Owners Suite vs Haven Courtyard Penthouse on Gem

BiancaV

Ok so I booked an Owners Suite on the Gem but I just saw a review from someone who stayed in the Owners Suite that they didn't like the location because it was 4 floors away from the Haven Courtyard. They also felt they didn't get treated as well as Courtyard guests. Anyone have experience with either of these suites? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I was in courtyard villa on gem and it is so nice to open door and there are the butlers, attendant to serve you.....I heard from woman on our cruise in owners suite (non courtyard) say they paid little to no attention to them as well since they weren't near the courtyard.....go courtyard if you can

I stayed in the Owners Suite on the Gem back in 2012. We had a great butler and never felt like we weren't treated as well. We didn't make very many trips to the actual haven area but that was because my daughter suffers from chronic migraines and was in bed 3 out of 7 days.

My husband and I stayed in the 1 bedroom haven room and enjoyed being close to the courtyard and Cagneys. We liked having the hot tub right outside our cabin and used it several times.

This past March my DW and I were in 9006 on the Gem. We went up to the Haven maybe six times during the trip. We loved our cabin. It offered a couple of balconies and plenty of room. I don't think we would have had that space in a Haven cabin. The Haven area was nice but not a space we needed daily. We would do an Owner's Suite again over the Haven

Enjoy your trip.

We were in a Deluxe Owners Suite in May 2015 on the Gem and due to strange circumstances, had a chance to experience both the Deluxe Owners Suite right in the Haven area and the Owner's Suite with Large Balcony in the front of the ship (that had Haven access) while on one cruise.

After two days in the Deluxe Owner's Suite (which we absolutely loved despite the somewhat bordello decor Jewel class ships are prone to), our tub developed a tremendous leak that flooded the closet between the bathroom and the bedroom soaking the carpeting. The staff suggested we take one of the unoccupied Owner's Suites with Large Balcony in the front of the ship in place of the Deluxe while they worked on cleaning it up.

I think they expected us to accept the downgrade for the rest of the cruise.

We lasted maybe two hours and decided we'd rather deal with staying in the Deluxe Owner's Suite with the soggy floor while they dried it out with loud fans and cleansers than stay so far away from the Haven in the front of the ship.

We really enjoyed being right in the Haven area as well as overlooking the action midship from the Deluxe Owner's Suite balcony rather than being so isolated in the front of the ship. So we told them we were staying in our Deluxe Owner's suite for the duration of the cruise. Things pretty much dried out in a day or two.

That said, some will prefer the space and privacy afforded by being in the Owner's Suites at the front of the ship in the Jewel class ships.. it's simply a matter of preference. We met a couple at the Chef's Dinner on that same cruise who were absolutely thrilled with their Owner's Suites with Large Balcony in the front of the ship.

I guess you just need to factor in whether you like quiet and privacy (Front of ship Owner's Suite) or a mix of both (Deluxe Owner's). The Deluxe Owner's gave us privacy and the Haven and also a feeling of being in the mix.

Both have their benefits... good luck choosing!

Edited by lgdesign

I'm one of those that enjoy the quiet and privacy of the Owners Suite. I spent hours just sitting on the side balcony. I had no desire to overlook the pool and watch the crowds. We toured the DOS and my husband and I both decided we liked our 1 bedroom haven suite better.

This past March my DW and I were in 9006 on the Gem. We went up to the Haven maybe six times during the trip. We loved our cabin. It offered a couple of balconies and plenty of room. I don't think we would have had that space in a Haven cabin. The Haven area was nice but not a space we needed daily. We would do an Owner's Suite again over the Haven

Enjoy your trip.

Totally agree with you. We've stayed in a Owners Suite on both the Gem & Jade and visited the Haven once on each ship just to check it out. When the OS have these beautiful front & side balconies why would you want to side in the Haven & look at the walls.

We always sail in an owners suite, haven't tried the mega ships to date. The layout and positioning of the Dawn and Jewel Class ships is pretty standard.

They are in a quieter area of the ship, but you can still spend as much time up in the Haven area as you like. We love the ability to spend time on at least one balcony, regardless of the weather (except for a few EXTREME conditions). Nothing beats watching, smelling, listening to the sounds of the ocean for us. In port, the front balcony is marvelous. We have never felt a lack of attention from butlers, concierge, staff on board at alll. In fact we always feel very spoiled. There are several perks you will not get in the Haven Penthouse that do come with the owners suite.

Love having 1-1/2 bathrooms, 10th floor OS actually has a large dining alcove, reserved seats to all shows, 3 bottles of liquor, all the bottled water and soda you care to drink. We have sailed OS on the Star, Dawn, Pride of America, Jewel, Gem (most several times), and look forward to the Pearl in December and the Jewel repositioning cruise to Australia (only going as far as Hawaii) next October. Be careful, if you try an OS--you could get hooked. As you can tell, the OS gets our recommendation!!!

Decisions, decisions... they're both really good cabin options.

