Fly in Fll Cruise Out of Miami, Hotel in Miami Transportation tips please

We have done many cruises and for the last several have always cabbed from the airport to the cruise terminals. We have discovered this time that flying into FLL, staying at the Best Western Plus in Miami overnight and then cruising out of the Miami cruise port has some problems.

1. Transportation from FLL to the Best Western Plus is pricey. (We are looking into cab alternatives (we have no smart phones so Uber may not work))

2. Transportation from the Miami cruise dock back to FLL may also be problematical.

I would appreciate any tips. From what I have learned so far, if we want to pre book transportation we need to do it soon.

If you look down the board, this is discussed very regularly. There are about half a dozen shuttle companies recommended, names like SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, GO Shuttle. Other than Uber/Lyft, these will be the cheapest. It is also frequently discussed here that the later in the day, the more expensive and less available shuttles are. Thus it is frequently suggested to stay in Ft Lauderdale.

Taxi is going to be the most expensive option to get from FLL to Miami. Taxi to a Ft Lauderdale hotel, then shuttle the next day to PortMiami is more commonly recommended.

Uber/Lyft would be by far the best route, especially if your group is smaller.

However, if that is not possible you might find a taxi that can accommodate 4-5 people might be the cheapest route. It all depends on how large your group is.

Where is the Best Western you are staying at? If it is not close to the port, in Downtown Miami/Brickell area or at least in Miami Beach I see no reason why you should go down there instead of staying near FLL and then taking a shuttle/taxi down the next day.

Or cancel your Miami hotel, stay in the FLL area, and transport it easy. ;) www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

The later in the day you arrive, the fewer shuttle options you will find, and the steeper the prices. Many will not service hotels our near the MIA airport - I think that is the area for your BW? :confused:

Mini-van taxis and UberXL will handle up to 5 passengers plus normal bags and the fares will be about the same from FLL to Miami -- figure $75+

This is what we are doing for this coming August

Flight arrives at FLL - Staying at a hotel close to FLL for the night - renting intermediate size car pick up at FLL drop off in MIA ($47) / Alamo has a shuttle that goes from the MIA airport to the Cruise port.

From Miami Cruise port to FLL airport - Shuttle ($52 for 4 people)

Not sure what cruise line you're sailing - but - Carnival offers transportation from the Miami Port to Fort Lauderdale Airport - It's like a little over $30 per person I think - we arranged this a few years ago for my daughter's honeymoon cruise - and it was really convenient!

Flight arrives at FLL - Staying at a hotel close to FLL for the night - renting intermediate size car pick up at FLL drop off in MIA ($47) / Alamo has a shuttle that goes from the MIA airport to the Cruise port.

For that amount of money you could just take an Uber straight to your destinations.

I have considered the costs and what I want to achieve during our brief stay after flying into FLL. Here is what I have planned so far........

uber from FLL airport to FLL hotel. 1st. overnight there. Next morning, about check-out time, collect a rental car from Budget in town.

Pick-Up LocationDrop-Off LocationFt Lauderdale

1617 Se 17th Street

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, US

Ph: 954-761-9192

08:00 AM - 06:00 PM

Miami Intl Airport

3900 Nw 25th Street, Suite 403

Miami, FL 33142, US

Ph: 305-876-1820

24 Hours

Use this car for luggage transport (of course) and also to visit Costco-looking for last minute things, and also to check out our favorite store. Also, possible a Total Wine, or other wine shop, and lastly to take us to a restaurant for lunch which is located a bit further out. $72 for full size rental car, which will be dropped off at the airport early after getting our luggage, etc.. to the hotel in Miami. 2nd overnight. I doubt we would even use $10 of fuel, but not more than $20.

No parking fees, and no waiting for taxis, et al. If our Miami hotel had free parking, we would keep the car and use it to get to the terminal the following morning with one of us having to drive to the airport and uber back. We are staying at the Renaissance Marriott, but the Hilton Marina is just down the street while in FLL. Actually, there a few hotel in the direct area.

Hope this helps and perhaps inspire you to continue your perfect pre-cruise stay.

Not sure what cruise line you're sailing - but - Carnival offers transportation from the Miami Port to Fort Lauderdale Airport - It's like a little over $30 per person I think - we arranged this a few years ago for my daughter's honeymoon cruise - and it was really convenient!

Convenient, yes -- a good value, no. :( Shared shuttles (QLS, SAS, etc.) will pick up at your hotel or FLL and only charge $15 per person each way.

Sure but not my preference. Uber's rate is $44 for Uberx and $72 for Uberxl

This is exactly what i figured, about having to pay the UberXL due to having four suitcases plus hand-luggage. This is really good to know about the Alamo shuttle that will get you to the cruiseport, etc. I am going to look at some tweaking of my plan.......

We are doing this also. Spielbank, do you know if they need to fill the vehicle up or would they do only 2 people? I don't want to spend the whole afternoon stopping at hotel after hotel.

I think they need several passengers before they leave. When I spoke to Jeff, he said no more than a 15 minute wait or they leave with the passengers on board.

Convenient, yes -- a good value, no. :( Shared shuttles (QLS, SAS, etc.) will pick up at your hotel or FLL and only charge $15 per person each way.

Thank you for letting me know that - I never did any further research - I'll know next time!!