White Cliffs of Dover

2curious

I have this question for my fellow cruisers who are always so helpful. We will be on the Jun 30 British Isles cruise on Royal Princess. When the cruise ship is heading to Le Havre, can we see the White Cliffs of Dover from the cruise ship? Or is it too far away from the ship?

The reason is that we are considering a post cruise trip from London to Dover to see the famous White Cliffs. But if we can see it from the ship, then we won’t need to go back there again.

Any feedback re day tours from London to Dover is also welcome. Can you really get a good view of the White Cliffs by walking along the cliff area? Or do you really need to take the ferry to Calais to appreciate its greatness? Some boat tours operating from the harbours do not have good reviews.

We are exploring different options and love to hear your experiences!

You can see the cliffs from France on a good day.

However as you arrive in Le Havre for 7am it may be dark when you pass Dover. If it isn’t and the weather is clear you will see them quite easily as the south west route for shipping through the Dover Straits is about 8 miles off the coast.

The cliffs further west, known as the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, are actually more spectacular than those in Dover. Accessible from Eastbourne.

Assuming that Royal Princess sails from Southampton you'll be nowhere near the White Cliffs when you head for Le Havre.

And even those heading to Bruges, Amsterdam, fjords, Baltic etc rarely get to see them because they usually pass at night or at a distance.

Best view is from a ferry or cruise ship leaving Dover, second-best would be a boat-trip such as offered by https://www.doverseasafari.co.uk/

Viewing from the land is problematic. The town is under the cliffs so that's easy enough, but the best of the cliffs are round-the-corner on the eastern side - and that involves a bit of a hike from up near the castle

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1324384,1.3456848,3a,75y,86.23h,77.57t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO1deNQ8f7YnXxcSlShgiqFucc6cKsD47HGTsCT!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO1deNQ8f7YnXxcSlShgiqFucc6cKsD47HGTsCT%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya71.49999-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352

But IMHO they're inspiring for Brits, but not dramatic.

They were for centuries the first sight of home for those returning from continental Europe or beyond.

And the front door for Adolph in 1940, made famous by wartime sweetheart Vera Lynn

If you're going to visit Dover, I reckon that the castle - in continuous use from the 12th Century to date, including those wartime years - would be a much more interesting & rewarding use of your time.

JB :)

ps yes, the Seven Sisters mentioned by the Juggler are much more attractive. Just not as evocative for Brits.

If you're leaving from Southampton then it's unlikely you'll see the White Cliffs. London to Dover is an easy trip by train (there is a High Speed, just over an hour or the 'slow' train which is about an an hour and 3 quarters) or you can get the coach but that takes about 3 hours. I must admit the best view of the Cliffs is from the ferry but you can walk along them and get spectacular views. The White Cliffs Park (which is near Dover Castle) is lovely for walking and has a really nice cafe. The only difficulty is public transport as it's not that great to get to these places if you were doing a DIY - definitely need a taxi! However, the local White Cliffs organisation has listings of tours which might be of interest. Just get the train down to Dover and then join them. I live near Dover and there are plenty of spots along the coast where you get a good view of the cliffs. Here's the website: http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/Plan/Tours/Tours.aspx

Just checked the itinerary. So you are leaving Edinburgh at 7pm, day at sea, arrive Le Havre at 7am. Thats 36 hrs to do about 660 miles (using Google Earth). Using a bit of maths and Google Earth, I reckon you will be passing the white cliffs about 11pm on the sea day, so I'm afraid you can point and say "there they are", but you ain't going to see them!...even on a long summers evening.

Simon

Just checked the itinerary. So you are leaving Edinburgh at 7pm, day at sea, arrive Le Havre at 7am. Thats 36 hrs to do about 660 miles (using Google Earth). Using a bit of maths and Google Earth, I reckon you will be passing the white cliffs about 11pm on the sea day, so I'm afraid you can point and say "there they are", but you ain't going to see them!...even on a long summers evening.

Simon

I've just done the same calculation, Simon, using https://sea-distances.org/ and the back of an envelope, and come up with 10pm.

Even that's too late.

Since he's local, perhaps Philbeach will do the OP the common courtesy of lighting a beacon on the cliffs, or in the Roman lighthouse in the castle. ;p

I've just done the same calculation, Simon, using https://sea-distances.org/ and the back of an envelope, and come up with 10pm.

Even that's too late.

