miracles do happen

Computer Nerd

You have no idea how jealous some of us are!

I found out about the water/soda policy here on CC ONLY, 2 days before our final payment. We were all set to cancel that weekend, BUT, my MIL and a friend of hers (who are going with us), booked through a 3rd party and they had already made their final payment. They would have lost 50% of their cruise fare. I just couldn't do that to them.

Like many others, it's not just the water/soda policy. It's everything that NCL has changed/increased/taken away since we booked over a year ago. :mad:

Definitely our 1st and last cruise with them though.

What on earth could you possibly not be able to do at Disney World?

They changed from FP to FP+. It changed the way we would be able to vacation. It was going to be too new and too restrictive for us to spend our vacation dollars.

Thankfully a few hacks later, we visited in 2016. It wasn't as great as years past, but it was close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I suspect what they meant was ongoing customer-unfriendly changes and price increases at WDW. (You see plenty of people unhappy with this if you spend any time on the DIS boards. And park attendance is down this year.)

I almost cancelled a cruise this fall in favor of a short trip to WDW, but the resort prices blew my mind, now that fall is no longer 'off-season' (since there is no more off-season).

Didn't Disney World have a lot of increase in the last year or so?

If I remember late last year, they raised the annual passes by 15% and then early this year raised the single day tickets by almost 20%. Then they added, what folks on here would call nickel and diming, when they charged 75% more for premium parking spaces and $149 if you wanted to enjoy the Magic Kingdom after it closes and $69 for before the park opens experiences. If those weren't enough, soft drinks were increased $2.99 to $3.29 (on a soda I can buy for $ .20) and bottled water went from $2.75 to $3.00 and then they raised kid friendly beverages, juices up 18% and milk up 35%.

Yup.

The ole place ain't what she used to be.

But we had a blast... And after we did a week there we did 7-nights on Getaway. I will admit I almost canceled Getaway. We were very disappointed with the cut of fireworks & room service; the Harvest Caye opening being pushed back; change to a la carte in specialties; DSC increase...Ahem...we went anyway and had a blast.

I get you OP. It's about knowing how you will feel about the return on your investment and finding it acceptable in your own eyes.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

Didn't Disney World have a lot of increase in the last year or so?

If I remember late last year, they raised the annual passes by 15% and then early this year raised the single day tickets by almost 20%. Then they added, what folks on here would call nickel and diming, when they charged 75% more for premium parking spaces and $149 if you wanted to enjoy the Magic Kingdom after it closes and $69 for before the park opens experiences. If those weren't enough, soft drinks were increased $2.99 to $3.29 (on a soda I can buy for $ .20) and bottled water went from $2.75 to $3.00 and then they raised kid friendly beverages, juices up 18% and milk up 35%.

Well lets put it this way.

We're going to WDW next month. We paid in full. We have free dining which was added free to our reservation after we booked with no increase in price or gratuities added on.

Nothing has been taken away since we booked, and no downgrades on meals or drinks.

Yes, WDW is expensive, but we're getting what we were supposed to when we booked and after paid in full.

So, they do differ with NCL's reasoning of customer satisfaction.

i was participating in a different thread about the latest ncl 'bait and switch' policy change....yes, my choice of words.....where people cannot now bring soda on board anymore, supposedly for security reasons......but bottles of wine are secure....lol. :rolleyes: so, while i had not made my final payment yet, we were cruising with friends that we had talked into going on this ncl cruise so i felt trapped into going even though i'm fed up with ncl and didn't want to go. low and behold, was speaking with our friends today and they told me they had to cancel the cruise because their son who was travelling had a new job and couldn't take that much time off now. freedom. :D so i got home this afternoon, 9 days before final payment, and cancelled my ncl cruise. i feel so relieved that i don't have to deal with ncl's stupidity anymore and am now taking a nice land vacation for a fraction of the cost instead over the same time period. yea......:D

for anyone who wants to flame me for cancelling a cruise over soda, feel free and give it your best shot. the soda issue was simply the final straw that broke the camel's back. i have a laundry list of complaints about ncl and am just happy i don't have to deal with it anymore. for those of you who still love ncl i hope you enjoy your cruises but i'll be back on carnival, princess, rccl, and hal from now on. toodles. :)

Good for you. We cancelled two cruises with NCL and rebooked with Celebrity. Would personally have cancel Hawaii but it would mean divorce.

30 plus cruises with NCL and we are done.

I suspect what they meant was ongoing customer-unfriendly changes and price increases at WDW. (You see plenty of people unhappy with this if you spend any time on the DIS boards. And park attendance is down this year.)

I almost cancelled a cruise this fall in favor of a short trip to WDW, but the resort prices blew my mind, now that fall is no longer 'off-season' (since there is no more off-season).

Thats why we are vacation club members. I hope attendance is down, I go at the end of the month. Even booked a Disney cruise for next September. Price increases there are really nothing new, multiple day passes are still the best bargain. I also buy the Premium dining package and I know all my meals are covered and I am able to budget for it ahead of time. I have been to places where drinks were a lot higher - went to a concert in NC a few months ago and paid $8 for a soda - WDW doesn't begin to touch outrageous pricing like that. And all amusement parks are over priced on food/drinks, that isn't limited to just WDW. We also love the magic bands and I have a fantastic time every time I go.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

Thats why we are vacation club members. I hope attendance is down, I go at the end of the month. Even booked a Disney cruise for next September. Price increases there are really nothing new, multiple day passes are still the best bargain.

Yes, you're right.

We were only going to go to the park for 4 days, until we found out , we could add one more day on for $15 pp. No brainer.

Too bad cruising isn't the same way...longer cruises have a $15 pp per day feature ha!

Thats why we are vacation club members. I hope attendance is down, I go at the end of the month. Even booked a Disney cruise for next September. Price increases there are really nothing new, multiple day passes are still the best bargain.

I hope attendance falls as well. Nothing ruins a day faster than too many tourists in my park! :D

Well lets put it this way.

We're going to WDW next month. We paid in full. We have free dining which was added free to our reservation after we booked with no increase in price or gratuities added on.

Nothing has been taken away since we booked, and no downgrades on meals or drinks.

Yes, WDW is expensive, but we're getting what we were supposed to when we booked and after paid in full.

So, they do differ with NCL's reasoning of customer satisfaction.

I think thats the key...people want to know that what they booked and paid for is what they're going to get.

If you tinker with something minor here and there, most people don't even realize. But making major changes and leaving people no recourse upsets them.

i was participating in a different thread about the latest ncl 'bait and switch' policy change....yes, my choice of words.....where people cannot now bring soda on board anymore, supposedly for security reasons......but bottles of wine are secure....lol. :rolleyes: so, while i had not made my final payment yet, we were cruising with friends that we had talked into going on this ncl cruise so i felt trapped into going even though i'm fed up with ncl and didn't want to go. low and behold, was speaking with our friends today and they told me they had to cancel the cruise because their son who was travelling had a new job and couldn't take that much time off now. freedom. :D so i got home this afternoon, 9 days before final payment, and cancelled my ncl cruise. i feel so relieved that i don't have to deal with ncl's stupidity anymore and am now taking a nice land vacation for a fraction of the cost instead over the same time period. yea......:D

for anyone who wants to flame me for cancelling a cruise over soda, feel free and give it your best shot. the soda issue was simply the final straw that broke the camel's back. i have a laundry list of complaints about ncl and am just happy i don't have to deal with it anymore. for those of you who still love ncl i hope you enjoy your cruises but i'll be back on carnival, princess, rccl, and hal from now on. toodles. :)

I say tootles to you Computer Nerd. I bet I'll see you complaining about one thing or another on other cruise line threads in time. Every cruise line has it's twists and turns. I've been cruising with NCL since '89 beside other cruise lines, timeshares and all-inclusives. Every vacation has had minor issues but overall they were ALL great.

As far as the other commenters to this post (and many other threads), obviously everyone looks at things differently but I can't see all the hype over a few extra bucks for bottled water or losing your mind over Pepsi vs. Coke, etc....

