Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:12 PM.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Just wanted to give you my opinion on the Carnival Victory that I just got off of.
We got on the boat on Oct 20th for the 3 Night 4 day cruise.
This is my 8th cruise taken, this April I was able to take Celebrity cruise line.

Well all I have to say was YIKES, out of the 8 times I have cruised this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I thought service was very bad all around. Not sure if because the quick cruise or not. We felt like the staff just wanted to get you on and off as fast as they could.
Food was fair at best, buffets reminded me of a Golden Corral and the dinner menus were very poor.
Just my opinion and Im sure others had a great experience. I just expected more from Carnival.
Ottawa ON Canada
6,455 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by tampabay25690
Just wanted to give you my opinion on the Carnival Victory that I just got off of.
We got on the boat on Oct 20th for the 3 Night 4 day cruise.
This is my 8th cruise taken, this April I was able to take Celebrity cruise line.

Well all I have to say was YIKES, out of the 8 times I have cruised this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I thought service was very bad all around. Not sure if because the quick cruise or not. We felt like the staff just wanted to get you on and off as fast as they could.
Food was fair at best, buffets reminded me of a Golden Corral and the dinner menus were very poor.
Just my opinion and Im sure others had a great experience. I just expected more from Carnival.
Thanks for your opinion. I think that in comparing Carnival to Celebrity, you have to take into account that Celebrity costs more in general. It is good to know going into a Carnival cruise that you will not get a Celebrity experience. It is like comparing a banana to an orange. If this is your first Carnival experience, then you might also want to try a 7 or 8 day cruise. They tend to be a bit more relaxed than the shorter cruises. I did a 5 day on Victory last year, but did enjoy that cruise very much, and as much as my longer cruises, and noticed no difference in the crew attitude from the longer cruises. Carnival crew has always been excellent in my opinion.
Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.
Charlotte, NC
3,239 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Hmmm....last time we sailed Victory was 4-years ago. And it was a 7-night cruise out of San Juan - we thought it was very good all around. Either she's slipped or it was the short itinerary......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Connecticut
23,341 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Thanks for brief review, does not sound like Carnival is your cup of tea....happy cruising!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Celebration (1 sailing) 07/96 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Imagination (2 sailings) 07/98 (Western Carib.) 04/09 (Bahamas)
Carnival Destiny (2 sailings) 08/99 (West. Carib.) 08/03 (Southern Carib.)
Carnival Triumph (1 sailing)07/00 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Pride (5 sailings) 07/01 (Western Carib.) 07/05 (Mex. Riviera) 04/12 (Eastern Carib.)12/16 NYE cruise (Eastern Carib), 7/17 4th floor VS (Eastern Carib.)
RCCL Majesty of the Seas (1 sailing)04/02 (Bahamas)
Carnival Spirit (2 sailings) 07/04 (Alaska) 07/08 (Alaska)
Carnival Valor (1 sailing) 08/05 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Ecstasy (1 sailing) 04/06 (Cozumel, Progresso) Platinum Cruise
Carnival Liberty (4 sailings) 07/06 (Med cruise) 02/07 (Panama Canal) 07/08 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
02/07 (Panama Canal) 02/11 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Inspiration (1 sailing) 8/07 (Western Carib.)
MSC Orchestra (1 sailing) 2/09 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Splendor (3 sailings) 08/09 (Mexican Riviera) 08/13 (Eastern out of NYC) Milestone Cruise 08/14 (Eastern out of NYC)

Carnival Dream (1 sailing) 8/10 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Magic (2 sailings) 02/12 (Western Carib.) 02/15 (western Carib.)
Carnival Victory (1 sailing) 08/12 (Southern Carib.)
Carnival Legend (1 sailing) 02/13 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Breeze (3 sailings) 04/13 (8 day Eastern Carib.) 12/14 6 day Western NYE cruise 04/15 6 day western Carib. Diamond Cruise
RCCL Oasis of the Seas (1 sailing) 03/14 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Sunshine (2 sailings) 08/15 (8 day Southern Caribbean) 02/16 (8 day exotic eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Vista (2 sailings) 07/16 (8 day western Med cruise) 04/17 (8 day exotic eastern Caribbean)

Upcoming Cruises:

Carnival Horizon 7/18 (8 day eastern out of NYC)
Azamara Quest 8/17 (1 sailing 8 day Rome to Venice)
Carnival Breeze 11/18 (13 day Journey cruise Eastern Carib)
Virginia
408 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Our first cruise on Carnival was on the Destiny for 7 days. We loved it! We have done only 7+ day cruises since then with the exception of one cruise.
We sailed Destiny again on a 5 day cruise, and it was a completely different atmosphere. More partying, more loud groups "taking over" certain venues, etc...
I think this happens more on a lot of shorter cruises based on what I've read. I would recommend 7 or more days, and you will probably notice a difference. We love Carnival's newer ships and the 7 day itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is optional!!!" - author unknown

Niagara, Ontario, Canada
3,960 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Surely you paid more for your Celebrity cruise. There are reasons for that.

