International to Domestic Connection at IAH

Free2bMeForever

I’m booking a flight from EZE on December 24. It is scheduled to arrive in IAH at 5:24 AM. The connection recommended by United only provides a 1 hr. 50 min. layover. The alternative is a nearly 7 hr. layover. Is the 1 hr 50 min connection even worth considering or should I just resign myself to spending Christmas Eve at IAH?

I’m booking a flight from EZE on December 24. It is scheduled to arrive in IAH at 5:24 AM. The connection recommended by United only provides a 1 hr. 50 min. layover. The alternative is a nearly 7 hr. layover. Is the 1 hr 50 min connection even worth considering or should I just resign myself to spending Christmas Eve at IAH?
First of all, you may need to check your dates. If you're flying "from EZE on December 24", you will be spending time at IAH on Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve, because the flight leaves EZE just before midnight and arrives at IAH the next morning. So make sure that you've booked the correct date!

Second, UA818 now arrives at IAH at 0545 (not 0524). However, if I am correct in guessing that you are flying to CHS, then the first connection is still 1:50 later at 0735. The next flight is at 1155, so that is actually only a 6:10 connection time.

As far as I can see, the official Minimum Connection Time for this connection (still assuming that you are flying to CHS) is 1:25. If the scheduled connection was exactly 1:25, you could still expect to make it on most occasions. You'd have 25 minutes more than that, so if you do want to keep going and/or to avoid spending either the morning of Christmas Eve or the morning of Christmas Day at the airport, then you should have a pretty decent chance of making it to the onward flight. But it is not guaranteed, and much depends on your personal risk appetite and your willingness to put up with the downsides of misconnecting. If you couldn't be reaccommodated on the flight at 1155, then there is a third flight to CHS at 1945 on both days.

In short, the answer to your question is that the 1:50 connection is worth considering, but that's not necessarily a recommendation to do it.

Thanks Globalizer. You are absolutely correct. I will leave EZE on December 23 and am flying to CHS. I appreciate the excellent information!!!! I do have the option of flying Delta through ATL or UA through EWR. I may go ahead and book DL as I’m familiar with ATL and the connection there is 2 hr 46 min.

Thanks Globalizer. You are absolutely correct. I will leave EZE on December 23 and am flying to CHS. I appreciate the excellent information!!!! I do have the option of flying Delta through ATL or UA through EWR. I may go ahead and book DL as I’m familiar with ATL and the connection there is 2 hr 46 min.

DL has a much bigger presence at CHS than UA, so you'd likely have more rebooking options if you have issues on travel day.