I think thats the key...people want to know that what they booked and paid for is what they're going to get.

If you tinker with something minor here and there, most people don't even realize. But making major changes and leaving people no recourse upsets them.

The thing is what is major to one person is minor to another so there will always be someone saying that the change is deal breaker while another person isn't even affected by it. Such as in this case. Computer Nerd sees it as a major change to the point he is cancelling his cruise. I see it as minor and won't be affected by it at all. So the question is how many cruisers out there are like Computer Nerd and how many of them are like me? NCL is betting on the majority of their target market being like me or being new cruisers who won't know the difference. Only time will tell if it works for them or not.

The thing is what is major to one person is minor to another so there will always be someone saying that the change is deal breaker while another person isn't even affected by it. Such as in this case. Computer Nerd sees it as a major change to the point he is cancelling his cruise. I see it as minor and won't be affected by it at all. So the question is how many cruisers out there are like Computer Nerd and how many of them are like me? NCL is betting on the majority of their target market being like me or being new cruisers who won't know the difference. Only time will tell if it works for them or not.

agreed. the water and soda policy didn't affect me. I was thinking about bringing some waters but I didn't want to lug them around at all anyway, so they made the decision for me.

The raising of the price on the super premium alcohol bothered me, but not enough to cancel, even if I could.

But having never cruised before I have been turned off by then general way that NCL operates. Since i've followed this forum and booked the trip back in january or february things have gone nuts haha.

I'm not sure if this is usually how NCL operates, and I have no idea how other lines operate, but I think that if I enjoy my cruise enough to want to do it again instead of going back to all inclusive resorts, I'll definitely look into other lines and see how they do things and what the best bang for my buck will be for the things that I prioritize.

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink...for free that is...lol

for the record...I dont want to flame you for this...but i feel that this NCL thing could be a "gateway" for your last straw "frustration" that may bleed into "other" aspects of your life and cause you to act irrational...lets have an example you say: at your work... someone forgets to fill the plastic spoons in the communal kitchen causing you to have to open a sealed box of them and refill it on your own...thats it..."I Quit" haha....here is another one: you come home from work and want to watch the game...and for years you place the remote on the right arm of the rocker recliner...but today...the remote is gone...!!! OMG...we might as well get a divorce!!! hehe...ok one more... your best friend since H.S. always calls or texts you on your birthday...but this year...Nothing...lol...guess his name is getting erased from the cell phone..never to be called again..

my point is not to be glib.. (Matt Lauer reference!!) but to wish you luck on all of your future endeavors...and pray that those who you are replacing are replaced with the "perfect" replacement.

i realize my words are deep...you may need to go back and read them again to understand the help i am offering here to not just you but all the readers of your post.

Someone once said the grass is not always greener..

so i raise my glass of single malt and offer you a toast to your.

Good Things.

-Mark

The stock price shows, you're not the first, you won't be the last.

Enjoy your vacation. Maybe one day NCL will modify its product to better suit your needs.

agreed. the water and soda policy didn't affect me. I was thinking about bringing some waters but I didn't want to lug them around at all anyway, so they made the decision for me.

The raising of the price on the super premium alcohol bothered me, but not enough to cancel, even if I could.

But having never cruised before I have been turned off by then general way that NCL operates. Since i've followed this forum and booked the trip back in january or february things have gone nuts haha.

I'm not sure if this is usually how NCL operates, and I have no idea how other lines operate, but I think that if I enjoy my cruise enough to want to do it again instead of going back to all inclusive resorts, I'll definitely look into other lines and see how they do things and what the best bang for my buck will be for the things that I prioritize.

You definitely should shop around. We are not loyal to NCL by any means, but they have also not done anything that would make them lose our business if they have what we want at the price we are willing to pay for the next vacation we are planning.

Computer Nerd....I am happy for you...You made a decision that makes you "relieved" and ultimately happy....that is a very good thing...

We all should do what we think is best for us.

