Taxi availability at ports in Ireland?

lvmypug

4 of us are taking a TA cruise that leaves from Amsterdam and visits 4 ports in Ireland ( Dublin, Waterford/Dunmore E., Belfast and Cork) before crossing the pond. Are taxis readily available at these ports that we can hire for private tours or is it best to book ahead with a tour company? Suggestions of which private tour company we should use would be most appreciated

In Belfast we used Value Cabs after a recommendation from someone on here. They have an app you can download and can pre book a cab. We had an excellent tour along the coast road to The Rope Bridge, Castle, Giants Causeway and a tour of Belfast. The driver was more knowledgeable than most tour guides we've used.

We have a overnight in Dublin and planning on a 8:00 am tour from town the second day! Are cabs available that early?

Dave

When we overnighted in Dublin, we had a tour leaving from town planned for the 2nd day and were considering taking a taxi in. There was a designated "taxi line" at the port, but I didn't see any taxis, and when I asked the people at the front of the line, they said that they'd been waiting 45 minutes and had seen barely a handful. We hopped the ship's free shuttle into town instead and convinced the driver to drop us within walking distance of our tour meet-up point -- but taxis were also available in town.

So I would guess that if your ship offers a free shuttle, there may not be many taxis coming by the port.

• 2 weeks later...
When we overnighted in Dublin, we had a tour leaving from town planned for the 2nd day and were considering taking a taxi in. There was a designated "taxi line" at the port, but I didn't see any taxis, and when I asked the people at the front of the line, they said that they'd been waiting 45 minutes and had seen barely a handful. We hopped the ship's free shuttle into town instead and convinced the driver to drop us within walking distance of our tour meet-up point -- but taxis were also available in town.

So I would guess that if your ship offers a free shuttle, there may not be many taxis coming by the port.

Thanks: I don't believe that Royal Caribbean supplies free transportation into town! They did say that they had arranged transportation by a third party but without details. Will check back with Royal as our May cruise approaches

Dave