access right at 32nd & 6th. I stayed there in Jan and would stay there again.

You have limited time in NYC. Don't waste it trying to figure out how to take a bus plus perhaps multiple subways to get yourself between a LGA hotel and Manhattan. There's not enough of a price difference between the La Quinta and the BW at LGA to justify staying in Queens.
I'm not specifically married to BW's, but where I travel regularly for work I stay mostly at BW's. While right at this second I don't have enough points available or my travel schedule set between now and November, I'm assuming between now and then I'll have gathered enough points to switch my reservation over to points to cover the costs. So this is why I'm leaning their direction.
#9
Boston area
20,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by IronRobi
I'm not specifically married to BW's, but where I travel regularly for work I stay mostly at BW's. While right at this second I don't have enough points available or my travel schedule set between now and November, I'm assuming between now and then I'll have gathered enough points to switch my reservation over to points to cover the costs. So this is why I'm leaning their direction.
OK - but my suggestion is to cover your "hotel bet" now by booking a refundable reservation in Manhattan at the LaQuinta. By the time you accumulate enough points for BW (usually hotels with these points programs charge a lot more points for Manhattan), there might not be any rooms available for points.

Meanwhile maybe someone can post the public transit directions from LGA( or maybe from the LGA BW) to Manhattan so you know exactly what would be involved.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol




#10
Brooklyn NY
2,506 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
That Best Western is near Flushing Medows Corna Park slightly southeast of the airport. It is smack dab right next to the elevated 7 subway line, the train will rattle right past the building literally feet away. I don't know what soundproofing they have, look at google earth street view to actually see this.
While you have access to the subway into Manhattan from the 111th street station of the 7 subway line may be a positive but a good night sleep may override that if you are not used to city noise.
I live three blocks from the subway and hear it at night when the windows are open but don't feel it like you would be right next to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sunshine 9/2016 CA
Norwegian Breakaway 9/2016 BM
Carnival Conquest 9/2015 Southern
Carnival Pride 9/2014 BS
Carnival Splendor 7/2014 CA Nope BM (Thanks Arthur)
Norwegian Gem 12/2013 Eastern
Carnival Glory 8/2013 CA
Caribbean Princess 10/2012 BM, Nope Boston (Thanks Sandy)
Norwegian Star 9/2012 BM
Carnival Glory 7/2011 CA
Norwegian Gem 5/2011 CTN
Norwegian Jewel 9/2010 FL/BS
Carnival Imagination 9/2000 Eastern
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 9/1995 Southern
#11
Big Apple
7,815 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by 138east
OK - but my suggestion is to cover your "hotel bet" now by booking a refundable reservation in Manhattan at the LaQuinta ... someone can post the public transit directions (from ... LGA BW) to Manhattan so you know exactly what would be involved.
We've stayed at LQ properties for budget travel, they are nicer than the Comfort/Quality & BW chains, closer to Hamptons & Holiday Inn/HJ Express, etc. if one is available ...

As for the BW LGA-Corona, that's directly next to/under the busy 24/7 subway train line #7's local (elevated) station stop, 2 blocks away at 111th Street. I'm pretty sure that land/hotel site used to be part of a local Queens lumber/home improvement store that burned down many years ago & was vacant for a while. On weekdays, subways are jammed pack with commuters - standing room only until after 9 to 9:30 am, if you choose to take luggage along & ride to the pier with a taxi transfer or walk that last 3/4 mile+

There is a connection to/from LGA via the local Q48 bus service (non-SBS) used by airline & airport employees underneath on Roosevelt Ave. I don't believe the station is accessible friendly so be prepared to take staircases to reach the elevated entrance & one more level to the subway platform. Being local service, ride to Times Square is usually about 45 minutes when running on time or without other service changes. Dining options in the area around the hotel are limited - a multi-cultural working class neighborhood with a strong Latino imprint (do a Google Earth view to see & scroll around) - should be fine. I cannot vouch as to whether this particular BW property might be contracted by city's Dept. of Social Services and/or Red Cross Disaster Services to provide family shelter assistance ... even newly built hotels are doing it discreetly.

Since OP has a strong preference for BW chains, I would suggest checking around for other similar BW property for points required for redemption - and, if same or lower ... the ones in Long Island City are much closer to Manhattan - also served by the #7 subway line as well as N/R/Q/F lines to/from Times Square with the cruise terminal 5 to 6 long city-blocks away.

Otherwise, car services such as Carmel or Dial 7 would be the preferred mode to get to the pier on a weekday, traffic will be heavier - expect to pay about $45 to $50 for a full-size 4 door sedan + toll + tips, and at least 1 hour for curbside-to-curbside transfer.
#12
Long Island, NY
7,346 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I can’t recommend that property in Corona in good conscience. It gets dark around 5:00 pm in November and I don’t know if tourists would be safe after dark coming home. Plus the next morning you’d have to get over to the Manhattan pier. There would be very little time for sight seeing. Maybe if there is a property in Long Island City or Astoria that could work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#13
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
I can’t recommend that property in Corona in good conscience. It gets dark around 5:00 pm in November and I don’t know if tourists would be safe after dark coming home.
This is exactly the feedback I needed to hear.

LaQuinta looks decent for the price. There's a BW a few streets over on 36th as well that I can likely book on points.