Service, however, should be good all around - regardless of the cruiseline, or length of cruise. Sorry to hear you found it lacking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Carnival Victory - Jan '17 (7.5/10). Key West & Cozumel Quickie
Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas - Mar '16 (8/10). 6 Day Western with Labadee!

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '15 (9/10) - Nice Eastern route with Labadee!
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: [email protected]
Chicago Suburb
927 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
We (age 74 and 70) will be taking our first Carnival cruise in January. It is a four (4) day, but weekdays rather than a weekend. We are going with our children and grandchildren and we needed something in our price range. We are not expecting an Oceania-like experience; hopefully we are going without any expectations. We did book a balcony so if the masses get too overwhelming we can retreat, hopefully, to our private outdoor space.

Okay, now to my question - Is there a specialty steakhouse on the Victory? We are hoping to have a double birthday celebration while on board and a steakhouse dinner would be perfect. We don't mind paying for such an extra.

Thanks for your help.
Charlotte, NC
3,239 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by socialworker
We (age 74 and 70) will be taking our first Carnival cruise in January. It is a four (4) day, but weekdays rather than a weekend. We are going with our children and grandchildren and we needed something in our price range. We are not expecting an Oceania-like experience; hopefully we are going without any expectations. We did book a balcony so if the masses get too overwhelming we can retreat, hopefully, to our private outdoor space.

Okay, now to my question - Is there a specialty steakhouse on the Victory? We are hoping to have a double birthday celebration while on board and a steakhouse dinner would be perfect. We don't mind paying for such an extra.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry - no steakhouse. And no Guy's burger joint, either
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Atlanta, GA
2,481 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
We were generally pleased with our cruise on Victory a while back, but I DO have to say that the ship is sorely lacking in specialty eateries, either complimentary or fee-added.
Back then the ship was also in need of cosmetic work, but I think that's been remedied in the years since our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman! My Cruise Critic Review
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.My Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by SMSACE6
Thanks for your opinion. I think that in comparing Carnival to Celebrity, you have to take into account that Celebrity costs more in general. It is good to know going into a Carnival cruise that you will not get a Celebrity experience. It is like comparing a banana to an orange. If this is your first Carnival experience, then you might also want to try a 7 or 8 day cruise. They tend to be a bit more relaxed than the shorter cruises. I did a 5 day on Victory last year, but did enjoy that cruise very much, and as much as my longer cruises, and noticed no difference in the crew attitude from the longer cruises. Carnival crew has always been excellent in my opinion.
Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.

Not comparing Celebrity to Carnival at all that's like comparing a Cadillac to a Malibu. This is my 4th Carnival cruise. Just thought food and service was very poor compared to what I experienced in the past.
I enjoyed but I got what I paid for I guess.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Herfnerd
Hmmm....last time we sailed Victory was 4-years ago. And it was a 7-night cruise out of San Juan - we thought it was very good all around. Either she's slipped or it was the short itinerary......
I took Victory out of San Juan as well.
Overall it was a good cruise.
Think its the short ones that the effort isn't as great as a 7 day.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by jimbo5544
Thanks for brief review, does not sound like Carnival is your cup of tea....happy cruising!
This is my 4th Carnival.
Just expect service when you go on a cruise.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by cruisinpips
Our first cruise on Carnival was on the Destiny for 7 days. We loved it! We have done only 7+ day cruises since then with the exception of one cruise.
We sailed Destiny again on a 5 day cruise, and it was a completely different atmosphere. More partying, more loud groups "taking over" certain venues, etc...
I think this happens more on a lot of shorter cruises based on what I've read. I would recommend 7 or more days, and you will probably notice a difference. We love Carnival's newer ships and the 7 day itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I agree been on 7 days with Carnival before and it was great. 1st time I ever took a 3 night and was totally different the way you are treated and food quality.
I do want to take a newer ship...
Thanks for advice
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Toddcan
Surely you paid more for your Celebrity cruise. There are reasons for that.

Service, however, should be good all around - regardless of the cruiseline, or length of cruise. Sorry to hear you found it lacking.
Believe it or not cost for celebrity was not bad at all.
Included a lot but was a 7 nite out of San Juan. Included, bar package, grats, and $250 credit...
But overall paid about $1000.00 more...

yes you are right service should be there no matter what cruise you take.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by socialworker

Thanks for your help.
No steakhouse on ship but you can UPGRADE at dinner for a higher quality food for an additional $20.00
Surf and Turf
NY Strip
Lobster Tail

I did twice add a 8 oz Tail to my dinner because of menu.
Hope that helps...
Enjoy
Good cruise to take the grand children, get chairs near the slide and they will be thrilled.
Connecticut
23,341 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I agree been on 7 days with Carnival before and it was great. 1st time I ever took a 3 night and was totally different the way you are treated and food quality.

