Teppanyaki on Horizon

kristy29

Wondering of anyone has done it yet. Good, bad? Also is there a menu posted anywhere? Since it's not a set price, I want to know what I'm looking at. I want to go for my actual birthday while on mg cruise.

Someone posted a video of an entire dinner there on YouTube. The chef they had seemed very unenthusiastic and wasn't doing many tricks. A bad chef can ruin that kind of meal, hopefully the chefs have gotten better on the Horizon.

Wondering of anyone has done it yet. Good, bad? Also is there a menu posted anywhere? Since it's not a set price, I want to know what I'm looking at. I want to go for my actual birthday while on mg cruise.

We did it on our 7/3 sailing, I will be giving a fairly detailed review of it. It cost us $73 for two including a beer for me and tip. It was fine, the chef was animated, the food good, but all that said, I do not think we would do it again. The entree’s were between $25 to $35.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did it on our 7/3 sailing, I will be giving a fairly detailed review of it. It cost us $73 for two including a beer for me and tip. It was fine, the chef was animated, the food good, but all that said, I do not think we would do it again. The entree’s were between $25 to $35.

I am following your review so I'll be looking for that.

Is there another specialty restaurant you would recommend more for a birthday?

I am following your review so I'll be looking for that.

Is there another specialty restaurant you would recommend more for a birthday?

Steakhouse, for a little more, a great meal. More on that on my review as well. Tepanyaki was good and enjoyable just a little over priced from my perspective.

Jimbo, what is your opinion on the steakhouse - would you be a repeat customer there, but not teppanyaki? We're booked in the teppanyaki for 8/31. What did you order and did anything else look better once you saw it?

Thanks.

JtotheV

Jimbo, what is your opinion on the steakhouse - would you be a repeat customer there, but not teppanyaki? We're booked in the teppanyaki for 8/31. What did you order and did anything else look better once you saw it?

Thanks.

JtotheV

I am a big fan of the Steakhouse so that is not a fair comparison. We go to the Steakhouse at least once a cruise. There were some changes there as well. In terms of entree, I always get the same thing, dry spice rubbed ribeye. We enjoyed tepanyaki, just not ob the same par as the Steakhouse. More on the Steakhouse coming as well (in my review).

You are starting to sound like my wife when it comes to anything Asian or Mexican.

Even Sandals, where there is no up charge, the food was our least favorite of the 6 dinner houses. The Chef was awesome and he made the night for all at the table. The other fun part of the Teppanyaki experience is engaging with the other guests at the table. All that being said the homemade fried rice was excellent.

I have done the teppanyaki, but it was hard to get a reservation. I've put my name on a waiting list when I was on-board. I got lucky and got a call in my cabin while I was there, and we've got a 7:15PM reservation for 4.

I was good, but I prefer my hometown teppanyaki restaurant.

Here is a picture of the bento dessert box :

Bento_Box.jpg

I can’t comment on the teppanyaki but can say that JiJis is not to be missed. It’s not really a meal that can be duplicated at home like the other. So many different options from all over Asia. I think the wide noodles are to live for!!!

We tried it in April. I made the reservation for my Birthday as soon it was available to request. We showed up and they didn’t have the reservation. I had the email showing it was confirmed. After waiting around for about 15 minutes they sat us. Not sure if another couple didn’t show or what.

Food was pretty good. There were some things we don’t typically get at home at the restaurant we go to. I like medium rare steak so I enjoy pink but my steak was given to me rare. It was still cold. The chef put it back on the grill for me and it was perfect after. For my Birthday the dessert box had a happy Birthday chocolate on it. 79edeecdba9d0941de566b9e901d1561.jpg

The Chef was awesome and he made the night for all at the table. The other fun part of the Teppanyaki experience is engaging with the other guests at the table. All that being said the homemade fried rice was excellent.

Thanks for posting all three comments. Here in DC, our favorite teppanyaki grill makes fried rice that is SO MUCH BETTER than Chinese restaurants and I will be looking forward to it!

This is helpful! Will you please post details?

While the food was great at both restaurants I can get hibachi style food at many locations near my house the J.J.s is something I can’t get locally and it was the best bang for the buck and was very very good!! That’s just my opinion

Did Teppanyaki and thought it was worth doing - once. Don't know if I'll go again. The beef was excellent. I think it was a little overpriced and much prefer JiJi or the Steakhouse. Probably even Cucina.

Agree on all fronts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We found the tepanyaki to be our least liked vs. the Steakhouse and JiJi's. (Memorial Day cruise from NYC)

The chef was new and missed a few beats in his presentation, and the food was presented with a long delay from the rice to the protein that the rice was cold by the time the steak & shrimp were cooked. We've had much better presentations in land hibachi restaurants.

As far as cost, we thought it was overpriced, that JiJi's was less and so much better. Also, it's like eating in a fish bowl, where passersby stand at the windows behind you and gawk.

We found the tepanyaki to be our least liked vs. the Steakhouse and JiJi's. (Memorial Day cruise from NYC)

The chef was new and missed a few beats in his presentation, and the food was presented with a long delay from the rice to the protein that the rice was cold by the time the steak & shrimp were cooked. We've had much better presentations in land hibachi restaurants.

As far as cost, we thought it was overpriced, that JiJi's was less and so much better. Also, it's like eating in a fish bowl, where passersby stand at the windows behind you and gawk.

Our chef mentioned he had come over from Royal a short time ago, maybe it was the same one. Not only was it a fish tank, whenever anyone walked by close enough, the glass door towards the main hall way would open and close. I kept spinning around to see who was coming in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums