Northern Lights over Millennium

excitedofharpenden

There's a thread on the Alaska Ports of Call board that's been talking about how active the lights have been for the last 3 or 4 weeks. It also has a link to the U. of Alaska's website that tracks activity:

http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu/

We're hoping it will still be active when we're there in mid-September. We saw a faint aurora in Iceland 2 years ago, but nothing spectacular.

Due to the clouds and rain along the coast in Alaska, the odds of seeing AB are usually not very good. Then you need darkness as well. Who knows, you could get lucky. We had no such luck, even on a clear night.

The website for the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is mentioned by Kartgv. The article on the website called "Traveler's Guide to the Aurora" is very helpful. And so far I am not aware that we have seen them in Fairbanks yet this late summer -- we have been cloudy and rainy since August 21st.

Thank you very much for the pictures. We have been to Alaska 3 times and have never seen the AB. It's kind of a bucket list thing for me, so at least I got to see pictures! Will have to go to Alaska again, I guess!

Thank you very much for the pictures. We have been to Alaska 3 times and have never seen the AB. It's kind of a bucket list thing for me, so at least I got to see pictures! Will have to go to Alaska again, I guess!

I is usually not visible in summer months, only from autumn until spring. To see it at end of August is very early I believe.

• 3 weeks later...
Any sense of port/area this was taken?

We are on Millie now, this picture was taken on the sail from Juneau to Icy Straight Point. Near midnight the captain made the announcement and stopped the ship for viewing. Spectacular! Seeing the Solstice against the backdrop of AB was surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...