In the DOS on the Gem, there is one big balcony with a private hot tub (rudimentary... you need to periodically drain and refill to keep it warm) and lots of furniture options including an umbrella for while you're in port. And being up a set of stairs, we felt we were close enuf to the Haven to enjoy but separated enuf to feel very private. We spent many hours in our room and on the balcony enjoying the views of ocean off the side and midship activities to the front and were perfectly situated to catch a launch at Cape Canaveral from our balcony at the top of the ship with no obstructions.

Also, with all the glass in the DOS, the room felt very bright and cheery... a real pleasure and would gladly take a DOS again (if the price was right :))

Ok so I booked an Owners Suite on the Gem but I just saw a review from someone who stayed in the Owners Suite that they didn't like the location because it was 4 floors away from the Haven Courtyard. They also felt they didn't get treated as well as Courtyard guests. Anyone have experience with either of these suites? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

That was exactly our take on staying any where other than the haven area . We had the owners suite and get this.. we were not allowed in our rooms until all of the ship was..causeee it was was not in a secluded Haven area. Having paid way more for this room than just a normal balcony within the Haven area .. that made us less than happy!

Decisions, decisions... they're both really good cabin options.

In the DOS on the Gem, there is one big balcony with a private hot tub (rudimentary... you need to periodically drain and refill to keep it warm) and lots of furniture options including an umbrella for while you're in port. And being up a set of stairs, we felt we were close enuf to the Haven to enjoy but separated enuf to feel very private. We spent many hours in our room and on the balcony enjoying the views of ocean off the side and midship activities to the front and were perfectly situated to catch a launch at Cape Canaveral from our balcony at the top of the ship with no obstructions.

Also, with all the glass in the DOS, the room felt very bright and cheery... a real pleasure and would gladly take a DOS again (if the price was right :))

I believe the OP is asking about the OS on decks 9 and 10 forward.

Another vote for the Owner's Suite on any Jewel Class ship.

I have never felt that I wasn't treated well as an Owner Suite occupant and we love the space in the OS and the two large balconies. I much prefer the quite of my balcony or cabin to the tiny courtyard area on the Jewel Class ships.

My wife and I have stayed in OS 1006 on the Gem and absolutely loved it. As others have mentioned, the two balconies (front and side) allow you to be outdoors as much as you want. We also loved the front balcony, looking out over the bow. We never felt any different than anyone else in the Haven and we went there every day. Our concierge (Carlos) took very good care of us, visiting every evening to see if we needed anything. It was a little bit of a hike to get to the Haven but it didn't bother us.

Some like to be in the middle of things while others prefer the quiet. I'd take 1006 again in a heartbeat!

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Thanks so much for all the great responses. We stayed in the OS on the Dawn which we loved. There is no Haven area so it wasn't an issue so I just wanted some opinions. I too LOVED the two balconies. Ok, I've decided to stay with my original choice of the Owners Suite. 😊👍🏻

• 7 months later...
We always sail in an owners suite, haven't tried the mega ships to date. The layout and positioning of the Dawn and Jewel Class ships is pretty standard.

They are in a quieter area of the ship, but you can still spend as much time up in the Haven area as you like. We love the ability to spend time on at least one balcony, regardless of the weather (except for a few EXTREME conditions). Nothing beats watching, smelling, listening to the sounds of the ocean for us. In port, the front balcony is marvelous. We have never felt a lack of attention from butlers, concierge, staff on board at alll. In fact we always feel very spoiled. There are several perks you will not get in the Haven Penthouse that do come with the owners suite.

Love having 1-1/2 bathrooms, 10th floor OS actually has a large dining alcove, reserved seats to all shows, 3 bottles of liquor, all the bottled water and soda you care to drink. We have sailed OS on the Star, Dawn, Pride of America, Jewel, Gem (most several times), and look forward to the Pearl in December and the Jewel repositioning cruise to Australia (only going as far as Hawaii) next October. Be careful, if you try an OS--you could get hooked. As you can tell, the OS gets our recommendation!!!

just booked a 10th floor OS on the Pearl and have not been able to find out if there is a real door between the bedroom and the bathroom. did not like the 2 bedroom suites for this very reason. can you remember if one is there? Thanks!

That was exactly our take on staying any where other than the haven area . We had the owners suite and get this.. we were not allowed in our rooms until all of the ship was..causeee it was was not in a secluded Haven area. Having paid way more for this room than just a normal balcony within the Haven area .. that made us less than happy!

That should not have happened to you-did your steward turn you away from your room? We had OS not in Haven and just walked right into our room after lunch no problem. As a matter of fact our butler showed up minutes later.

Yes, puli, there was an actual door between the master bedroom and bathroom. It is a sliding wooden door.

thanks! i even called NCL and was told there was no door,,,,but I knew posters here would give me the real answer.

Owners Suite -- quieter [particularly if there are children in the Haven] and more spacious ------ Haven suite if proximity to Haven amenities important to you -- service in either depends on Butler -- DOS is great but no shade on balcony.

thanks all..decided Not to book on NCL after all .was given such a hard time trying to switch a courtesy hold to my TA (had a previous issue with NCL over a switch and bait type of ad a few months GO ) so will abandon NCL for now,, too many other cruise lines in the game.