I do want to take a newer ship...

Thanks for advice

While most of our cruises are 6 days or longer, that said, I cannot say I noticed and difference in the service or the food in shorter cruises, but that's just me, YOMV
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Celebration (1 sailing) 07/96 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Imagination (2 sailings) 07/98 (Western Carib.) 04/09 (Bahamas)
Carnival Destiny (2 sailings) 08/99 (West. Carib.) 08/03 (Southern Carib.)
Carnival Triumph (1 sailing)07/00 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Pride (5 sailings) 07/01 (Western Carib.) 07/05 (Mex. Riviera) 04/12 (Eastern Carib.)12/16 NYE cruise (Eastern Carib), 7/17 4th floor VS (Eastern Carib.)
RCCL Majesty of the Seas (1 sailing)04/02 (Bahamas)
Carnival Spirit (2 sailings) 07/04 (Alaska) 07/08 (Alaska)
Carnival Valor (1 sailing) 08/05 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Ecstasy (1 sailing) 04/06 (Cozumel, Progresso) Platinum Cruise
Carnival Liberty (4 sailings) 07/06 (Med cruise) 02/07 (Panama Canal) 07/08 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
02/07 (Panama Canal) 02/11 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Inspiration (1 sailing) 8/07 (Western Carib.)
MSC Orchestra (1 sailing) 2/09 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Splendor (3 sailings) 08/09 (Mexican Riviera) 08/13 (Eastern out of NYC) Milestone Cruise 08/14 (Eastern out of NYC)

Carnival Dream (1 sailing) 8/10 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Magic (2 sailings) 02/12 (Western Carib.) 02/15 (western Carib.)
Carnival Victory (1 sailing) 08/12 (Southern Carib.)
Carnival Legend (1 sailing) 02/13 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Breeze (3 sailings) 04/13 (8 day Eastern Carib.) 12/14 6 day Western NYE cruise 04/15 6 day western Carib. Diamond Cruise
RCCL Oasis of the Seas (1 sailing) 03/14 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Sunshine (2 sailings) 08/15 (8 day Southern Caribbean) 02/16 (8 day exotic eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Vista (2 sailings) 07/16 (8 day western Med cruise) 04/17 (8 day exotic eastern Caribbean)

Upcoming Cruises:

Carnival Horizon 7/18 (8 day eastern out of NYC)
Azamara Quest 8/17 (1 sailing 8 day Rome to Venice)
Carnival Breeze 11/18 (13 day Journey cruise Eastern Carib)
Ottawa ON Canada
6,455 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Not comparing Celebrity to Carnival at all that's like comparing a Cadillac to a Malibu. This is my 4th Carnival cruise. Just thought food and service was very poor compared to what I experienced in the past.
I enjoyed but I got what I paid for I guess.
well then I would say things were not up to scratch. In fact I will say that my most recent cruise on Splendor, a 6 day, was not quite as good as what I have been used to in the past (7 prior Carnival cruises). Mine was not at all a bad cruise, just several minor things, that added up to make my cruise less than fully enjoyed. So, yes of course things can be not up to scratch at times. Now, knowing that you had previously experienced Carnival vs Celebrity, I can better appreciate your review. Sorry, did not mean to come off sounding patronising. I have been on one Celebrity cruise and it was in many ways wayyyyy wayyyy tops over Carnival, but it also costed mucho more bucks at the time. Have not been able to afford them since, since I now cruise solo mostly. Thanks again for your review.
Buffalo, NY
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by SMSACE6
well then I would say things were not up to scratch. In fact I will say that my most recent cruise on Splendor, a 6 day, was not quite as good as what I have been used to in the past (7 prior Carnival cruises). Mine was not at all a bad cruise, just several minor things, that added up to make my cruise less than fully enjoyed. So, yes of course things can be not up to scratch at times. Now, knowing that you had previously experienced Carnival vs Celebrity, I can better appreciate your review. Sorry, did not mean to come off sounding patronising. I have been on one Celebrity cruise and it was in many ways wayyyyy wayyyy tops over Carnival, but it also costed mucho more bucks at the time. Have not been able to afford them since, since I now cruise solo mostly. Thanks again for your review.
Yea it happens.
I will take Carnival again, just wasn't up to expectations at all.
But this is the very 1st time we ever took a 3 Night cruise.
I think the Newer ships is the way to go for us.
Yea Celebrity is not even in same class, I like all cruises to be honest they all bring different things to the table.

To me in Service 101 just be polite, or even smile to the customer and they will take care of you in return.