Bagpiper on Allure ? Why?

darceyg

Don't know if there's any significance, but I'd welcome a chance to hear some pipes on a cruise. I love bagpipe music. Anyone know if that's a regular feature on the Allure (or any other ship?)

He played for us in March....I couldn't figure out the 'why' either....Maybe it's just something to draw the eyes to the ship while in port (because it's quite audible from off the ship), maybe it's just something new and unconventional for a cruise ship that's new and unconventional. Who knows? It was pretty cool, though I'd rather hear Caribbean music.

On Oasis the bagpiper pipes during the C & A Diamond/Diamond +++ sailaway event on the helipad from Labadee and in Central Park during the evening. It is possible that he entertains at other venues as well but these are the only two we actually witnessed.

Long, long ago...on a "pre-inaugural" for Oasis of the Seas, we were told that the bagpiper was there to lead everyone into dinner. Who knows if that is the explanation now. All I know is that I am completely CHARMED by bagpipers, and "Scotland the Brave" will bring a tear to my eye...but many people are not fans, I know.

I look forward to sailing Allure next May and hearing that bagpiper. :)

We were on Allure begining of August? Heard bagpiper tuning up each evening. What is the significance?

Same significance as the piano player at the piano bar, the guitar player at the pub, the string trio in Central Park, I think they refer to it as "entertainment".:rolleyes:

We were on the Oasis 2 years ago.

We were told (by the bagpiper himself) that in addition to simple entertainment in the pub, his playing had 2 reasons.

1- he would walk around the ship in the evening "rounding" people up for dinner.

2- he would play for one hour before the time everyone has to be on board; kind of a" round them up" / reminder to get back to the ship. And has it was stated above by a few posters the sound does carry.

That's all fine and good... but isn't it about what the customer wants? :confused:

Nope it´s about what the top managers of any company think is best for making their stockholders happy.

From reading comments on this thread and on others regarding this topic it seems not too many customers are unhappy with it.

We were on Allure begining of August? Heard bagpiper tuning up each evening. What is the significance?

well was it a passenger who brought his pipes, or was it a member of the Entertainment staff?

either way, there doesn't need to be any significance at all.

on one of DH's ships( Big Grey Ugly thing, lots of missiles and guns and planes and stuff) one of his fellow Wardroom members played the pipes every time they pulled into or out of port.. In a Kilt. Just Because.

Long, long ago...on a "pre-inaugural" for Oasis of the Seas, we were told that the bagpiper was there to lead everyone into dinner. Who knows if that is the explanation now. All I know is that I am completely CHARMED by bagpipers, and "Scotland the Brave" will bring a tear to my eye...but many people are not fans, I know.

I look forward to sailing Allure next May and hearing that bagpiper. :)

for me, it's Amazing Grace. if you listen to that song on pipes and fail to be moved, you have no soul.

Archived