Question regarding parking at Manhattan terminal during Xmas holidays

Walking123

Hello,

We are first time cruisers...Just wondering if anyone has travelled at Christmas and found there to be any issues with securing parking (for SUV) at the Manhattan Terminal? It seems that although a little pricier than some of the other options, the convenience is worth it. However, I note that we cannot reserve it ahead....just worried we won't be able to find a spot?

We are scheduled to board our ship at 10:00 a.m. on departure day. We were concerned as others who have finished their cruises will be disembarking, and it will all be a bit of a mess in the parking lot.

Perhaps we have nothing to worry about, but thought I would check. Thanks....

You'll have no trouble getting a parking space. In my opinion the convenience and security of parking at the port is well worth the cost...which actually isn't all that expensive given parking prices in Manhattan.

Agree. Parking at the port is the best value. I believe those disembarking will not interfere ..... unless their ship is delayed.

Even if the ship is early docking & began Express Walkoff, there is almost zero chance that any embarking pax can be boarded at 10 AM (a slim chance if you are in Haven and/or on a B2B, which OP isn't) I believed OP is referring to arriving at the pier/roof-top parking, getting thru security & checking in at 10 AM, that process is usually 30 minutes or less when we arrive at that hour - and, usually fast track ahead of others.

Vehicles arriving go this way, including security sweep & paying, those leaving come out the other way/side - for the exit lane, little to no chance for really any gridlock, maybe, congested ... ships sailing full and they do this day after day, week after week, year after year ... handling 2 ships & occasionally 3 (different berths/piers, of course.)

It is winter, being in a SUV, assume that OP has winter gears including shovel & snow brush, etc. in case NYC get a blizzard - they do plow & clear the path & roadways ... haven't park there in a decade so I don't know if you can back into the parking spot, as that's how we always park our vehicles - easiest to go forward, get a battery boost in extreme cold, etc.

That other parking place - with advanced reservation - that some used on W. 43rd Street used to dropoff & pickup ... now it's just one way, on disembarkation ... you either walk back over or take a taxi & they reimburse the cab fare. There's a $5 daily surcharge for minivan & suv, with taxes & fees, worked out to be about $30 a day - they do have a max of $300 for up to 14 days of parking, not sure if taxes & fees are counted or not. The convenience of parking above the pier has been highlighted & it seldom get filled up, definitely not in the winter months that I know of.

Commercial parking in the midtown / Times Square area is $50 per 24 hours & higher, before suv/minivan surcharges + 18.375% taxes (ouch !) I should note that the Gem only (exclusive discount of 25%) has been discontinued & coupons no longer honored for the last 2 to 3 months. Feel free to browse at the East Coast departure forum for more details & recent Q&A, etc.

Happy cruising !

• 2 weeks later...