Can I go over with a cash account?

rok233

I'm planning on setting up a cash account on my cruise. Will Norwegian let you go in the negative (even a little) and settle later if you have a cash account? I'm just thinking, if I'm low and tipping all night or decide to buy something that puts me a little over, will they allow it or is there a hard cut off when your account goes to $0?

I know on Carnival they allow you to tip on the receipt for drinks and you could be over the next day because the tips don't go through right away.

Nope. You need to maintain a positive balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about tips written on the receipts for drinks? If I was down to $2 on my account and tipped $5, would they just not get the tip?

No you cannot go negative. If you are already planning on using a cash account the why don’t you keep some of that cash and tip with I️t vs writing I️t in on the receipt. I️t is much more appreciated that way anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a credit card.

Sorry. I know there reasons some people do not have a credit card beyond their current control.

Personally, it would scare me to travel without one - actually multiple. In case of emergency to cover hotels, transportation, medical, food, etc.

-sorry did not mean to get off topic, but....

How many credit cards are 0% interest and $0 annual fee?

Most are 0% interest as long as you pay them off each month. All of mine are! And we only have one with an annual fee than we get back in flights so even that one equals out to a $0 annual fee.

How many credit cards are 0% interest and $0 annual fee?

I have a drawer full of cards with no fees and no interest. I do have a few with fees, but I get enough back to make it worth it.

IHG - get one free hotel night anywhere in their chain. Used it for a $500 room in NYC.

AA card - free bags when we fly. But, probably will not renew it as we have found the pleasures of traveling with carryon only

There are plenty. And some really awesome ones the first year. Like get 25,000 to 75,000 miles the first year which more than covers fees.

The cash account system seems to update in real time on the ship. If your account is at zero the card is "frozen" and won't work to purchase anything on the ship. Your purchases will show up on the account screen on the cabin TV and you can keep track of your purchases/balances. The guest service desk will also print off your account information.

My husband and I always use cash accounts on our cruises, three so far, and have never gone to zero. Granted we use the cash account as a budgeting tool for on board spending. We tend to book and pay for everything prior to sailing so we have limited on board expenses.

The only issue we've had with using a cash account was on the Epic in January of 2017. There had been technical issues with the account system showing charges from the private island (Great Stirrup Cay?). They did not want to refund the balance of any cash accounts due to concerns of spending that could have occurred and not accounted for. We had over 500 dollars left in the account ,and I was unwilling to allow them to sit on it for who knows how long before mailing a check refund. After a few rounds with the on board accounts staff I agreed to a refund of all but 50 dollars, which was later mailed to me (we had not made any purchases on GSC). However, it was a week or more before the check arrived.

So from now on we will not be as generous with our cash account up front and will deposit money as we go to prevent a battle over refunding the balance at the end.

The OP's thread is being unnecessarily hijacked. He didn't ask anything about credit cards, benefits or interest.

You are right.

The OP was concerned that he might hit a point when he could not charge, or maybe a waiter would get stiffed. Someone offered what is a great idea for those that prefer to do cash. Have a CC as backup to handle a small overflow. It also helps if there is a small charge the last night so the passenger does not have to go down to the desk to clear the account.

But - you are right - it did veer off topic a bit, but not that far.

You are right.

The OP was concerned that he might hit a point when he could not charge, or maybe a waiter would get stiffed. Someone offered what is a great idea for those that prefer to do cash. Have a CC as backup to handle a small overflow. It also helps if there is a small charge the last night so the passenger does not have to go down to the desk to clear the account.

But - you are right - it did veer off topic a bit, but not that far.

I agree with you ... but offering information about having a pre-paid CC/Debit Card as a way to avoid issues with a cash account IS offering a solution to the OP. The OP 'seems' to be preparing to go over the amount in the cash account ... before even boarding the ship.

I would be careful about trying to go negative on your balance. Read an account not too long ago. They had a cash account and made a spa appointment. Apparently they were allowed to receive treatment first, but then did not have a sufficient balance to cover the treatment. They spent the rest of the night being called several times in their room and even approached at dinner with reminders to add more cash on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums