Just Back from Solstice - Alaska 5/23-3/30

mabell2

Great idea, Cruise Junky, but he/she has already turned down this solution. Maybe we all should book this? Loved Australia, Bora Bora and Moorea so much I could do this again in a heartbeat. So many beautiful places, so little time, so little money!:D:D

Edited by YVR cruiser

Great idea, Cruise Junky, but he/she has already turned down this solution. Maybe we all should book this? Loved Australia, Bora Bora and Moorea so much I could do this again in a heartbeat. So many beautiful places, so little time, so little money!:D:D

Yes, lovely places and a lovely idea. I had suggested that but they are time limited (as well as money I would assume) as they also are travelling across Canada and the US. I think their best option is to do the cross country and then come back for Alaska on the Solstice . This is more or less what they wanted but they will need to shuffle the order around somewhat.:D

Funny, we were just talking about doing Australia in 2017..yes, we plan ahead ;)

You can still do Solstice if you board in Sydney instead of Honolulu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'd like to, but that would make 5 weeks cruising, and we're looking at at least 2-3 weeks touring.. All well and good, but we both work, and probably wouldn't have enough time off available.

Yes, lovely places and a lovely idea. I had suggested that but they are time limited (as well as money I would assume) as they also are travelling across Canada and the US. I think their best option is to do the cross country and then come back for Alaska on the Solstice . This is more or less what they wanted but they will need to shuffle the order around somewhat.:D

Yeah, I think we'll wait and see what's available when the Alaskan itineraries for 2016 are released and work it out from there.

Yeah, I think we'll wait and see what's available when the Alaskan itineraries for 2016 are released and work it out from there.

Good plan, Alaska is definitely worth seeing so I wouldn't put it off altogether.:D

We spent most of the fjord on the balcony. We were invited to see the glacier on the ships helipad because we are Elite members but once we were there we decided to go back to the balcony. There were too many people and if you didn't secure a spot on the railing you couldn't see. We only stayed about 15 min and went back. It might be worth it to go up to deck 14 so you can see both sides. It took several hours to go through the whole passage.

OK, you convinced me...a balcony it is on an Alaskan cruise!:D

Good Morning! We will be taking the Alaskan cruise on the Solstice in August. What private tour did you do in Ketchican and what was the cost?

Cheers,

Mark

It's been many years and not sure what port, but we did the Celebrity helicopter ride up to the glaciers...it was AWESOME!!! Worth every penny!!!!!!

Good Morning! We will be taking the Alaskan cruise on the Solstice in August. What private tour did you do in Ketchican and what was the cost?

Cheers,

Mark

We didn't do a tour. We were not interested in seeing the lumberjack shows or the totem pole park (we had already seen these in Canada) but both are easily accessable if doing by yourself.

We were just going to look around town ourselves and grab a private excursion from onshore. The weather had closed in (mist/fog) so going up the cable car was out, so we just wandered around the old part of town and the newer buildings and shops and had a nice lunch.:D

We tried booking this tour but they were full and so instead, we went with Seawind Aviation for $199p/p (this was with a military discount; reg. price was $209, I believe) for a 1.5 hour tour with a stop where we could get out and take some photos. We were happy with this company and had a very smooth flight and landings :).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can any of you upload the daily activity newsletter? I think they are Celebrities Dailies, but can't remember for sure.

Also, I head that quite a bit of activities on ship may be shut down on the last night when we are in Victoria. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

would love to see those daily activity newsletters too!

Me too, please!!

My family and I were on this cruise as well and I saved the Celebrity Today dailies on the trip. I've scanned them in and hosted PDFs for those interested:

May 23rd - Seattle, Washington

May 24th - At Sea

May 25th - Ketchikan, Alaska

May 26th - Tracy Arm Fjord (Cruising) / Juneau, Alaska

May 27th - Skagway, Alaska

May 28th - At Sea

May 29th - Victoria B.C., Canada

Enjoy!

My family and I were on this cruise as well and I saved the Celebrity Today dailies on the trip. I've scanned them in and hosted PDFs for those interested:

May 24th - At Sea

May 28th - At Sea

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting them, very much appreciate it.:D

My family and I were on this cruise as well and I saved the Celebrity Today dailies on the trip. I've scanned them in and hosted PDFs for those interested!

Thanks so much! These are so helpful bc they're recent-have seen older ones before. We sail Aug 1.

A query on the bucket of beers offer on one of the dailies. Are these one off or are they a regular and standing way of purchasing bottles of beer?

Not necessarily regular or one off either, tends to be random when they offer the specials.:D

May 24th - At Sea

May 28th - At Sea

Enjoy!

Thank you for posting the dailies...so informative!

May 24th - At Sea

May 28th - At Sea

Enjoy!

These are beautiful! Many thanks!

May 24th - At Sea

May 28th - At Sea

Enjoy!

Bump