Tipping the crew with items other than cash...

unisphere-roy

There has been nothing posted in this entire thread that has shed any new light, compared to the hundred or so previous threads on the same subject.

This is the 487th thread on tipping of some kind

Doesn't surprise me. I was just trying to keep it current to the last year or so, lol.

Actually I always thought the reason we did not change to metric is that the all powerful NFL was opposed to setting up the the markers as First and 9.144. LOL

I don't watch football but i think the CFL still uses yards. I could be wrong about that though. I'm pretty sure that say first and 10 whether it is meters or yards.

The CFL still uses yards and the rest of the country switch to metric decades ago. In fact football stadiums are some of the only places in the country where you can still buy a foot-long hot dog! :D

Hey, now that might make a good cruise tip - not as mushie as week old poutine.:)

GO Argos!

Actually I always thought the reason we did not change to metric is that the all powerful NFL was opposed to setting up the the markers as First and 9.144. LOL

And I'm sure that would be all the Patriot's fault LOL!!!

I don't watch football but i think the CFL still uses yards. I could be wrong about that though. I'm pretty sure that say first and 10 whether it is meters or yards.

The CFL still exists?!?!?

Wow! As the original poster, I feel honored to be post #100 to this thread. I never would have imagined the twists and turns this thread has taken - Pigs in chairs, Origami, $2 bills, metric measurements, Birthday cake, delicious chocolates, eye shadow, neckties, ammo, craft beer, 8x10 glossies, coasters, posts with a dose of snark and well meaning ones just trying to help me understand their point of view. If i missed mentioning something that was in your post, I'm sorry...it was unintentional. Cash is King (or Queen!) and I have always known that. I will not hand out candy or lipstick. I have met the nicest people on cruises...both guests and crew and my intention was to share the blessings I have in my life with others. Now, How do I get this thread LOCKED as there is absolutely no way anyone else could shed any new light on this subject!!!

I wish your post title was "Tipping the crew with items in addition to cash" since that might have given some different responses/eliminated some snark. Then again, this is a forum board, so probably not:rolleyes:

I'll try to add a little light since I don't think it was mentioned - and my apologies if I missed it:

Fill out whatever card your ship uses to recognize crew (I think each line calls it something else) and turn in to guest services. This lets the crew member be recognized by their superiors and can help with raises/promotions. We did three of these on our last cruise (in addition to a cash tip handed to them), and each individual seemed very touched that we took the time to get their name so they were properly credited.

If you receive a post cruise survey, complete it and note anyone who made your cruise a pleasant experience.

Sure they make sense - the old measures made great sense as they were based upon the people who used them. Miles came from the Latin for a thousand. - the distance a legionnaire travelled with a thousand "paces" (right and left feet). A foot was the length of a king's foot. Fahrenheit scale was based upon the minimum (0) and the maximum (100) people might to EXPECT to experience in nature - they knew water froze at a temp (32) above the lowest, and boiled at a temp (212) above the highest, expected.

Of course metric is easier to work with and figure out - but aside from that, how much more "sense" is there in the length of a kilometer than that of a mile?

I agree - the reason metric was not adopted in the US is because our general population was too stupid/lazy to handle the conversion - sadly leaving us increasingly out of step with the rest of the world.

No, Celsius is based on freezing (0) and boiling (100). Fahrenheit is based on the temperature of an equal mixture of salt and ice (0), and the freezing point of water, such that the difference between freezing and boiling is 180.

The reason the US can't seem to switch to metric is, like the $1 coin, we go about it incorrectly. Those areas where the changed to even metric numbers for standard things, it has worked well. Instead of converting 1/5 of a gallon to metric and using the oddball number, the rounded to 750 ml. And instead of 946.4 ml, they rounded to 1 liter.

Similar with most drinks now. They are metric.

But for speed, we put up signs that said 60 MPH/96.5KPH. Who would try to use 96.5??? Make the signs 62.1MPH/100KPH and see people use 100 KPH.

But a mile is not a thousand feet. it s 5720 which just seems like a really random number.:confused:

A kilometer is a 1000 meters, a meter is a 100 centimeters or 1000 millimeters.... Base 10, makes sense :D

No, it was based on 1000 paces (two steps) or a Roman legionnaire. Or about 5000 Roman feet.

I usually give what’s left over from room service on the last night! [emoji6]. Come on people this is silly. CASH only they don’t want anything but CASH

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but only because they have never had some good, Southern shrimp and grits! What a great tip!

I usually give what’s left over from room service on the last night! [emoji6]. Come on people this is silly. CASH only they don’t want anything but CASH

Not totally true. They'll gladly accept other types of compensation & even share it with their friends.

I've seen it many times when talking to coworker who knows them & find out I'm the one who gave it to them. They're more than grateful....depending on what you give them of course.

Not totally true. They'll gladly accept other types of compensation & even share it with their friends.

I've seen it many times when talking to coworker who knows them & find out I'm the one who gave it to them. They're more than grateful....depending on what you give them of course.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want, no matter how incorrect it may be. ;p

As other's have said, they are trained to APPEAR grateful. This is to avoid upsetting the giver who then may take revenge by removing their tips, or give the cruise line a bad review because of the "bad attitude ofthe service staff". Anyone in the service industry knows that trick to make the customer think they are "always correct".

Everyone has the right to believe what they want, no matter how incorrect it may be. ;p

As other's have said, they are trained to APPEAR grateful. This is to avoid upsetting the giver who then may take revenge by removing their tips, or give the cruise line a bad review because of the "bad attitude ofthe service staff". Anyone in the service industry knows that trick to make the customer think they are "always correct".

Believe what you like.

All I can say is the guys I tipped with "extra" gifts in Dec know what date I'll shortly return. We keep in touch by email.

Never worked in the hospitality industry?

Not at all but

there's a big difference between just a thank you & someone you get to know personally that greets you by name when they see you on subsequent cruises.

Number 4 on the new job orientation list: "learn as many names as you can - tips will follow."

Believe what you like.

All I can say is the guys I tipped with "extra" gifts in Dec know what date I'll shortly return. We keep in touch by email.

It is certainly possible to develop a friendship beyond the normal customer/staff relationship, particularly if you share the same culture as the person. But for the vast majority of passengers the best advise is skip trinkets and give cash.

The answer is yes, yes, yes....you would be surprised. Small gifts like this are a hit, on airplane, in hotels. etc., we have done this for years.

Huh? You give small gifts like eyeshadow & lip stick to someone on an airplane?

It is certainly possible to develop a friendship beyond the normal customer/staff relationship, particularly if you share the same culture as the person. But for the vast majority of passengers the best advise is skip trinkets and give cash.

Exactly. What floridalover5623 claims - if true - isn't typical and is a completely different situation. Just like I might give my barber, who has been cutting my hair for almost two decades, a gift for Christmas because I know him well enough to have a pretty good idea what he likes, I certainly wouldn't give one to the random grocery store clerk who rings up my purchases. To argue that giving gifts is perfectly normal is dependent on the relationship ones has with the staff. To tell people that the staff will like what you give them is horribly poor advice for the majority of passengers who most likely only see the people serving them on one cruise and will never see them again, so have zero idea what they do and don't like or need.

Floridalover5623, when giving advice, try to be more focused on the average reader's situation and not on yourself.