Opinion on packing cubes please.

vegasgal47

Until now, I would take the underwear and fold them to fit in the valleys in the suitcase to make a flat surface then take my slacks and have each one in a dry cleaner plastic and make a layer then came the polo shirts folded with plastic around them to prevent wrinkles, then the shoes at the wheel end of the suitcase followed by the rest of the packing like t-shirts, swimwear, etc. Kinda OCD but it worked for years. Took a long time to pack, then everything had to be put away and then re-packed at the end of the cruise.

A problem with this was that, unless you strapped the clothes down in the bag, with all the plastic things shifted when the porters tossed the bag around. So, I stopped carefully folding and wrapping the shirts and slacks and took them to the laundry room and did a quick ironing. Another waste of time.

I have now joined the "cube generation" and purchased the Pro Packing Cubes and start rolling. It makes perfect sense for things like underwear, socks, t-shirts where you can leave them int cube and pull out when needed. The polo type shirts and even the dressier shirts work well in the larger bags when folded properly. Unfortunately, the tux and formal shirts will still have to be packed as before, but I have that part figured out.

The electronics, iPad, MacBook Air, DLSR and GoPro equipment go in the backpack. The cables and other cords fit nicely in the BUBM travel organizer and slip in the backpack.

Packing is now more fun.

Have you tried the folders?

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-garment-folder-medium/d/1325C2574?CategoryId=211

I’ve used the cubes & the folders for years. I just recently purchased some of their new cubes & folders, the Specter series, which are made of even a lighter material which a sheerness to them. Some of the cubes are compression cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used the cubes & the folders for years. I just recently purchased some of their new cubes & folders, the Specter series, which are made of even a lighter material which a sheerness to them. Some of the cubes are compression cubes.

Do you like the Specter folders over the older ones?

Do you like the Specter folders over the older ones?

Although I have not used them as yet, the only difference is the fabric & sheerness. I am a type A personality to be sure and am usually packed long before my trips. With the sheerness I can easily tell what is in each cube or envelope.

Where do you find large zip lock bags the size of your suitcase?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The zip lock bags measure 21X24

The tràvolon bag I mentioned is 28 X 21 1/2 - that is a compression one. Sometimes I just suck a little air out myself. Although I like to have the extra cushion if I have my toiletries close to it.

I also pack a big piece of bubble wrap on the inside of each side of my suitcases. I pack light going since you never know what you might buy. But the bubble wrap gives me a little cushion since the metal sides of the suitcases are so thin. I use the bubble wrap in front of sliding doors of hotels and the regular doors. If someone gets into our room, the noise of breaking the bubbles will wake us up. A friend in the room next to us was robbed on a Caribbean island - he got in though the sliding door. I can also use the bubble wrap to wrap items I bring home.

I too used to use the extra large zip lock bags. We went on our first world cruise on Pacific Princess in 2017. While reading tips in the WC section on CC I learned about the cubes. Love them! You can get so much more in them than zip lock due to the gusseting. I bought some nice 6 piece sets on Amazon (not the most expensive) and some at TJMaxx and Walmart. They are so easy to use especially if you have a stayover on your trip. So easy to pull out the cubes and get what you want, pack them back in. No folding and unfolding and disturbing all your clothes. Plus all the stacking in your case really reduces wrinkling.

Many thanks for posting this question. We had never heard of 'packing Cubes' until I read your post a few days ago. Sent for some from Amazon and they arrived next day (set of different sizes) and then ordered another 3 in the large size (really grateful for the Amazon next day delivery, even though only ordered the previous evening). We are away several weeks on 3 different cruises so was able to pack for the latter part of holiday in separate cubes - this will save hours of unpacking and repacking and 'rootling' for stuff at the bottom of the suitcase.

Our grateful thanks for all the opinions you have all posted - a few more hours and then our great adventure starts.

Anyone use packing cubes? I'm considering buying some but wanted some opinions.

