Unvaccinated travelers may be denied entry to Singapore (new law)

juanarcin

Just saw this online (not sure if I can link to outside news sources, but should be easy to find) as a new change to the law yesterday. I have a cruise out of Singapore in December and am really curious about this. I don't have my medical records so I'm considering getting vaccinated again (read it doesnt affect you if you get duplicates). But I am curious what I need to be vaccinated against?

While doing research I also read that most countries have these type of laws, but I have never had to provide proof of anything, so I'm wondering if I should be concerned or not. I've mostly been to European, American and Caribbean Countries not sure if Asia has a different way of doing things.

I think there are recommended vaccines, but not required vaccines. This is cut and pasted from the CDC website.

All travelers

You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination. Some vaccines may also be required for travel.

Routine vaccinesMake sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot.

get_vaccinated.pnghygiene.pngMost travelers

Get travel vaccines and medicines because there is a risk of these diseases in the country you are visiting.

Hepatitis ACDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Singapore, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

get_vaccinated.pngeat_drink.pngTyphoidYou can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Singapore. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Okay, I now see the new proposals for certain vaccinations. The ministry offered assurances that any new powers "will be exercised judiciously" and that travellers arriving in Singapore while unwell would not be turned away.

Edited by hubofhockey

Don't count on a duplicate not affecting you. Not all vaccines are good for life.

And I couldn't find anything about vaccines required for Singapore although read recommended.

Check to see if you have a local branch of Passport Health. That is where you'll get update advice.

But I am curious what I need to be vaccinated against?
Reading the news reports, the answer appears to be "Nobody knows". The proposal seems to be in such an embryonic state that there are no firm lists of which diseases might go onto it, if the law is ever enacted.

I don't think it's the case that most countries already have these kinds of laws. And even those which do seem mostly to confine the requirement to yellow fever (as Singapore already seems to require, according to those reports).

• 2 weeks later...

Found this interesting so did some research; even though the article states "certain infectious diseases," it appears only applicable to yellow fever, and only if you are traveling from a high risk/at risk country. (That particular vaccination comes with a certificate for confirmation; I imagine it would get very complicated to confirm immunization status of those other CDC mentioned recommendations for all visitors.)

"Currently, people entering Singapore are required to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever if they travelled from at-risk countries. Those who did not have the jab may be subjected to vaccination, isolation or surveillance in Singapore, and travellers who refuse to comply may be returned to their place of embarkation.

Under the proposed changes, authorities will be given "discretionary powers" to turn back unvaccinated foreign travellers, without first offering vaccination, isolation or surveillance."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/unvaccinated-foreign-travellers-may-be-denied-entry-to-singapore-10470988

jaunarcin, in addition to hep A and typhoid as previously mentioned, the CDC also recommend ensuring measles immunity before international travel:

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/travelers.html

• 4 weeks later...

The yellow fever requiremnts if travelling from an infected country have been in place at least for the ast 40 years, so nothing new.

Also the CDC is a great place for information, but the a Singapore offical website (i.e. Immigration and Customs) will give the most uptodate and reliable information.

We keep a travel vaccination record that we obtained from the travel store. We have never been asked to produce it that I can remember. Certainly not in Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam), Europe, Australia, Central or South America, or the counties in Africa that we have visited.

We keep it up to date for our own reference. We take the booklet when we travel just in case. Looking at trips to Morocco and India now. It is so easy to compare the recommended vaccinations to our cards. Plus, we periodically check on Hep, Tetanus, etc. in order to maintain the shots.

Based on what I just read, potential problems with yellow fever are countries in Africa and South America.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/index.html

if you are not arriving from any of those areas, it looks like the vaccination is not an issue

The CDC is a *great* source of travel health information. But why would Singapore care what CDC says?

As noted earlier in the thread, if/when you want to know what Singapore requires, look at the SINGAPORE website(s).

Immigration/entrance requirements

Yellow Fever requirements

We keep a travel vaccination record that we obtained from the travel store. We have never been asked to produce it that I can remember. Certainly not in Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam), Europe, Australia, Central or South America, or the counties in Africa that we have visited.

The only thing I've had to produce *at entry* to a country is yellow fever, for Tanzania. Possibly China. (I just know that I lost my proof of yellow fever immunization document in China ;-)

I've been asked for other proof of immunization for visas in advance, however....

When we travelled to Tanzania, we were advised that yellow fever vaccination is not recommended for anyone over 65. Our doctor gave us a letter indicating the reason that we had not been vaccinated. We were transiting through Kenya which is an affected country, but we were not asked for proof at either stop. Our sons and grandchildren had the shots, but were not asked for proof either.

We will take the letters to Singapore just in case.

When we travelled to Tanzania, we were advised that yellow fever vaccination is not recommended for anyone over 65. Our doctor gave us a letter indicating the reason that we had not been vaccinated. We were transiting through Kenya which is an affected country, but we were not asked for proof at either stop. Our sons and grandchildren had the shots, but were not asked for proof either.

Where are you coming from? If not from a yellow fever country over the previous six days before entry to Singapore, it is not an issue

Yes and you only need proof it coming from an endemic country. The Yellow Fever Vaccine is much more dangerous than other common vaccines and especially for older people. While the risk from the vaccine is very small you don't want to unnecessarily get the vaccine.