I'll take a closer look on Long Island as well. So many "areas" to NYC it's challenging to keep them all straight.
#15
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city from here?

I'm also seeing a BW property in North Bergen, NJ build in 2017 that appears close and offers a shuttle service to the city for $12 round trip. It also appears to be reasonably close to the pier according to google maps. Any advantages/disadvantages of staying over on this side?
EDIT: It appears getting from LGA to North Bergen can be a hassle because of the crossing of state lines?
#16
Boston area
20,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by IronRobi
Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city from here?

I'm also seeing a BW property in North Bergen, NJ build in 2017 that appears close and offers a shuttle service to the city for $12 round trip. It also appears to be reasonably close to the pier according to google maps. Any advantages/disadvantages of staying over on this side?
EDIT: It appears getting from LGA to North Bergen can be a hassle because of the crossing of state lines?
What hotels are you looking at in Long Island city for Nov 14? The BW is showing at $153 plus tax. The La Quinta is $180 plus tax. This would be pennywise and pound foolish. You have to pay for transportation to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port in Manhattan plus the subway cost just to get into Manhattan. By the way, you never did say what you want to see in the city. That can affect your choices as well.

You don't have much time, so IMO the cost to get to NJ plus all the extra time you will waste plus the shuttle cost puts this hotel out of the running.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol




#17
Brooklyn NY
2,506 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by IronRobi
Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city
Long Island City is one or two subway stops from Manhattan. Very easy, I work there every day on Vernon Blvd and wife works a subway stop away at Queens Plaza so let me know any questions.

Great views of the city err sorry Manhattan from Gantry Park and there is also NYC Ferry service but that isn't that close to subway stops.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sunshine 9/2016 CA
Norwegian Breakaway 9/2016 BM
Carnival Conquest 9/2015 Southern
Carnival Pride 9/2014 BS
Carnival Splendor 7/2014 CA Nope BM (Thanks Arthur)
Norwegian Gem 12/2013 Eastern
Carnival Glory 8/2013 CA
Caribbean Princess 10/2012 BM, Nope Boston (Thanks Sandy)
Norwegian Star 9/2012 BM
Carnival Glory 7/2011 CA
Norwegian Gem 5/2011 CTN
Norwegian Jewel 9/2010 FL/BS
Carnival Imagination 9/2000 Eastern
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 9/1995 Southern
#18
57 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by 138east
What hotels are you looking at in Long Island city for Nov 14? The BW is showing at $153 plus tax. The La Quinta is $180 plus tax. This would be pennywise and pound foolish. You have to pay for transportation to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port in Manhattan plus the subway cost just to get into Manhattan. By the way, you never did say what you want to see in the city. That can affect your choices as well.
I understand completely what you're saying on LaQuinta Manhattan vs BW Long Island City. And if it came down to having to pay, LaQuinta would be for sure at the top of the list. But being outside of Manhattan, the BW is a lower cost than the ones in Manhattan, which also means it requires less points to book. I can actually book both the night before and the night after the cruise with the points I have right now. So my cost at BW Long Island City is $0.

Now for the BW that's 2 or 3 streets over from LaQuinta, I'm about 30,000 points away which is probably 12-15 nights to gather. I don't know if I'll end up having the points for that property. So for staying right in Manhattan I would likely book LaQuinta. But I'm looking at $180/night vs $0/night.

Originally posted by Brighton Line
Long Island City is one or two subway stops from Manhattan. Very easy, I work there every day on Vernon Blvd and wife works a subway stop away at Queens Plaza so let me know any questions.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
Are there any transfers required or is it just hop on and hop off after a couple stops?


And as far as what we want to see, TBH we haven't even started to discuss yet. I know already my wife will want to go to Macy's. Time's square. I'd like to do the One wtc observatory but I don't know if I can handle the elevator lol.
#19
7,899 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I'm all about getting a bargain, using points when possible etc. But given the short time you'll be there, basically the afternoon/evening the day before the cruise (maybe a little time in the morning if you wait to get onboard in the afternoon) and one day post-cruise, I'm going to say it: Forget about using points to stay in Queens or Jersey or whatever. Book a hotel in midtown Manhattan, i.e. the La Quinta someone mentioned at a good rate. It will put you in the heart of where you want to be as far as maximizing sightseeing in a short period of time.

Furthermore, I think the one someone mentioned was around 34th St? I would divide your pre-cruise and post-cruise time and spend one of the days seeing from 34th St north to Central Park, for things like the park, Times Square, museums, Broadway theaters and such. Spend the other day heading south for things like 9/11 memorial and museum, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown etc. Dividing your time and planning ahead will help you avoid unnecessary time going back and forth on the subway repeatedly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Meg

Remembering 38 past cruises:
27 Royal Caribbean, 6 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 2 Oceania, 1 Princess

Anticipating 2 future cruises:
Viking Atla, 7 night Danube River, Sept 2018
Oasis of the Seas, 7 night Eastern Caribbean, Feb 2019
#20
Long Island, NY
7,346 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I would first check to see if the Long Island City property is within walking distance to the subway. If it is, and you’re comfortable using the NYC Subway, then it’s a viable option given you want to utilize your points.

That said, if you stay in Manhattan at w 34 area you can WALK almost everywhere you want to go. You’d take the subway to World Trade Center.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature