How much more would you pay for a balcony vs an ocean view?

molole

Does anyone else have a rule of thumb of pricing?

I generally go by that for a 7 night Caribbean cruise during regular season (excluding summer or holidays) I am willing to pay $100/pp per night for an ocean view and $100/pp (about $14/pp per night) extra for a balcony.

P.S. I used to be able to find balcony prices under $100/pp per night but now a balcony seems to hover around $150/pp per night level unless I catch a last minute guarantee deal.

What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone else have a rule of thumb of pricing?

I generally go by that for a 7 night Caribbean cruise during regular season (excluding summer or holidays) I am willing to pay $100/pp per night for an ocean view and $100/pp (about $14/pp per night) extra for a balcony.

P.S. I used to be able to find balcony prices under $100/pp per night but now a balcony seems to hover around $150/pp per night level unless I catch a last minute guarantee deal.

What am I doing wrong?

Those of us who sail solo have to pay 200% to have our verandah.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. Pricing is a supply and demand game. When the economy is stronger, like it current is, demand is going to be higher. The more flexible you are on an itinerary, you might find better deals on cruises with less demand. These probably aren't the best days to expect them to be giving stuff away.

For me, it has to be a crazy discount to consider it. The balcony view is very low on my list of vacation priorities. Frequency of vacations and activities make more sense for me.

Those of us who sail solo have to pay 200% to have our verandah.

I go solo sometimes too since (thank the good lord) my work schedule is very flexible and I can work remotely easily but hubby isn’t that lucky.

NCL has good last minute solo rates. Not sure about HAL. The thing is I am not all that crazy about NCL’s glitzy new ships. They are about the least interesting among new ships imho.

Talk about new ships I hope Carnival will let HAL continue with small to mid sized ships and let Princess have large ships. A nice way to differentiate their target market too.

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. Pricing is a supply and demand game. When the economy is stronger, like it current is, demand is going to be higher. The more flexible you are on an itinerary, you might find better deals on cruises with less demand. These probably aren't the best days to expect them to be giving stuff away.

For me, it has to be a crazy discount to consider it. The balcony view is very low on my list of vacation priorities. Frequency of vacations and activities make more sense for me.

I thought about that too. That’s probably it. Cursing the good economy. Lol. ;p

I have a balcony and above most of the time but only once (it was my first cruise) had I experienced that magical feeling of sitting on my balcony at sea.

After that I tried ocean view a few times and balcony and above other times and they didn’t seem all that different.

DW & I look at the cost per night and if there is little difference we will take the balcony. It also depends on the itinerary. If sailing in Alaska, a balcony is a must. If sailing to ports we have been many times before, an ocean view does just fine for us. We did 2 sailings on different ships a couple of years ago and had balcony on both. It was well worth it to us because first sailing was around Hawaii and second was Alaska. We got good deals on both.

Ocean views are fine because you can still see out and they let some sun in.

DW & I look at the cost per night and if there is little difference we will take the balcony. It also depends on the itinerary. If sailing in Alaska, a balcony is a must. If sailing to ports we have been many times before, an ocean view does just fine for us. We did 2 sailings on different ships a couple of years ago and had balcony on both. It was well worth it to us because first sailing was around Hawaii and second was Alaska. We got good deals on both.

Ocean views are fine because you can still see out and they let some sun in.

I am looking at a 10-night Caribbean sailing. It will take $400 total ($20 pp per night) to upgrade from obstructed ocean view to balcony. Both rooms are in quiet and convenient locations, just different decks.

Decision! ;p

Sitting in that balcony and relaxing and listening to the ocean or reading a book are part of my vacation experience. If I don't like the balcony price, I don't buy. JMHO

Exactly! We only do balconies. Sure, some people can't justify the extra cost. But like everything else, value means different things to different people. I know people who would never spend the money for a cruise, preferring to spend less money to rent a motor home and drive around the country instead. We all have our minimums that we will accept, and for is it's having the luxury of a balcony for the view, fresh air, and to relax on. Sometimes, enjoyment of that balcony is more important than the ports being visited.

Rather than doing more cruises in staterooms we won't enjoy, we prefer to go on fewer where we can enjoy what we consider a key feature of a cruise - 24/7 views of the ocean and access to the sounds and fresh air that close proximity to the ocean provides.

Going on a cruise without a balcony to save money is like going to the theater and buying the cheapest seats in a corner or behind an obstruction, or going to a fine dining upscale restaurant and ordering the cheapest thing on the menu to save money.

Exactly! We only do balconies. Sure, some people can't justify the extra cost. But like everything else, value means different things to different people. I know people who would never spend the money for a cruise, preferring to spend less money to rent a motor home and drive around the country instead. We all have our minimums that we will accept, and for is it's having the luxury of a balcony for the view, fresh air, and to relax on. Sometimes, enjoyment of that balcony is more important than the ports being visited.

Rather than doing more cruises in staterooms we won't enjoy, we prefer to go on fewer where we can enjoy what we consider a key feature of a cruise - 24/7 views of the ocean and access to the sounds and fresh air that close proximity to the ocean provides.

Going on a cruise without a balcony to save money is like going to the theater and buying the cheapest seats in a corner or behind an obstruction, or going to a fine dining upscale restaurant and ordering the cheapest thing on the menu to save money.

Excellent post, and reflects my sentiments exactly.

Hi

I would only opt for a balcony vs. OV only if it was approaching $0.00 more. It's only worth paying more if you are likely to spend some time out there.

From my past experience, it is hardly used. Maybe an hour over a week.

Of course if you like sitting out there for hours at a time, then the extra expense might seem reasonable.

It's sort of like asking if Cheers is worth it, or a Spa cabin. Only worth it if you are going to use it. Aren't we lucky, they have cabins that stay dark, some with windows, and some that are large. :) Something to fit every budget. You can't go wrong with cruising.

We haven't sailed without a balcony since balconies became the norm, so I don't know how to answer this. We try to find balconies at $100pp or less. This is becoming more difficult but can still be done with some luck, flexibility and research.

I'd only consider an OV if it was some bucket list cruise where the balcony was so much more expensive that we probably couldn't go otherwise.

We love our balcony for the light, for sailing into and out of ports and I use it for reading. It would be nice if they had decent chairs/lounges out there like they used to though!

As long as you recognize that what matters so much to you may matter little to others.

I've little use for a balcony, and really wouldn't pay anything extra for one. I travel for the itinerary and while I enjoy being on board a ship, I've never had a problem -- in fact I prefer -- finding a public area where I can read, watch the ocean, or whatever.

As long as you recognize that what matters so much to you may matter little to others.

And if you read my post more carefully, you will see that I do agree with you: "But like everything else, value means different things to different people."

No need to educate me on what I have already acknowledged. ;)

I've little use for a balcony, and really wouldn't pay anything extra for one. I travel for the itinerary and while I enjoy being on board a ship, I've never had a problem -- in fact I prefer -- finding a public area where I can read, watch the ocean, or whatever.

And I prefer private areas that are quiet and with no one else around, where I am not interfering with other's enjoyment of their cruise by taking two chairs and snoring during my naps. :D

Thankfully, we can both find our perfect spots.

I am looking at a 10-night Caribbean sailing. It will take $400 total ($20 pp per night) to upgrade from obstructed ocean view to balcony. Both rooms are in quiet and convenient locations, just different decks.

Decision! ;p

Only you know if it will strain f budget and how much you care about having a verandah. I like Ican get frfesh aifr ingo ghe cabin jusg when i enter and exit the balcony, ffesh air enters the c cabin,,,,, don't leave the door open for long.

Keep in mind you may like it so much you will always wanr a verndah for future cruises.

I am looking at a 10-night Caribbean sailing. It will take $400 total ($20 pp per night) to upgrade from obstructed ocean view to balcony. Both rooms are in quiet and convenient locations, just different decks. Decision! ;p
Only you know if it will strain budget and how much you care aboug having a verandah. I lik i can get fresh aifr into the cabin just when i enter and exit the balcony, ffesh air enters the c cabin,,,,, don't leave the door open for long. Keep in mind you may like it somuch you will always want a verndah for future cruises.

For us we don't have to decide between balcony/OC/inside, as our preferred cruise line is all balconies. However, we will book a balcony, or higher, if they have a vacant cabin in a location we want and on an itinerary that interests us. If it is with our budget, we will book it.

Don't actually compare the different costs of the various categories.