On the Zuiderdam- Major Fitness Center Change

ksmaxey

Discovered that HAL has changed the hours from 6a-9p to now 7a-8p. No advance warning and it is printed in the orange welcome booklet.

Spa staff blamed the captain. Front Desk blamed the spa manager. Spoke to management who said it was Seattle. Given that it is in a printed book Seattle is likely the decision maker.

Big change because that means that you can't exercise and have breakfast before a morning excursion. I am a little suspect that they are trying to push evening activities and sales.

I was told it was because the fitness center was disturbing guests but on most ships, it is over the bridge and I sure hope they aren't sleeping on the bridge.

I have encouraged everyone to complain to guest services on the ship and call Seattle upon the return - be warned!

Kevin

It is more likely that the 6AM - 7AM and 8PM- 9 PM hours are the hours that had the least (or no) passenger use and were deleted for more efficient use of staff.

This reduction in hours will not even be noticed by 99.99% of the passengers.

Sigh. Lots of people start their workouts before 7am. . .

OP: thanks for the info. Quick question, since we'll be on the Zuiderdam in a couple of months: is there (still) a rowing machine (ergometer) in the fitness center? Pre-dry-dock, reports were that there was at least one Concept 2 rowing machine. If you have the time to reply, that would be great. No worries if not, and enjoy your cruise!!

My husband is going to be very unhappy to learn about this. The 6 a.m. opening time was already later than he normally goes to the gym at home. He always said it was pretty well used while he was there, so he’s not the only early morning exerciser.

It is more likely that the 6AM - 7AM and 8PM- 9 PM hours are the hours that had the least (or no) passenger use and were deleted for more efficient use of staff.

This reduction in hours will not even be noticed by 99.99% of the passengers.

I will have to disagree. While nothing could get me out of bed and into the fitness center that early, my husband goes there before 7 a.m. and has often told me how busy it is.

So why do they need staff there that early? I’ve been in HAL gyms many times when there was absolutely no staff in attendance.

One could assume anyone going to the gym at that hour pretty much knew what they were doing with the equipment. Do you think they might have reserved that early time for the exclusive use by the staff? I heard they were often very late night gym visitors - the dancers particularly.

Husband will be unhappy with gym opening at 7 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock. We were at the door before six and the attendant would come at that time to unlock the door. It certainly was being utilized that early.

Unless HAL is changing that too, your guess is wrong. DH is usually at the HAL gym before 6 a.m. and has to wait for the doors to be unlocked.

As a very regular 6am gym attendee, you are right. And the reason for the locked door is two fold. First, liability. Second, officers quarters are directly below the gym. Captain doesn't wish to be up that early if not required.

I do remember that last year on the N/A for our April Panama Canal cruise, the Captain would take the middle six treadmills out of service at various times because supposedly it interfered with operations on the bridge. I had never seen that on any ship before.

My husband is going to be very unhappy to learn about this. The 6 a.m. opening time was already later than he normally goes to the gym at home. He always said it was pretty well used while he was there, so he’s not the only early morning exerciser.

Mine too. Always the first one there at 6:00am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on 6 HAL ships and never have I seen a locked door to the gym. I am usually there before 6:00, open the door and enter. Almost always there is someone there before me. IMO The 6-7 time period probably is not as busy as 7-8, but it is used by the more dedicated gym rats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been on 6 HAL ships and never have I seen a locked door to the gym. I am usually there before 6:00, open the door and enter. Almost always there is someone there before me. IMO The 6-7 time period probably is not as busy as 7-8, but it is used by the more dedicated gym rats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If my husband arrived before 6am he had to wait for staff to unlock the door on any ships we've been on. He's an early bird but I think if it doesn't open until 7 it will become very crowded. And he's not a gym rat.

So why do they need staff there that early? I’ve been in HAL gyms many times when there was absolutely no staff in attendance.

No kidding, just about every time I've gone to the gym I've never even noticed any staff in attendance. Seems kind of strange that they even have hours. I've been in lots of hotels that allow 24 hour gym access with no staff in attendance. Why can't HAL do the same?

On sea days I usually eat a light breakfast and then workout, I've noticed the gym is very crowded the earlier it is in the morning. If you like eating first like me the place is usually empty by 9-10am. I usually see a staff member in the gym but on the few times I've used it after 6pm there is no staff there.

I also remember when we started sailing on HAL about 10 years ago I think the gym hours where 6am-10pm.

-Paul