What to do in Montego Bay & in Grand Cayman Island?

tran93le

So I’m that person that doesn’t care for water excursions. I like to explore & take in all the culture I can. When I look up what to do at each port, it takes me to numerous excursions, whether is water related or mini tours. Of course there is that “just walking” around at each place, but what do you guys recommend that’s a must have to see it do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I’m that person that doesn’t care for water excursions. I like to explore & take in all the culture I can. When I look up what to do at each port, it takes me to numerous excursions, whether is water related or mini tours. Of course there is that “just walking” around at each place, but what do you guys recommend that’s a must have to see it do?

We walked around Montego Bay and while we had a fun time, there were 7 of us we were constantly bugged about buying drugs. Wouldn't do it again. Grand Caymen is complete opposite, it's clean and lots of shops.

Never been to Jamaica, but was recently in Grand Cayman and we didn't book an excursion, we just got a tour from a local vendor at the pier, it was $20pp for a 2 hour tour, we did the West End tour, there are several options and they will have you back to the pier in plenty of time to get back on board.

In Montego Bay we did the excursion through Carnival to see the Great House at Rose Hall. It is a beautiful old house and has some beautiful grounds and amazing views. It included two shopping stops. The shops at Rose Hall is where we decided to buy things. The first stop to the crowded strip mall was a waste of time. I would recommend it over exploring on your own just because we were not harassed at all to try to sell us drugs or anything else for that matter.

If you are wanting to have a day of just walking around and doing a little shopping, Grand Cayman is a much better option for that. You tender right into the shopping area and everything is very walkable and there aren't people trying to hassle you into buying things.

Have fun!

Just remember the people trying to sell you drugs are only there because tourist have purchased them in the past. If people kept their noses and pipes clean on vacation we wouldn’t have this problem. I don’t care to live in an area with an open air drug market at home, wish I didn’t have to on vacation.

Grand Cayman is easy to walk around & very safe. If you don't care for water activities, you could take a tour & check out Hell. Touristy, yes, but still fun. We spent 10 days in GC once, but it was in the 90's so I don't remember a lot of details.

Montego Bay, we have gone to Secrets all inclusive adult resort as well as Dunn's River Falls. The falls are quite a ways away, but that area also has a zipline and I want to say a bobsled. MoBay is one port where I would recommend booking an excursion rather than just wandering.

Probably best to ask in the "Port of Call" section but for Grand Cayman I've been there so many times I think I've seen everything. I recommend a bus tour that will take you around the island and see all the sites, like Hell, the turtle farm, etc.

For Montego Bay you can visit Rose Hall. If you want to venture further out I recommend Dunn's River Falls. You don't have to climb it if you aren't a water person, you can walk along side it on stairs. Avoid the aggressive vendors there.

People have said the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman is worth visiting.

Just be prepared for the $11pp entrance fee. When our tour stopped here, our guide said "There's the turtle farm, it is $11 to enter, then there is the Dolphin center across the street, it's free to enter"

We saw dolphins.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll being doing that same itinerary. So far, my plans seem to match what others are recommending, so that makes me more confident. Probably will do an AI in Montego. We like Sandals, and it's only $90 there. Grand Cayman will probably be a beach and shopping day.

I am not sure if help is still needed. I am Jamaican Ukrainian Tour Guide and I love my city, here is some of the ideas to do in Montego Bay.

Hip Strip and Dr Cave beach. There is a new Usain Bolt restaurant there and also a cool weed dispensary. Make sure you visit one of the great houses or all of them). Rosehall night tour is fun but a bit scary experience (not applicable to cruises but great during day time too). Bellefield great house has one of the oldest sugar plantation. ********* Great house has very pleasant environment. Visit Rastafarian village for the cultural tour. Ras Natango art gallery and gardens, great place with spectacular views. Rockland bird sanctuary if you like birds, great opportunity to feed colibri from your own hands. There is rafting also close by and small village. Millbrook camp for caves and maroon town tour. There are still free beaches around, one of them is dead end beach and if you come close to the airport you would see planes landing right over your head. It is One of the few places in the world that have that opportunity to see planes so close it was featured on few Travel TV shows. Visit downtown, there is a museum there at Sam Sharpe square and also a beautiful church nearby, many people visit craft market, fruit market, great way to try nice street food. Few really cool places to eat there. There is also a great place to see the view of Montego Bay and take stunning photos, i can send you directions. In addition, there is also very awesome organic farm right in Montego Bay and there is no entrance fee. It is bit hard to find as it is not marked on the maps. You can see how lots of animals and unique fruit trees grow. For more luxurious experience you can visit Half Moon Hotel for drinks and live band. There are also great hikes around Montego bay. There is a hiking group and couchsurfing group that organize activities almost dat. You can message me and I will let you know if we are doing anything Some people also travel to Falmouth for Luminous Lagoon (not applicable for cruiseship as it is a night tour), Marta Brae rafting and safari. Green Grotto Caves and some other very cool places around like Dornoch. Also Negril day trip is a great option or Roaring River. Of course there are also Chukka and Mystic Mountain and Dolphin Cove, a bit commercialized tours and pricey but many people chose for convinience. My list is endless. I can send you a full brochure that i give to my guests if you want.

Please contact me at beverly poitrast at yahoo dot com I have a semi-large group of older cruisers coming to Montego Bay next February and I would like to pick your brain about a suitable day in Montego Bay for our group and also to see if you would be able to accommodate our group.

We walked around Montego Bay and while we had a fun time, there were 7 of us we were constantly bugged about buying drugs. Wouldn't do it again. Grand Caymen is complete opposite, it's clean and lots of shops.

I agree 100%. Because of the hassles on Montego Bay, we now stay on the ship and chill out. More enjoyable with everyone off :D. Grand Cayman is one of my favorite stops. Seems to be more Americanized (for lack of a better word). The people aren't pushy and you're left alone when you shop in the stores without someone following you constantly. I don't know why that makes me so uncomfortable but it does. I feel like a criminal when they're following me around. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hi y’all, my cruise was amazing! I ended up going to a beach in Montego Bay. Forgot the name but it was such a nice beach! Yeah it’s true, lots of “dealing”. Grand Caymans I actually ended up doing a 3.5 hour sting ray/ coral reef snorkeling. That’s was sooooooo cool. Didn’t think I’d like it, but it was amazing!

Hi y’all, my cruise was amazing! I ended up going to a beach in Montego Bay. Forgot the name but it was such a nice beach! Yeah it’s true, lots of “dealing”. Grand Caymans I actually ended up doing a 3.5 hour sting ray/ coral reef snorkeling. That’s was sooooooo cool. Didn’t think I’d like it, but it was amazing!

Glad you had a great time. It’s good to try new things or something that may not be “our thing “. Sometimes we find we really do enjoy it and it opens up new opportunities for experiences in the future.