Don't Trust Family Members

DisneyDatknee

So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.

So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.

Good reminder that at some point, everyone in your life will fail you. Your spouse, kids, parents, siblings, best friend, boss, pastor, etc. Everyone. And we will fail them as well. I am never surprised, upset, etc. when they do. Just part of life.

It could be worse - a jealous family member got a hold of a cruise reservation number a few years ago and cancelled a cruise for 5 people the night before we sailed, one of which was his wife. Luckily, I was able to straighten everything out after about two hours at the port and tears (on my part). Maybe things will work out in the end, just like they did for us :) Hang in there.

I learned this lesson on a vacation as well. It was to a nice cabin. They didn't cook, clean or pay a cent. I had to even to pay for the rental van and gas. Lesson learn. They always ask about our cruises. I tell them that my room is full (it is), and that I am planning for the group. But they need their deposit upfront, and they have to pay it by X date. And that their deposit is non-refundable.

They have not gone on a cruise yet.

Just remember, this is your vacation. Dont let it eat at you. Let them worry about the extra costs, and how to get their. Just enjoy. Karma will knock on their door. And dont give them money again. Im sorry.

Lesson learned.

Don't you just love family. The death of a loved In a family brings out the worse in people. So this is mild. Just life. We are careful about suggesting and inviting people and family to join us. It's expensive for us. I can't afford to pay for others. If you want to join us. This is the cruise line, this is the date, if you like to go, join us. I feel your pain. Will I see you on Judge Judy? I'm just giving you a hard time. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think I would cancel them and take the $300 back. Toxic people are bad for your health and the last thing you need is to be cruising with them.

I have had my fare share of toxic people and have learned that the best thing to do is eliminate contact where ever possible. It's very liberating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lesson learned.

I think you should cut your losses , cancel them and get back whatever you can. Couldn't imagine what the cruise will be like with them.

Another thing to consider is their on board expenses. The cruise line will need either a credit card or cash to cover what they spend on board. If they don't have money, how will that work?

Ouch. Sounds like they got you good. If it were me, I'd cut my losses and cancel them and recover whatever I could. I wouldn't want to be in close quarters on a cruise with them under these circumstances. That will stress you and your grandmother further and you likely wouldn't enjoy your vacation. If they decide they want to go after you cancel them, they are still free to make their own reservations. And that's what I'd tell them if I were in your shoes.

I learned in the past it is difficult enough just trying to coordinate a group of people to cruise together and make it work out, much less risking personal funds for others. If others can't come up with money to make their reservation, they can't afford to cruise.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with your grandmother.

I would tell them that unless I had the money today, I was going to cancel them and get what I could back. If you can do a name change for $50 each, I would see if someone wants a great deal. Make sure your CC is not linked to their Sign and sail card if they sail.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. It's hard to take, when it's family that's left you in such a situation.

Is there anyone else you can take, who would be able to reimburse you? And yeah, that would mean having the awkward conversation with your grandmother and the others, that they're not going with you. I think tonit964 brought up a good point. It sounds like they wouldn't be able to cover the onboard expenses like tips & drinks. So... what happens with that? (Seriously What happens when a passenger doesn't have cash or a credit/debit card to cover their expenses? Are they allowed to check in? Board? Would you be guilted into paying? Ugh...).

Here's one approach: Find a way to tell them that you've cancelled their sailing. And then actually cancel it with Carnival, or change the names on the reservation to a couple of friends who can go with you, and pay their own way.

Ugh, so sorry. Good luck with this.

Lesson learned.

How much will you get back if you let these sorry losers cruise with you?

At this point, it might be worth $300 to cruise without them.

I would also cancel. They tried to scam you out of significant money so now they don't get to go on the cruise. Actions—meet consequences. If you let them go even after they pulled this stunt, you'll only be teaching them that you're a sucker who can be taken advantage of again in the future. It is always a tough pill to swallow when you have to take a big financial loss for someone else's wrongdoing, but consider it a lesson learned about the type of people they are.

This is a sad thread. Sure I've made mistakes in my life, but then paid the price, learned a lesson, and moved forward.

It is possible to cut your losses without severing ties. Rather than saying "Don't Trust Family" I have chosen to say offer to front or loan money to family only if willing and able to pay the cost and maintain the relationship.

Salvage what you can and forget the rest and enjoy your cruise.

My kneejerk reaction was to say .... CANCEL the family members and get the $300 back. I am SO happy to see so many people have said the same thing. I fear your deserved & justified disappointment will overshadow this cruise. You really should cancel them, get whatever $$ you can back, and release a big sigh of relief. I don't know how many family members this is about, but ALL of them will be signing on YOUR credit card for drinks, shopping in the ship's stores, excursions, etc. IF you don't cancel them, and they don't provide their OWN credit card before boarding and they are denied boarding, you won't get the $300 back that you say you can get back now. Do NOT allow any of them on your credit card, you've already been shown what they are HAPPY to do to you.

A quote from Oprah .... many years ago ... "When someone SHOWS you who they are, BELIEVE them".

Another vote to cancel it. I would not want to spend my vacation with someone who put me through so much stress. It might be worth calling Carnival to see if there are any other options, such as using some of the money as a future cruise credit (for yourself). I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this after trying to do something nice. It's true what they say. "Nice guys finish last." :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68