Do they save space or just organize?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I have some bags that I bought many years ago at Walmart. There are three different sizes and you put the clothes in seal it up and them compress it by sitting or lying on it until the air is all out. It works great but you have to be careful if you are flying because the bags will weight a bit since when compressed they hold a lot. Thinking of trying the cubes.

They look like just another gimmick to sell to people with the hopes of fitting more into the same amount of space. :D LOL

After all is said & done it equates to the same amount of clothing (possible less) packed in one suitcase.

Not at all! Probably doesn't make much difference as to the quantity of clothing, but it's the ease of finding and organising things that make them so great! Definitely not a gimmick, and don't knock them until you've tried them!!! :D:D:D

Not at all! Probably doesn't make much difference as to the quantity of clothing, but it's the ease of finding and organising things that make them so great! Definitely not a gimmick, and don't knock them until you've tried them!!! :D:D:D

I keep my clothing to an absolute minimum no matter how long the trip.

All my shirts are folded into one compact neat bundle. How could it possible help by inserting them into a separate bag?

My 2 pair of pants, 1 dress -1 jeans & 2 pair shorts into another compact bundle.

A few pair of underwear & 2 pair of socks stuffed in my 1 pair of shoes places between.

I wash out items daily & have my shirts laundered as needed.

If people pack large suitcases with that many loose items perhaps it's time to reconsider just how much clothing you really need.

I keep my clothing to an absolute minimum no matter how long the trip.

All my shirts are folded into one compact neat bundle. How could it possible help by inserting them into a separate bag?

My 2 pair of pants, 1 dress -1 jeans & 2 pair shorts into another compact bundle.

A few pair of underwear & 2 pair of socks stuffed in my 1 pair of shoes places between.

I wash out items daily & have my shirts laundered as needed.

If people pack large suitcases with that many loose items perhaps it's time to reconsider just how much clothing you really need.

I could never be as minimalist as that! I pair of shoes!!! I suppose it depends on the type of trip you are doing. Usually when I travel it is for a minimum of 5 weeks - usually 6 or 7. It's not worth the long flights to only go for a couple of weeks. Almost always combining a land tour and a cruise. Very often travelling through very different climates. For example one time I went from the heat and humidity of South America to the cold and ice of Antarctica in a matter of days! So there were very different clothing and footwear needs. Apart from clothing, I find the cubes great for all the other things such as elecronic gear, pharmacy items, toiletries etc. Not to mention hair dryer and styler, kettle, decent coffee sachets!!

If you only take enough to fill a shoebox, then yes, you don't need packing cubes, but for the rest of us - as indicated by the posts on this thread - they are the best thing since sliced bread!;p;p;p

I could never be as minimalist as that! I pair of shoes!!! I suppose it depends on the type of trip you are doing. Usually when I travel it is for a minimum of 5 weeks - usually 6 or 7. It's not worth the long flights to only go for a couple of weeks. Almost always combining a land tour and a cruise. Very often travelling through very different climates. For example one time I went from the heat and humidity of South America to the cold and ice of Antarctica in a matter of days! So there were very different clothing and footwear needs. Apart from clothing, I find the cubes great for all the other things such as elecronic gear, pharmacy items, toiletries etc. Not to mention hair dryer and styler, kettle, decent coffee sachets!!

If you only take enough to fill a shoebox, then yes, you don't need packing cubes, but for the rest of us - as indicated by the posts on this thread - they are the best thing since sliced bread!;p;p;p

My comments were based for travel on a cruise ship.

These are the ones I've had for 5-7 years and they look as good as new still. I've never had a problem with a zipper either. https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-6pc-value-set/288518?productid=10346308

Thank you my friend. Just picked up this set for $37.50. Appreciate your input and looking forward to checking it out before my next cruise.

My new packing cubes worked great on our last 7-day cruise a couple of weeks ago. It was really nice being able to open the suitcase and put the cubes on the shelves or in the drawers and just open them when I needed an item. Unpacking was quick and the cubes kept everything organized and neat for wear.

I'll definitely purchase more for the upcoming longer voyages this year.