Does it make sense to stay at Boston Hotel near Airport?

cidymom

I'm planning a cruise out of Boston in mid-August. I was checking the prices of hotels near the Boston cruise port or downtown area and it is so expensive. I plan to stay in Boston for 2 nights before the cruise to explore the city. I need a room with kitchen/kitchenette. The only ones I found at reasonable prices are near the airport (Embassy Suites & Residence Inn by Marriott Back Bay/Fenway). I understand there is a train or subway that is near these two hotels which would get me close to the tourist attractions and HO HO bus. Does this plan seem reasonable? Any other ideas? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

I'm planning a cruise out of Boston in mid-August. I was checking the prices of hotels near the Boston cruise port or downtown area and it is so expensive. I plan to stay in Boston for 2 nights before the cruise to explore the city. I need a room with kitchen/kitchenette. The only ones I found at reasonable prices are near the airport (Embassy Suites & Residence Inn by Marriott Back Bay/Fenway). I understand there is a train or subway that is near these two hotels which would get me close to the tourist attractions and HO HO bus. Does this plan seem reasonable? Any other ideas? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

What are your exact dates? Do you just need a microwave and refrigerator?

If you want convenience, I would stay at Embassy Suites. They are right near Logan in East Boston and have an airport shuttle. They are also close to the Blue Line Subway and only one stop from "Aquarium", which is at the East End of the Faneuil Hall area. You will also be a quick taxi ride to the port or could get there for free by hotel shuttle back to an airport terminal and the free Silver Line from the Airport transferring at World Trade Center for Black Falcon Avenue.

Residence Inn in Back Bay is near Fenway Park. Post your dates so we can check if the Red Sox are playing at home. Overall this is a less convenient area and you will pay more significant transportation charges to get to the hotel from the airport and from the hotel to the pier.

138 is right. There are 2 hotels on Logan Airport property (Hyatt and Hilton) and the Embassy Suites is walkable from airport property (rental car depot). There are also 3 other close to the airport hotels with good shuttles (Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott and Hampton Inn).

Everything else is further away, including anything else that says "Logan" in their name. Many of them are 15-30 minutes or more away from the airport in questionable neighborhoods.

The Fenway Residence Inn is fine, but like 138 said, nowhere near the airport.

There are quite a few hotels in the cruiseport area that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet, that you should consider. Westin, Aloft, Element, Yotel, Renaissance, Seaport, Envoy and more.

Thanks for your replies. My dates are August 15 to 18, 2018. The cruise is August 18th so I will have 2 full days in Boston. I need at least a fridge and microwave. I've checked all those hotels mentioned above but they either don't have the fridge and microwave or over USD$400 a night. I'm Canadian so with the exchange rate it is quite a bit to pay. I thought New York was expensive but Boston is even more but unfortunately NYC doesn't have a cruise sailing out of there to the ports I'm interested in. Thanks again.

The Red Sox have home games on August 17 & 18, so the Fenway Park area will be crazy at certain times on those days.

Did you look at the LaQuinta in Somerville? Larger queen rooms have a fridge and microwave and the price is MUCH less for your dates and reviews are good. Bus is nearby and Orange Line is .4 miles from hotel. You could Uber to and from the subway.

Thanks for your replies. My dates are August 15 to 18, 2018. The cruise is August 18th so I will have 2 full days in Boston. I need at least a fridge and microwave. I've checked all those hotels mentioned above but they either don't have the fridge and microwave or over USD$400 a night. I'm Canadian so with the exchange rate it is quite a bit to pay. I thought New York was expensive but Boston is even more but unfortunately NYC doesn't have a cruise sailing out of there to the ports I'm interested in. Thanks again.
If you'll consider an "alternative" lodging I have a suggestion for you... The Boston Youth Hostel is amazing, and it's right downtown in the theater district (about a 6 block walk from South Station.) The rate includes a continental breakfast. There is a huge industrial, top of the line (shared) kitchen at your access. There are occasional evening socials. There are a few private, en suite rooms, which are quite nice. And, if price is really an issue, you can book a bed in one of the dorm rooms for only $60 a night. The private rooms go for $200-210 in August (they go fast!) The name "youth" hostel is a bit of a misnomer. Any age can stay (I've been there a few times and am over 65). Honestly, I was very impressed with the facility. I used to manage a youth hostel in the 70s, and this is night and day from the old days.

Take a look: BostonHostel.org

Phil

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

Is the area near Boston TD Gardens ideal for sightseeing and not too far from cruise port? I'm now narrowing in on neighbourhoods. The Seaport and Waterfront area hotels are expensive so I'm looking a little further out. Thanks for your help.

Is the area near Boston TD Gardens ideal for sightseeing and not too far from cruise port? I'm now narrowing in on neighbourhoods. The Seaport and Waterfront area hotels are expensive so I'm looking a little further out. Thanks for your help.

The Boston Garden area would be fine.

You also might want to look at apartments in the Seaport area on a site like booking.com.

If you find a property that appeals, post back with the name and exact address so that folks can comment. A specific address is particularly important if you find an apartment rental.

I found a hotel "Hampton Inn & Suites Crosstown Center", 811 Massachusetts, which has a kitchenette and airport shuttle. It's apparently close to the Boston Medical Center. Is the location far from the city center where the tourist attractions are? Thanks for all your help.

I found a hotel "Hampton Inn & Suites Crosstown Center", 811 Massachusetts, which has a kitchenette and airport shuttle. It's apparently close to the Boston Medical Center. Is the location far from the city center where the tourist attractions are? Thanks for all your help.

This hotel is not well located - it is .8 miles to the T (Orange Line - Mass Ave or Red Line - Andrews) in a very questionable area. Boston City Hospital and a police station are nearby. I don't consider it to be convenient to the city center. I'd stay at Embassy Suites or Residence Inn and would never consider this hotel location.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60745-d320038-r118419548-Hampton_Inn_Suites_Boston_Crosstown_Center-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Have you considered looking at Airbnb or Vrbo properties? You really want a kitchen and that could be the most cost effective way to get one. I would be looking at the Seaport area because it is convenient to the airport, convenient to the cruise terminal, it's the most recently developed area in downtown Boston (properties are renovated or new), and it's safe.

Have you looked at Hotwire ? In November we stayed in the waterfront for$ 148(that was with tax and fees). The 3 star in that area most likely is the Aloft or Element .Both are new and nice. They are located within walking distance to the Convention Center .

Have you looked at Hotwire ? In November we stayed in the waterfront for$ 148(that was with tax and fees). The 3 star in that area most likely is the Aloft or Element .Both are new and nice. They are located within walking distance to the Convention Center .

I like Hotwire a lot for Boston (and recommend it all the time, particularly for the Seaport area), but this OP requires a refrigerator and microwave, which as it turns out, are not available in the vast majority of Boston hotels.

You guys have given me a lot of different options to look at. I've never booked through Hotwire before but I just checked. There are two expensive hotels that have kitchenettes - Element Boston Seaport & Residence Inn by Marriot Downtown/Seaport. Are these hotels part of Hotwire that you can choose? If so, what criterias would I be looking for so that I pick the right hotel because they don't give you the hotel name and it's like a guessing game but the prices look good! I've never booked a vacation rental before and feel a bit uncomfortable and a lot are just as expensive as hotels. Any advice appreciated. Thanks all.

You guys have given me a lot of different options to look at. I've never booked through Hotwire before but I just checked. There are two expensive hotels that have kitchenettes - Element Boston Seaport & Residence Inn by Marriot Downtown/Seaport. Are these hotels part of Hotwire that you can choose? If so, what criterias would I be looking for so that I pick the right hotel because they don't give you the hotel name and it's like a guessing game but the prices look good! I've never booked a vacation rental before and feel a bit uncomfortable and a lot are just as expensive as hotels. Any advice appreciated. Thanks all.

IF YOU PICK A BLIND HOTEL ON HOTWIRE THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL GET THE ELEMENT OR RESIDENCE INN AND THESE HOTELS ARE NONREFUNDABLE.

Unfortunately, you want something that is more a vacation rental than a regular hotel room in downtown Boston. Certain specific hotels offer what you want, but you don't want to pay for it. Boston hotels are expensive. This is an ongoing problem for cruisers.

Why the microwave? You won't have one in your cabin on the ship.