Since he's local, perhaps Philbeach will do the OP the common courtesy of lighting a beacon on the cliffs, or in the Roman lighthouse in the castle. ;p

I'll ask Vera Lynn to get the bluebirds to shout out to the ship! :D:D

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions so quickly!

Yes we are coming from Edinburgh to Le Havre as the last port before heading back to Southampton. I did not think of the time of day that our ship would pass the White Cliffs. I will try to confirm with the ship the day before if they can tell me the exact time to pass it.

Or I will look out for the beacon and bluebirds from Philbeach!

Can local Dover resident Philbeach or anyone who has been to the White Cliffs recently help me with another question?

I read on the web that the white cliffs are becoming more “green” and not so white anymore? Is this true? Don’t want to travel so far and be disappointed.

As Thejuggler and John Bull suggested Seven Sisters is more spectacular, however Google said it is 2 hours further west, so if we travel to Dover, it is not close by cos we won’t have a car.

As a first time visitor to Dover, is it still worthwhile to admire the famous iconic White Cliffs of Dover?

Edited by 2curious
Hide signature

Here are some pics of the white cliffs of Dover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Cliffs_of_Dover

You'll see there's vegetation on the cliffs - always has been in my memory but perhaps more now.

And these are of the Seven Sisters

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/seven-sisters---cliffs?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=seven%20sisters%20-%20cliffs#license

Yes, toward 2 hours, 70 miles on frustratingly slow roads.

You're asking a subjective question, so only you can decide.

Me - I wouldn't bother about the cliffs.

But Dover is worthwhile for the castle, and you can get glimpses of the cliffs from there.

For a better view of the cliffs from terra firma ask a cab driver to take you to the visitor centre off Upper Road, walk mebbe 200 yards along the chalk path at the end of the carpark, photostop, then back to the cab.

(if you're taking the train to Dover, get the cabbie to take you to that viewpoint & then the castle. Shouldn't cost the earth)

The cliffs are still white (bits of green obviously at places but certainly not the main colour!). I think they are lovely, but then I live near them. As JB says, go to the White Cliffs Park and have a very short wander along the path and you get some fantastic views (and you may even be able to see France). Also great view from Dover Castle and the castle really is worth a visit. Dover itself is pretty much a building site at the moment as they are doing a lot of regeneration to the area so, if you've got all day, I'd recommend getting a dayrider bus pass (£6.90) and get the bus to St Margaret's, which is on the cliffs and you can walk down to the beach and be right beside them (and Ian's Flemings house as well)or walk along to the old lighthouse (now a cafe). Bus timetables are on the Stagecoach website.

Thanks for all the clarification and suggestions for look out points to see the Cliffs. We will definitely follow your directions. We are trying to arrange a Safari Boat tour to view the White Cliffs from the sea. We also plan to go to Dover Castle. And we also plan to go to Canterbury Cathedral on our way back to London. This should be plenty to fill a full day!

Edited by 2curious
hide signature

Thanks for all the clarification and suggestions for look out points to see the Cliffs. We will definitely follow your directions. We are trying to arrange a Safari Boat tour to view the White Cliffs from the sea. We also plan to go to Dover Castle. And we also plan to go to Canterbury Cathedral on our way back to London. This should be plenty to fill a full day!

Is Canterbury Cathedral open for Midnight Mass? :D

Is Canterbury Cathedral open for Midnight Mass? :D

:D

That certainly is a full day (maybe too full?). Can easily spend a whole day in Canterbury including about 2 hours in the Cathedral. Last entry is 5.00 pm and that would only give you 1/2 hour to run round it! Drive from Dover to Canterbury is about 40 minutes by taxi or 1/2 hour by train. Check you can do a 'stop off' on your way to London (there may be a time limit).

Hmmm...then I will have to drop Canterbury off my list ☹️ Thanks for putting some sense back in me for being too ambitious!We may go directly from Southampton to Dover after our cruise (got quote from Smiths already), stay overnight in Dover waterfront and then either take private transfer/train/bus back to London the next evening. Our London hotel is in Victoria and only 4 min walk from the coach station. And the bus fare is only £5 which is hard to beat!

This plan should give us more time and flexibility to explore the White Cliffs and Dover Castle leisurely. I have also contacted the Dover Greeters to see if we can arrange a tour with them. This plan is slowly coming together with all your expert advice. Thanks John Bull and Philbeach! You guys are great! 😃

Edited by 2curious
Typo

I got a reply from Dover Sea Safari for their boat tour on the boat Wetwheels (not the fast Dover Explorer). They said the boat is “a very stable catamaran”. Does anyone have experience with this boat? I read all their reviews, but none is specific to the Wetwheels boat and the ride itself. This boat can hold wheelchairs so I don’t think it will be too fast? The reason I am asking is that one person in our group gets seasick on speedboats and rough boat rides. So I would like to get some feedback if the ride is really fast and bumpy all the way. Is the sea very rough too? I am trying to convince her to go along to see cliffs up close! So I am calling out to my CC fellow cruisers who are always so resourceful. Thanks!

I got a reply from Dover Sea Safari for their boat tour on the boat Wetwheels (not the fast Dover Explorer). They said the boat is “a very stable catamaran”. Does anyone have experience with this boat? I read all their reviews, but none is specific to the Wetwheels boat and the ride itself. This boat can hold wheelchairs so I don’t think it will be too fast? The reason I am asking is that one person in our group gets seasick on speedboats and rough boat rides. So I would like to get some feedback if the ride is really fast and bumpy all the way. Is the sea very rough too? I am trying to convince her to go along to see cliffs up close! So I am calling out to my CC fellow cruisers who are always so resourceful. Thanks!

Not been on this myself, but Trip Advisor has loads of photos posted by people and Whetwheels looks pretty stable (as opposed to the RIB, which is really fast!). I'd think if it has wheelchair space, it won't be too bumpy. If the sea is really rough, they won't go out. Very hard to predict what it's going to be like on the day you're booked. Sometimes, even if it's a bit windy out, the sea can be like glass. Other times, it's choppy or really choppy (and even the ferries don't run). If you don't get a reply here, post the question on Trip Advisor or ask the Sea Safari guys (and see if she'd be able to cancel if she thinks the sea is too choppy on the day).

If you can predict the weather, you will make a killing over here!! I used to drive to Austria and back every week for 2 years, so I've made a fair few crossings. I've seen the Channel as flat as a millpond and the worst I've been in was a storm one day in June. The ferry wouldn't attempt to enter the harbour, so we cruised the Channel for 5 hours! Bear in mind, its only a 90 minute crossing! Far worse than any weather I've experienced ona cruise ship.

Simon

Thanks for the feedback and reality check! Have not convinced my friend to join, but the rest of us are keen to go. If the sea is too rough and unsafe, the tour operation may cancel the tour anyway, so we just have to take our chance.

Now I would like to validate my time assumptions to travel from Southampton to Dover when our ship docks on July 12. Feedback will be greatly appreciated. I have also read many similar posts and replies re Transfer:

5am: Ship docks Southampton

7am: Leave ship unassisted (take our own luggage) and clear customs

7:30am: Meet pre-arranged transfer to drive to Dover

11am: Arrive hotel at Dover waterfront (allow 3.5 hrs include buffer for traffic delay)

11:30am: Arrive at pier for Dover Safari boat tour (pier is 2 mins walk from hotel)

12noon: Boat tour to White Cliffs !

Does the above make sense? Anything we need to watch out re disembarkation and transfer? Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback and reality check! Have not convinced my friend to join, but the rest of us are keen to go. If the sea is too rough and unsafe, the tour operation may cancel the tour anyway, so we just have to take our chance.

Now I would like to validate my time assumptions to travel from Southampton to Dover when our ship docks on July 12. Feedback will be greatly appreciated. I have also read many similar posts and replies re Transfer:

5am: Ship docks Southampton

7am: Leave ship unassisted (take our own luggage) and clear customs

7:30am: Meet pre-arranged transfer to drive to Dover

11am: Arrive hotel at Dover waterfront (allow 3.5 hrs include buffer for traffic delay)

11:30am: Arrive at pier for Dover Safari boat tour (pier is 2 mins walk from hotel)

12noon: Boat tour to White Cliffs !

Does the above make sense? Anything we need to watch out re disembarkation and transfer? Thanks.

Looks fine to me. It usually takes us about 3 hours to drive to Southampton (I like to avoid the motorways/freeways, which will probably be quicker but your driver should know his stuff and take the fastest route if there are any delays). A couple of things that could delay you is probably the weather or if there is a strike in Calais which means the ferries are cancelled/delayed and traffic is stuck on the roads but, again, the driver should know about this. Hope it all goes to plan!

Thanks Philbeach Traveller for your reply. We booked Smiths already to take us from Southampton to Dover.

Does resourceful John Bull have any further feedback for my time assumptions to disembark the ship? We will walk off unassisted with our luggage to avoid the crowds.

Thanks!

Edited by 2curious
Fixed emoticon