My DH and I (Platiunum) have been sailing NCL for a few years..lately only in suites. We are probably not sailing again anytime soon unless NCL shows in their pricing and amenities that we are valued customers.

I say "we"...as I have one solo (CAS) cruise coming up..and that too will probably be the last for me...since CAS has also changed so much that I really do not get much benefit from them..

Good luck and happy traveling...whatever you choose in the future :)

In March 2015 we booked our cruise for May 2016. During that time, we saw so many parts of the product changing. It was very disconcerting. We ended up going and having a fantastic time. I certainly missed the room service & ended up enjoying Belize Ecopark (planned to have Harvest Caye). (Our TA did go to bat and got us Illusionarium free on first night as advertised when we reserved.)

I believe we will try to book NCL for May 2018 as soon as it's released. But I'll be also considering Carnival Vista and RCI Freedom class.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

So where's the MIRACLE????

So where's the MIRACLE????

His friend's son got a new job.

This is at the very least a Festivus miracle.

Whether it rises to the level of a miracle that counts toward sainthood, I don't speak for the Church. May require further investigation.

My very first cruise was on the Sky in 2010 and, yes, there have been so many changes, I can't keep up. However, none of them are enough to make me cancel my cruise to Alaska next year. I don't eat in the specialty restaurants, I don't drink, I tip above and beyond the DSC (and think the crew members deserve every penny). Don't start with the"NCL gets the DSC, not the crew" stuff either because unless you have direct knowledge of this from NCL headquarters, it is speculation. Nonetheless, the soda ban will affect my next cruise but only because I don't feel like paying $3.50 for a can of soda and like to bring my own on board. I will survive,though.

I have so many more important things to worry about than whether or not I can get lobster on my cruise. It only takes one cancer diagnosis to change one's perspective. A cruise, and anything else, really, is what you make of it. Life and changes happen. Either suck it up and move on or be miserable. It is all about choices.

Edited by momoftwinteens

IMO it would be “miracle” if all those cancelling NCL cruises over carbonated sugar drinks would stop trolling this site and move on to your next rant somewhere else.

If you don't like NCL move on to the next board, I know misery likes company but come on now, this is so exhausting.

I have one NCL cruise next month but cancelled the next one booked. The cruise lines are getting out of control with the declines in service and the increases for everything. The last cruise we took on Celebrity we were so disgusted with everything we will never take another Celebrity cruise either.

I totally understand the original post and getting fed up. It's not the water or the soda, it's the case of enough is enough. I tried a beach vacation for a week last fall and it was wonderful and no more than most week cruises.

When I booked the Escape After Midnight was the show and Margaritaville were included. I will go to Margaritaville and pay for it and if I miss after Midnight (there is a 2 week break) so be it, but after seeing the tip increases again, the UBP prices increase again etc. enough is enough.

His friend's son got a new job.

This is at the very least a Festivus miracle.

Whether it rises to the level of a miracle that counts toward sainthood, I don't speak for the Church. May require further investigation.

What a miracle! :rolleyes::p

i appreciate all the warm wishes. yes, i do know that all cruise lines are changing. i first sailed in 2000 on carnival and have 9 cruises on carnival, 4 on ncl, 3 on rccl, and 1 each on princess and hal. i know that carnival of today is not like carnival of yesteryear, and the same with all other cruise lines. but at least carnival has used some common sense. earlier this year, they banned bottles. when they did that, for the water folks, they dropped their case of bottled water to 3.99. they also still allow canned products to be brought on. so they helped fix a problem, smuggling, without keeping people from bringing pretty much what they wanted. if ncl had thought this way, i would probably still sail with them even there are other issues that i don't like. and if carnival changes too many things, i'll move on to somewhere else. the whole point is one should be happy and anticipate having fun on a cruise, not be irritated by small things that they are not allowed to do just to the company can make more profit.

i hope all of you enjoy your future cruise on whoever that may be as much as i will enjoy mine. and with my love of timesharing, there are plenty of land trips in the future as well. if any of you get tired of ncl as i have, come join the wifey and me on a carnival cruise, or on someone else, who knows. :D