The Gym on HAL vessels

rkacruiser

What type of exercise equipment is available in the gym, other than treadmills, on HAL ships? And, I am particularly interested at this time in what is available on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I know that the Gyms are staffed. But, what are the Staff's functions? Are they willing and able to assist a newbie in using a piece of equipment?

Thanks for any information that can be provided!

There are photos of each "gym" on the HAL website for each ship. Nice equipment and mostly in good repair. Stationary bikes, ellipticals and treadmills with TVs. Free weights and all kinds of weight machines and rowing machines.

Staff is not HAL and it is hit or miss about how helpful they are. Some were great and some were horrible. Of course, if you pay for their activities they are real nice.

They have restrooms, water fountains, towels and sanitary wipes in all facilities.

Finally, the view is great as it is above the bridge and forward. Tends to be crowded on sea days and empty on port call days.

Hope this helps...

Leon

I appreciate very much the responses to my question and the information.

I am glad to know that there are recumbent bikes available. Are there Biodex machines available?

I did not realize that there are photos of each ship's Gym on the HAL website. I need to do more exploring there than I have done. Certainly appreciated the 3 pictures from the Nieuw Amsterdam; thank you.

I like the idea of timing my visit with Sunrise. Now, all I have to do is trying to arise that early!

• 2 weeks later...
Could you explain what a Biodex machine is please ? I'm an avid gym bunny but have never heard of this ...

It can be programmed for strength conditioning or aerobic exercise, which is what I use it for.

Two pedals, two movable handle bars, obviously different resistance levels and other programming features that I don't use other than timing and the calorie counter. The machine is similar, but different, from NuStep or the recumbunt bicycle. Does that help? I hope.

I have not been on the N.A. but I know that three other ships including the Eurodam does not have any biodex or that type of equipment.

The group of bikes all too close together to be used are not available for general use - they are for the pay for class of group cycling like spin.

I have not been on the N.A. but I know that three other ships including the Eurodam does not have any biodex or that type of equipment.

The group of bikes all too close together to be used are not available for general use - they are for the pay for class of group cycling like spin.

Interesting. Makes me wonder what specifically is available.

Time to contact HAL directly, I guess.

I do not know about the N.A., but have been on a number of HAL ships the past few years (not the P'dam), and each of them have 1 or 2 recumbent stationary bikes and at least two upright stationary bikes. Use them each cruise (not as much as I should though).

ksmaxey is referring to the bicycles used for the Spin Classes, which cost money. (See the third picture provided by Crew News October 30th.) As ksmaxey writes, these are the Spin Class bicycles that are locked together when there is no class going on. These are NOT available for independent use. But, they are different bicycles.

Sometimes you have to look around a bit to see the bikes you can use as the sort of "shrink" in height when surrounded by taller equipment.

Edited by wander

• 1 year later...

I found the NA fitness center to be very well-equipped and underutilized, even on a Christmas cruise that was over sold out. I was quite happy and there every afternoon.